• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Force - Super Rugby R2 Sunday 23 February 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

caymantim

Herbert Moran (7)
These games never go the way they should. Force always play out of their skin in the first game of the year.
Except the Force have never won their first game or their first game at home! I hope the Force cause the upset, but I think their combinations need more time. Too many new folk. However hoping I am wrong.....

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I don't think the Force will win,I tipped the Tahs by 16. But they went damn close to winning the first game the last 3 years against the odds. I think it might be closer than we think is all I'm saying.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Trying to put together a bit of a preview... who do Force fans think will be starting in the Force backrow?

Do you think Cottrell starts at 6 with Hodgson at 7 or will Hodgson and Alcock play 6 and 7?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Picking up from what Gaffa said I think Cottrell and Hodgson to start with Alcock on the bench.

Which is a shame. I love Hodgson as a Force man, but I think Alcock has surpassed him.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't think the Force will win,I tipped the Tahs by 16. But they went damn close to winning the first game the last 3 years against the odds. I think it might be closer than we think is all I'm saying.

I think it will be close but thats more to do with how the Force approach the breakdown. They are very good at slowing ball down and making life difficult for the opposition. The Tahs front 5 will have to be accurate in their clearing out if we want to generate quick ball for the backs. At this stage I'd be happy with a win, but if we're to reach Cheikas top 2 finish goal we should be looking at a bonus point win.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
According to the west the "Squad" will be announced today weather that is the actual team or the traveling party im not sure but we should see something today.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Trying to put together a bit of a preview... who do Force fans think will be starting in the Force backrow?

Do you think Cottrell starts at 6 with Hodgson at 7 or will Hodgson and Alcock play 6 and 7?
What i think it will be:

6 Cottrell
7 Hodgeson
8 McCalman

What i want to see sometime this year:

6 McCalman
7 Alcock
8 Brynard

D

daz

What do the Tahs supporters think of Hoiles on the bench? I'm curious to see what impact he will have when he runs on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
What do the Tahs supporters think of Hoiles on the bench? I'm curious to see what impact he will have when he runs on.

He suits a running ball handling type of game, but he lacks the physicality of other options

D

daz

He suits a running ball handling type of game, but he lacks the physicality of other options

Do you think he is a good pick up for the team, or would you have preferred to see young talent promoted?

I only ask because there is always noise when a veteran makes a come-back. If it works, the coach is a genius. If it doesn't, out come the daggers.

I hope he does well, personally.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Do you think he is a good pick up for the team, or would you have preferred to see young talent promoted?

I only ask because there is always noise when a veteran makes a come-back. If it works, the coach is a genius. If it doesn't, out come the daggers.

I think he's definitely a good pickup for the Tahs and fortuitous that he is around given the injury to Chapman (even if they aren't like for like).

Hoiles is a better option on the bench to cover 6 and 8 than McCutcheon. If you were looking to cover 7 then McCutcheon would be preferred.

I'll be interested to see if Tala Gray can force his way into the 23 in the next few weeks. I think he is the best backup for Palu who is the only player in the backrow likely to be routinely subbed each match.

Hoiles is essentially the 35th man in the squad right now (or 34th as Hodge hasn't been replaced yet) so it's not like he was recruited higher up the pecking order ahead of younger players. It's impressive that he's on the cusp of making the team for round 1 given that he was only an invited player at training and doesn't officially have a contract yet (to my knowledge).

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think Hoiles situation is a little different to most older players making a come back. He isn't an old player coming back after a stint off chasing money (Miluania at the Chiefs) or a proper old player who got itchy feet (Matfield at the Bulls). I see this as a genuine extension to Hoiles career after coming back from a serious injury.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think with the big Saffa , cliffy, Douglas and Skelton there is enough size, physicality, power there and Hoiles brings something a bit different as youve suggested.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

dunno, personally I would have preferred young Timani to hang around, but he will be cheap and safe for a squad role

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
For those of you who aren't aware of it, the annual New South Wales Cellar Door's on in Hyde Park on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Why not start Sunday with a few delightful wines from our wonderful state accompanied by some delicious food before wandering up to the SFS for the rugby? Interstate visitors, look what we put on for you in Sydney when you come here for a rugby match.

Details here: http://www.nswfoodandwine.com.au/sydneycellardoor

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
a few of are flying in from Perth for the game,having lunch at the Clock bar--less of a stagger to the game from there!

M

Moono75

Picking up from what Gaffa said I think Cottrell and Hodgson to start with Alcock on the bench.

Which is a shame. I love Hodgson as a Force man, but I think Alcock has surpassed him.

I agree on Alcock. I think his level of play last year was above that of Hodgo but you can never discount the intangible lift given by having a good leader on the field. I think Brynard Stander could be excellent for the Force this year too with an injection of mongrel and he seems to have the drive to succeed. Would be great to have a really physical tackler looking to dish out some punishment. If Gus Cottrell continues his progression we will maintain a very strong backrow for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.