• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - R3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Is it too early to call the Reds conference winners if they get up? No way, not with there two return games at home.

Going to be a tough one and the Reds have the game to beat them. Don't kick it to Izzy, in fact make sure it goes 10 rows into the stands to ensure there are no fast line outs. Palu is way overdue an injury and will breakdown this week. FTA will be back at 13 for the Reds and will dominate defence out wide, if Izzy even gets the ball he will not be getting through and will probably lose it. The Reds halves will outplay there opposites in every facet. Reds set piece will be equal at scrum and destroy the opposition lineouts again.

All that would happen in QLD. As this one is south of the Tweed we deserve to be underdogs. Any side that loses with Folau at the back has tried very hard to do so.

Tahs by 2 tries to Izzy and win 32-20.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Is it too early to call the Reds conference winners if they get up? No way, not with there two return games at home.

Going to be a tough one and the Reds have the game to beat them. Don't kick it to Izzy, in fact make sure it goes 10 rows into the stands to ensure there are no fast line outs. Palu is way overdue an injury and will breakdown this week. FTA will be back at 13 for the Reds and will dominate defence out wide, if Izzy even gets the ball he will not be getting through and will probably lose it. The Reds halves will outplay there opposites in every facet. Reds set piece will be equal at scrum and destroy the opposition lineouts again.

All that would happen in QLD. As this one is south of the Tweed we deserve to be underdogs. Any side that loses with Folau at the back has tried very hard to do so.

Tahs by 2 tries to Izzy and win 32-20.

all Folau did was back up, the damage was done by others

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
all Folau did was back up, the damage was done by others

Agreed.

Saying that Folau was the big difference because he scored 3 tries ignores the fact that he essentially went over either untouched or was tackled as he scored in every one of them.

Other players did the hard work and Folau was excellent with his support play and was justly rewarded.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs need to stamp out their handling errors.

At some stages yesterday it looked like they couldn't catch a cold.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs need to stamp out their handling errors.

At some stages yesterday it looked like they couldn't catch a cold.

Agreed. It was markedly better than at this stage last year though.

Every team in the opening round or so of Super Rugby needs to improve their handling greatly. Dropped balls have been a hallmark of every 2014 Super Rugby match I've watched so far.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Horne, Crawford and Potgeiter in for Beale, Bread and Skelton would be the only changes for me. Although harsh on Alofa-Alofa I'd bring Crawford in to improve the kicking of the back 3, there were a few aimless kicks straight to the Force and Cooper will punish us if we do the same again.

Although its more about getting the accuracy levels up for the Tahs, if we can cut out the dropped passes and aimless kicking we'll have every chance of winning. Should be a cracking game!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Crawford was pretty average in the curtain-raiser. I wouldn't be rushing him back in at all.

The Tahs kicking was a bit aimless in the second half but there definitely seemed to be a tactic of preferring to defend against the Force around halfway or in their half rather than trying to bash it out of our own half, particularly once we had a comfortable lead.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yeah I agree, you would not be swapping Crawford & Alofa on their games yesterday.
In Crawford's defence,he was given very little opportunity.Our backs were very pedestrian,apart from Lucas who impressed.
In contrast I thought ACT had quite a few good backs,and they played much more expansively.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
If both teams play like they did this week (big If, I know) then the tahs will get pasted. I hope they both step up though - looking forward to a good game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If both teams play like they did this week (big If, I know) then the tahs will get pasted. I hope they both step up though - looking forward to a good game.

I disagree with this. They were very different games, but I really didn't think the Reds showed anything more than the Tahs did. Both sides played like it was their first Super Rugby game of the season. The Reds just had better opposition and had a closer game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tahs run with the same 23 against the Reds assuming everyone is healthy including the same starting 15.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Don't see any reason to change the 23 as I think all went reasonably well given it was the first game. Lets get some continuity and confidence in the team. Only change I would make is Potgeiter for Skelton (bring him on with 20 to go and tell him to assert himself). This also will help counter the aggression teh Reds will surely bring early in the game.

As for the reds I wasn't overly impressed with their display on saturday night. Cooper will have to be more involved as he appears to be their most creative player. In Sydney the Tahs should be good 10-12 point winners

T

Train Without a Station

In my biased opinion, I see the Red's rolling the Tahs. I think the tactics/gameplan and executing that with precision or close to it, being where it will be won by the Reds. Based on the two likely teams, there's not a lot between them really, with almost every strength in the man on man match ups offset by a weakness comparable to their opposition.

I think the Tahs forwards may struggle to keep up with the Reds forwards and a high tempo game plan looks like how they intend to play. If it was a bash and barge game I could see them being a difficult prospect, being probably on average, 5kg bigger per man.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is when the tahs season really starts.

The only Pearson that hates the reds more than anyone is the Cheika. I hope the reds win the game at the death again

Its going to be close, and REDS by 10..

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
On the two displays last weekend you would have to say the Reds will be clear favourites this week. Although I thought the Reds were very lucky to beat the Brumbies, who looked the better team especially in the second half, the Waratahs displayed some terrible skills and at times the Force looked the better team. If the Waratahs are to win then they will need to upgrade their performance substantially. The Force game demonstated very clearly where the Tahs deficiencies lie; interesting to see what tactics Graham uses but I think Cooper's tactical kicking will get a good workout this week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree, @Hawko, that the Reds would be greatly buoyed by the weekend's games and will see opportunities to exploit, but form in these first few weeks is often inconsistent, which makes it hard to tip (that's my excuse!!).
The ref could be a big factor, as both teams displayed pretty poor discipline at times, and rightly had players carded. This could be a critical issue, as I doubt there will be a lot of points between the teams, so 10 minutes of 14 on 15 might be the difference.
I think the Reds forwards will play at higher tempo, and Cooper is the more complete 10 and will control things better, but the Tahs have plenty of firepower in the backs if they can get a roll on - their best periods yesterday were quick recycles, changing the direction and angle of attack and continuity of phases (der!!) - getting the quick ball will be the key challenge, and the Reds are as good as anyone at stopping that. I think the Waratah handling shouldn't get any worse, and Cheika will be up them about the breakdown accuracy. Oh, and tactical / line kicking.
Should be a very tight game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't expect many changes for the Tahs this week unless they are forced.

Potgeiter might start ahead of Skelton although they may also prefer to leave things as they were. Potgeiter really lifted the Tahs forwards in the last half an hour and that could prove crucial this weekend against the Reds.

I think the backline will remain unchanged including the reserves.

Paddy Ryan deserves to start ahead of Kepu again. He had a strong game. Benn Robinson needs to improve a lot. His handling was terrible.

T

tranquility

Reds will win this.

Waratahs are a bunch of flat track bullies, who don't play a game that works in big matches. Watch how many penalties your forwards gives away against a side that is actually accurate at the breakdown.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Suddenly a few people talking up the Tahs game in the Force thread have turned this around. Nice try guys, only one team can be underdogs and all else being equal that will be the away side.

Status
Not open for further replies.