• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - R3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
TWaS: The reason why Genia will never be an all time great halfback is exactly this. Behind a pack going forward he can be magic. Behind a pack going backwards he looks awful and gets a dose of the cranks at everyone else into the bargain.

Ken Catchpole on the other hand looked magic whether he got good ball or bad, going backwards or going forwards. That's why he is in the Hall of Fame and is our greatest ever halfback. Our pack in the sixties after the leaguies pinched all our best players was always second rate compared to NZ and SA, and sometimes third rate. But one thing could always be guaranteed - that Catchy could fix it up and get clear.
I think the telling thing is that the worse the forwards are going the more complaining that he does to the referee. Instead of reaching into the ruck and trying to deliver the ball he will stand up and be complaining to the referee while the ball is becoming even less playable.
Backs will always score more points with crap ball versus no ball

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No doubt the mark of a champion is how they perform when the going is tough or they are part of a non-dominant team.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I've long thought that Michael Cheika was a very very good coach. The ban on sledging the opposition and associated trash talk by the Waratahs puts him even higher in my estimation. The fact that the whole team followed instructions is a testament to the confidence and respect that he instils in players.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Ken Catchpole on the other hand looked magic whether he got good ball or bad, going backwards or going forwards. That's why he is in the Hall of Fame and is our greatest ever halfback. Our pack in the sixties after the leaguies pinched all our best players was always second rate compared to NZ and SA, and sometimes third rate. But one thing could always be guaranteed - that Catchy could fix it up and get clear.

And notice how Catchpole suffered at the hands of Colin Meads.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Gold that about Catchy—I thought he was the greatest Wallaby ever, let alone our best halfback, though, no doubt others who never saw him play at the ground will say differently.

The late John Hipwell was another crapmeister. He and Catchpole were the best passers we have ever had: not in the beauty of their deliveries, but in their effectiveness in dispatching well whatever quality of pill they got.

Mind you Catchy and Hippy had so much practice with crap ball that they had to get good at it.

NFJ became a good passer but he came in at the time when our forwards were going well.

Catchpole and Hipwell must have practised a lot with their feet and body in the wrong position. It's a pity that current scrumhalves don't practise like that in drills.

Modern scrummies routinely get their outside foot in the wrong position to swing the ball from the deck; so they have to put in a backswing before they can pass it. Others stand up to pass the pill like a "forward press" in a golf swing, or take a couple of little steps, to get a rhythm.

To be fair: no coach told them how much time they robbed from their backs in doing those things, probably.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Surely it's no coincidence that in the corresponding fixture last year Tom Carter made a cock of himself by celebrating 30s too early, then Cheiks implements a poker face policy.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Don't understand the criticism of Jackson's performance at all tbh. Superb referee that will never kill a good game and, to use my signature, let the boys play footy.

Jackson's only flaw is that when teams turn up looking to grind and play cynically he doesn't know what the fuck to do

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Jackson's only flaw is that when teams turn up looking to grind and play cynically he doesn't know what the fuck to do

Which is sort of when you need a good referee isn't it?

The guy is just a spectator with a whistle, when it's one sided he looks like a genius because he doesn't really have to do anything. As soon as the pressure is on, well, you know the rest...:)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Don't understand the criticism of Jackson's performance at all tbh. Superb referee that will never kill a good game and, to use my signature, let the boys play footy.

Good point

Maybe it runs against the instinct of a former player.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)

Which is sort of when you need a good referee isn't it?

The guy is just a spectator with a whistle, when it's one sided he looks like a genius because he doesn't really have to do anything. As soon as the pressure is on, well, you know the rest.:)

I wouldn't put Jackson in charge of a World Cup final or a massive game but he is more than fit to take charge of your average super rugby game... good referee for a particular type of game basically

Richo

John Thornett (49)

You must have been vacationing on Mars when he reffed the Reds v Brumbies last year.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
You must have been vacationing on Mars when he reffed the Reds v Brumbies last year.

No I was sitting in section 712 roaring for a penalty try + YC.. yes he does have flaws but I think on the whole he is a strong ref

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

I have heard at times some people claim that others have been vacationing up Uranus way.

I lay no claim to being an astrophysicist but I think that being up Uranus way is further than up Mars.

Reminds me of the much quoted story about the Charleville Banjo Ensemble, the ladder, and the lads mother climbing said ladder.

Absolute cringeworthy classic Dads Joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.