• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - R3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Hoiles and Dennis both have something to offer Waratahs 2014. The lineout didn't work last night and that may be as simple as it was Hoiles' first start whereas Dennis played all last season. I suspect that Hoiles will be able to improve and the poor lineout can't be his fault alone.

Both of them fit is a great problem to have.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Simply put the Tahs are not getting to the lineout quick enough. When you dawdle up you give the enemy too much time and they can read you. Get in and get out

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
If Cheika is telling the boys to not get excited etc, it confirms what I think of him, he got the nous to be a bloody good coach, and if they stick with hardnosed attitude I will back what I said a couple of weeks back, they will win Oz conference, and make a decent job in finals!!
Cheik is the kind of bloke that would not be happy with a grand final performance exactly what any side needs. In the des hasler, craigbellamy mould

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Simply put the Tahs are not getting to the lineout quick enough. When you dawdle up you give the enemy too much time and they can read you. Get in and get out

Cheika alluded to that in the presser. He wants them to set-up quickly, throw and get out.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lineout not a major issue can be fixed. I saw the major flaw to be the lack of explosiveness in the jumpers and lifters. They got beaten into the air by the reds.

Completely fixable. They better. There are even better lineouts to come down the drag.

WateringCan also is not that used to jumping at 2. He will get better at it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One of the issues is when Skelton is at lock they know he's not jumping and used as the main lifter. Douglas was heavily marked all night. Dennis back will help.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
They will get better. Whatever. Can't edit my post or some reason.

Doesn't work for me in my Firefox browser at work either, it just goes to a blank box. I click on "more options" and it works then, though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
They will get better. Whatever. Can't edit my post or some reason.

Sure this isn't just a language issue? :)

All those who claimed underdog status for the reds in the early pages of this thread were right.

In terms of underdogs, it was Dachshund vs Rottweiller out there tonight.

Mildly unfair to Dachshunds - they were bred to kill Badgers... But they couldn't have beaten Cummins on his own last night (yes I know its not the same type of Badger you cretins - move along!)

Bit unfair to Rottweilers too, as the Tahs weren't that clinical after halftime.

I'll begin to accept that Foley is a good 10 when he stops throwing forward passes, and learns to kick, accurately and consistently, out of hand especially.

Too many unforced errors.

It was a bit fucking wet at the ground. That huge pass he lobbed to his right was his off hand at pace about 20 metres. Understandable but yeah he should have just kicked it, or the winger should have come in.

Grumpy old bugger...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Re MoTM, the Tahs have started awarding it based on fan SMS and twitter votes, hence it has gone to Folau both weeks, and I assume it will go to him every other week as well.

This will undoubtedly bite them on the arse when the Tahs are beaten by 20 and the fans vote the MoTM to be... Israel Folau!!

That's why Ch9 ditched it after one game for test cricket- we got dusted by NZ in Hobart, Bracewell took 7-for and they gave the prize to Warner.

Mind you the press box used to come up with some weird ones.

The Cheetahs beat the Tahs last year and Wiley Coyote (Willie le Roux) created two tries—and they gave the gong to Benn Robinson if I recall correctly

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hoiles and Dennis both have something to offer Waratahs 2014. The lineout didn't work last night and that may be as simple as it was Hoiles' first start whereas Dennis played all last season. I suspect that Hoiles will be able to improve and the poor lineout can't be his fault alone.

Both of them fit is a great problem to have.

I'm not sure that a lot of the blame can be sheeted his way. The two problems I saw were jumpers slow to get up and throws that seemed to go alternatively long and short. Its fixable with a lot of practice and Dennis has got real spring in his jump, but I don't expect we'll win the lineout competition this year. The more important question is: "Can we fix it in two weeks?" The Brumbies have an excellent lineout and will murder us in Canberra if we don't drastically improve.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Mind you the press box used to come up with some weird ones.

The Cheetahs beat the Tahs last year and Wiley Coyote (Willie le Roux) created two tries—and they gave the gong to Benn Robinson if I recall correctly

Yeah it was always hard though, because they would pass around the slips of paper for voting with 20 minutes still to play, and you knew you could end up with egg on your face if one side scored a late try and snatched it as the Cheetahs did (from memory).

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
One of the concerning things for me last night was how much the Reds relied on Turner to hit it up all night. Shipperley started doing it after half time too. I know that used to be a Digby signature, but just put it down to they used him like that because he was good at it. Now it just seems like they are lacking options.

Turner will end up broken if he is expected to do it all year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spoke to Kane Douglas after the game, he told me it was about not showing any emotion to the QLDers, no sledging, nothing after a big hit, just get up and get on with the game.

987142-f79d6df0-a1cb-11e3-900e-99186aa12c4d.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-start-to-season/story-fni2fxyf-1226842985917

there was a piece in the terror about it

A SIMPLE hand-drawn picture has revealed how the Waratahs plan to dampen down the growing hype of a red-hot start to the Super Rugby season.
Wall-mounted cameras in the Waratahs dressing room before their record victory over Queensland on Saturday captured NSW coach Michael Cheika showing his team a piece of paper bearing a grim stick-figure face. The words “Poker face” were also on the page.
It was a message from Cheika for his players to not react to the heated emotion in the interstate clash, although it’s believed the combustible coach struggled to keep his own poker face when he later learned the dressing room moment had been screened.

T

Train Without a Station

Yeah, Glen Jackson is rubbish. He just didn't get the chance to really fuck things up last night.

Personally I thought he was woeful. My biggest issue was him warning a player for coming from the side of a maul and actually slowing it down, but not penalizing despite having a positive impact and other similar instances at rucks and around the park. Luckily his errors went both ways and as you said, were irrelevant to the score. We were simply outplayed. Even if we got the harsh end of the ref, we were so far off the pace it wouldn't have mattered. Next two weeks will be the big test to see how we come back from that.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Tahs great - Reds poor

Finally Tahs are playing as well as they should with their list - Confratulations - just hope that Tahs fans come out in droves from now on to support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.