• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - R3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

flat_eric

Alfred Walker (16)
Georgina Robinson from the Herald twitter feed reckons crowd just short of 18000.
https://twitter.com/geerob

I keep harping on about crowds but it does concern me. We know Sydneysiders are among the most fickle sports fan in the world, but if the Tahs can't get more than that after coming off a good win, against a traditional rival in the assumed home of Australian rugby than there is something very wrong.

Also can someone please enlighten me as to why they play these games at Olympic stadium? You could hear a pin drop.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Also can someone please enlighten me as to why they play these games at Olympic stadium? You could hear a pin drop.

NSW Rugby has an agreement with ANZ stadium to play 2 games there per year, until at least next year. As well as this, the Mardi Gras parade was on last night, and while the post match party would be going off, logistically it would have been impossible.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The week before there were less people inside the bounds of the rugby stronghold Eastern Suburbs.

Wet weather. Rail work. Early season nerves. Ticket prices that are somewhat unrealistic for the product on offer IMHO.

But here's a question for all the haters:

If the Tahs make the final and have it at ANZ, will you come?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Strange one that - haven't watched all of the game yet.
Cheetahs are appalling travellers, are they not?
The commentary included statements about how much fun the coaches have in Australia - that could be the issue.
last year cheetahs won 3/4 on the australasian tour and won another 2 or 3 away from home, pretty good at travelling if you ask me.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The week before there were less people inside the bounds of the rugby stronghold Eastern Suburbs.

Wet weather. Rail work. Early season nerves. Ticket prices that are somewhat unrealistic for the product on offer IMHO.

But here's a question for all the haters:

If the Tahs make the final and have it at ANZ, will you come?
I disagree about ticket prices.
Although I was underwhelmed at what those pricks at ANZ call platinum seats last night.
GA tickets were $25.
I reckon that's good value.
FFS I am paying $18 to watch Robocop this arvo,and there are no girls 7's at 1/2 tine,at Hoyts fixtures.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Spoke to Kane Douglas after the game, he told me it was about not showing any emotion to the QLDers, no sledging, nothing after a big hit, just get up and get on with the game.

Chieka is a master coach.

Sledging as a tactic is highly over-rated. By refusing to do it the Tahs sent another message. "We're just here to win, that's all we're focused on." I like it.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Great night for hooper, 100th waratahs captain over the reds, an emphatic win that could have easily been 50, and I hear he was voted players player.
Really enjoyed that the tahs didn't make a big deal of the win and will just move on with their campaign, good sign for Aus rugby.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Well done Tahs for an almost un-Tah like performance. While still early but can finally see Cheikas players systems and game structure that potentially unlocks the talent beneath the surface of players like BFoley, KB (Kurtley Beale), Alofa geez even that goliath of a kid Skelton - the treasures await the Wobblies.

p.s. Hooper classy character good captain material

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Because they get paid for it. The stadium managers make so much out of f and b sales that they are apparently willing to pay teams to play there.

18,000 is disappointing, no doubt about it. Especially when some genius at the NSWRU forecast a 40,000 crowd "hoping for 42,000" - according to Georgina Robinson on Thursday or Friday.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
It was very good to see the Tahs back up after last week.

The key for me again this week is the aggression, energy and application at the contact, both in attacking tacklers with ball in hand, tackling and accuracy to the ruck. There is a marked difference from last year and certainly years previous. The Tahs backs and Forwards actually seem to want to take the contact. Something in that screams Psycho Grey.

Again this week the big area of concern is both the set pieces IMO. Some will say there is no concern with the scrum, but I feel that there are weaknesses there and Robinson still doesn't look comfortable under the new engage. On that front the Tahs really have to work with Latu on his scrummaging. Against two middle of the road scrummaging teams the Tahs didn't really dominate except in a couple of scrums. I would like to see more. The lineout however is a key concern. TPN has well known and discussed accuracy issues and the Tahs were simply awful in this aspect last night. Perhaps one solution could be to move Potgeiter to 6 when Palu is subbed and retain Hoiles or Dennis at 8 to add another option.

As for the Reds there is not much to say. I expressed significant concerns regarding their defensive systems after their trial matches. That was was seen again last night. I also feel that they got a good win against a poor Brumbies last week and the true measure of their side was seen last night. The tactical approach to the game was very poor IMO with the Tahs back three supplemented by Foley and Beale running back the ball at every chance. The Tahs approach was seen in depth last week, so why would Graham have a plan to look for territory? After the first tries when the Reds game plan was falling apart, in spite of the Tahs lineout woes, they seemed to fall apart and their accuracy, especially at the ruck, disappeared.

I like the approach the Tahs are taking, it is clichéd, but they truly have adopted a one game at a time approach and don't even discuss the competition away from the next match. All focus is on that.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
As above Hooper was pure class. The captaincy didn't infect his game at all, he contributed in attack (in close, and chimed in out wide as well), and was strong in D over the ball as well.

Hoiles had a great game, he brought a whole heap more to the paddock than Dennis. On last nights game he'd start again next week on my team sheet.

Foley, I have never been a Foley fan but he is impacting the game. He created Izzy's second try out of nothing then backed up supporting the ball getting 2 touches. That is what you want in a 10. He never over played his hand, and played flatter and straight - thus providing options out wide.

Rebels - they also played great rugby Friday night. Enjoyed there game.

Fowi

Chris McKivat (8)
Really good game of rugby if you are a Tahs fan. Shame about the atmosphere at the Stadium. I understand with Mardi Gras the need to move the game, but it would have been a much better spectacle at Allianz. Less than 20, 000 for a Tahs vs Reds game is poor. Hopefully over the course of this season the crowds improve.

Thoughts from the game:

- As impressive as Folau's support play has become, he was not my choice as MOTM. As others have mentioned Ryan, Beale, Hoiles and IMO Hooper deserved it more. I was really impressed by Hooper. He got a couple of turnovers when the team really needed them, and he really led the team around well.

- Palu for the second week in a row played at his destructive best. Lets hope he can stay fit all season and maintain this form.

- The lineout was poor, TPN had an absolute shocker at the lineout last night. Threw a few over and then when they went short the Reds managed to get up and steal it. Simmons in that respect was very very good.

- The Foley Beale partnership looks very promising indeed. And I thought they brought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) into the game very well last night. He was very impressive, he really straightened the attack and will prove to be a crucial outlet for the Tahs moving forward.

- Paddy Ryan is continuing to justify his starting place over Kepu and he could be the answer to the Wallabies Tighthead problems.

Im curious about Alofa's disallowed try. Was it for obstruction? I didnt get a clear look at it, and Í didn't see anything on the replay to suggest it was obstruction, considering the try the Crusaders scored the other night.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As above Hooper was pure class. The captaincy didn't infect his game at all, he contributed in attack (in close, and chimed in out wide as well), and was strong in D over the ball as well.

Hoiles had a great game, he brought a whole heap more to the paddock than Dennis. On last nights game he'd start again next week on my team sheet.

Foley, I have never been a Foley fan but he is impacting the game. He created Izzy's second try out of nothing then backed up supporting the ball getting 2 touches. That is what you want in a 10. He never over played his hand, and played flatter and straight - thus providing options out wide.

Rebels - they also played great rugby Friday night. Enjoyed there game.
Agree 100%, BUT the lineout was a shambles, and it is too easy to just say it was TPN chucking it badly. Pods were disorganised, seemingly decent throws were getting pinched. I get the feeling Dennis does a lot in the lineout organisation area, and this needs to be sorted.
But yeah, Hoiles was great, and I'd be happy to see more of it.
But they gotta fix the lineout.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Agree 100%, BUT the lineout was a shambles, and it is too easy to just say it was TPN chucking it badly. Pods were disorganised, seemingly decent throws were getting pinched. I get the feeling Dennis does a lot in the lineout organisation area, and this needs to be sorted.
But yeah, Hoiles was great, and I'd be happy to see more of it.
But they gotta fix the lineout.

Agree.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
As a Reds fan this defeat is not a hard one to swallow It's a great result for Australian rugby that NSW is playing such a brilliant, emphatic style of rugby and realistically the Reds almost need to lose this year to keep the whole thing afloat. With 31k members their cash flow / revenue is sorted for the year already... plus we definately did not deserve to win, got hammered up front and got no quality pill to the backs. How good is the Tahs' offloading game. Awesome to watch.

If the Tahs' keep it up the fans will return it's about convincing the fans who left in '11, '12, and said "never again" after watching those diabolical performances. To convince them you need a few wins, tries, no talking yourself up and consistency. The Tahs' bandwagon will explode if they keep this up

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Spoke to Kane Douglas after the game, he told me it was about not showing any emotion to the QLDers, no sledging, nothing after a big hit, just get up and get on with the game.

Didn't last the whole game - within a few minutes of Skelton being on he was mouthing off at the Reds players. He was the only one I saw, though.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
- The lineout was poor, TPN had an absolute shocker at the lineout last night. Threw a few over and then when they went short the Reds managed to get up and steal it. Simmons in that respect was very very good.

Im curious about Alofa's disallowed try. Was it for obstruction? I didnt get a clear look at it, and Í didn't see anything on the replay to suggest it was obstruction, considering the try the Crusaders scored the other night.

I can add a bit extra on those two points:
- Tahs lineout throwing was woeful, some over thrown, but most under. As I said, the Reds should have put a guy up at two all night as the balls that were being caught at 4 for the Tahs looked way too low. If you look at the Tahs forwards, including reserves, there's no primary lineout operator there. They need Dennis there with Chapman gone. It got worse with Skelton and Latu on - Latu in particular throws way too flat to the back of the lineout.

- The disallowed try was for obstruction. A Tahs player ran ahead (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Can't remember) and bumped Horwill (I think) out of the way, and that created the hole Alofa strolled through. Looked like a good call from the replays at the ground, although the crowd still booed!

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Didn't last the whole game - within a few minutes of Skelton being on he was mouthing off at the Reds players. He was the only one I saw, though.
I saw that - I think he was telling Liam Gill to smile. No doubt Cheik will have a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.