• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs vs Reds - R3 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Cooper really misses Digby on his inside shoulder, the last few seasons he has been able to shovel shit ball to Digby and he was able to get over the gain line. Tonight under pressure is just went sideways and backwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well done Tahs, well played. You hit us where it hurt and stagnated our game. Full credit to you blokes.

From the Reds point of view, fantastic efforts from Gill and Ant Fainga'a. Their work rate in a team badly beaten was nothing short of outstanding. I don't like bagging players but Toua at 15 is a worry. His positional play and defense are just not up to scratch. If we wan't his freakish attack, we need to move him to the wing. Maybe a direct swap with Turner.

Two positives I can think of

1/ Second week in a row we dominated an opposition lineout.

2/ Deja vu from 2011 as we got toweled up in this match and went onto the title. No time to lose faith just yet.

One insignificant little note also. I love Chieka's dress sense for a coach. Respectable showing of the club colors without the Toppy looking suit.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So does anyone know what that poker face thing was about? It worked.
Dunno, but it involved Cheiks saying "Fuck" a lot after waving it around. If my lip-reading was correct. He made me sit up straighter a little bit. Scary when he rants.

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Love the score line.

Lots to like about the Tahs' tackle accuracy tonight ensuring that the Reds struggled to get much front foot ball which they love to exploit.

Cheika was typically honest in his post-match interview on Fox. He took the blame for too much focus on attack last season and gave a good wrap to Nathan Grey for the work he's doing with the team's defence. It showed.

Tahs seem to be fitter than recent seasons where the last 20 odd minutes were a letdown. Even when the game descended into a dogfight in the last 20mins or so the Tahs didn't wilt. They claimed the 2nd half 13-0.

There was a bit of speculation in the Tahs' thread during the trials as to how Alofa might fare in defence. Freeze the frame at the 56th minute mark & wince for Feauai-Sautia as Alofa cleans him up.

Beale looks wonderfully fit and happy. Apart from the try he scored he played a part, large or small, in the other 3 tries.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
At the game, it looked like the Reds forwards just were outplayed, they were several levels below the Tahs. The Tahs out enthused the Reds on both attack and defence; at the game the Reds looked clueless.

Few other points from the game, other than the obvious superiority of the Tahs:

- Some of the passes the Tahs were pushing were crazy - at the ground, it was humid and greasy and had occasional drizzle, yet it seemed like for the first 50 minutes everything stuck. Was amazing to watch. I am sure that the Reds decided to play it tighter due to the conditions; whereas the Tahs kept their same game plan and their execution was very, very good.

- Reds' defensive line was shocking. Didn't move up quickly enough, and was rarely straight. Tahs, meanwhile, were very impressive - up fast and aggressively.

- With the Reds pack struggling, Genia really looked off his game. Phipps looked to outplay him at the ground.

- Tahs forward pack provided wonderful ball for their backs, accuracy at the breakdown was much much better than last year. Tahs won the battle of the rucks, which surprised me.

- Hooper looked to have much the better of Gill.

- Hoiles ran through the Reds lineout on Reds ball all night; some smarter play and a chat to the ref from the Reds could have milked a few penalties there.

- Why did Slipper get subbed? Daley came on and the Reds scrum went to complete crap. The first scrum with Daley was right in front of me, and it was obvious the Tahs targeted Daley straight up - it was the first scrum they held in and went for the second shove.

- Two decisions I could not work out at the game: a) prior to KB (Kurtley Beale)'s try, Schatz was pinged for playing the ball on the ground. Looked like Phipps dove over and played it off the ground first, with Schatz then trying to stop him. I assume Schatz played it first? b) Taps' break, Folau tackled him and seemed to knock the ball away on the ground, Jackson ruled a knock on. Not sure what happened? Tahs were so dominant Jackson was deservedly giving them the benefit of the doubt it seemed. Reds were manhandled. Thought some knock on decisions were puzzling both ways from Jackson too, as was one from the ref in the Sevens game at half time!

- Big Willie Skelton was in la-la land for quite a while there. Surprised he didn't go off - at the ground it looked like he was about to topple backwards.

- Reds need a dominant ball carrier in the pack apart from Horwill, who is looking better at least in that regard. Palu and Potgieter and Ryan all looked very good at that for the Tahs.

- If the Tahs can play like that in humid, greasy conditions, I shudder to think of that they can do with a dry ball.

- Finally, the Tahs game plan is so up tempo - there were some very, very tired forwards by the 50 to 55 minute mark. Not just the Reds - Douglas was really struggling, as was Robinson it looked like before he was subbed.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
The signs were there last season and the addition of Beale really has taken the Tahs to another level for this season. Their attack looks so fluent and have the ability to score tries at will.

Agree about the defence, it looked really good this match, shut down the Reds numerous times.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

- Why did Slipper get subbed? Daley came on and the Reds scrum went to complete crap. The first scrum with Daley was right in front of me, and it was obvious the Tahs targeted Daley straight up - it was the first scrum they held in and went for the second shove.

Seemed to have a limp in the sheds at half time

Reactions: Ash

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stephen Hoiles contributions haven't been recognised by too many (excl Dave Beat). He was everywhere and was a major contributor in the success that the Tahs had in the tackle contest and breakdown work.

Hoiles was excellent. He's a phenomenal injury replacement and he's been incredibly lucky to get a gig on the back of a bad injury to Mitch Chapman.

If anyone deserves a bit of luck to keep their career going after some injury ridden years, it's Stephen Hoiles.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Some excellent comments by others that I won't repeat -- especially Ash.

For mine, the Tahs remind me of the Chiefs' approach in recent years. Attack the line, take risks, play at pace and recognize that Super Rugby is about scoring tries. This style works as long as the breakdown work is accurate and the defense consistent. Biggest improvements for me this year are ruck accuracy and one on one tackles. That's what's producing quick ball and shutting down attacks.

Palu is immense. The last two weeks have shown just how invaluable he can be for Aussie rugby.

Also, Reds fans on this forum and at the game have taken been very gracious in defeat. Good on you guys. I'm sure Suncorp will be a true battle. Much better team than we saw tonight.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
By the way, last time the Reds were smash like this was only a couple of games ago - the quarter final last year vs the Crusaders. Worrying trend?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
First off @Lindommer and @Pfitzy good to run into you guys and enjoy the game in your company.

Second, they should have locked the doors and made the Queenslanders watch.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Beale looks wonderfully fit and happy. Apart from the try he scored he played a part, large or small, in the other 3 tries.

Happened to run into KB (Kurtley Beale) and Folau after the game on their way home - mentioned to Kurtley that the Reds looked out on their feet. He said it was about doing them in the head space after the media talk during the week.

Certainly Cheika stuck to his guns on game plan - the key factor was a lack of rain during the game despite the sheer pissingdown nature if the day in Sydney.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
All those who claimed underdog status for the reds in the early pages of this thread were right.

In terms of underdogs, it was Dachshund vs Rottweiller out there tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.