• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

We haven't had a new rule in a while ...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
8. Don't start a new thread when you could logically add to an existing thread. Starting a new thread on a special or hot topic is fine, but not every thought you have needs its own thread. Just think twice about it, OK?

The need for this new rule should be self-explanatory. We have a "Special " category of poster, which takes away your ability to start new threads, which we might have to use more often.

And while we're chatting, any urgent submissions to this great democracy that is the Green and Gold Rugby Forum?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
8. Don't start a new thread when you could logically add to an existing thread. Starting a new thread on a special or hot topic is fine, but not every thought you have needs its own thread. Just think twice about it, OK?

The need for this new rule should be self-explanatory. We have a "Special " category of poster, which takes away your ability to start new threads, which we might have to use more often.

And while we're chatting, any urgent submissions to this great democracy that is the Green and Gold Rugby Forum?
That would depend upon the nature of any potential preprisals from the democratic arm of Green and Gold Rugby to said submissions, should they be deemed fatuous. How suggestive would you like us to be, O Venerable Wielder of the Cravat?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
fatprop said:
Your challenge is the logical bit

In most cases, there is a thread that one's idea could go in. But I do understand that sometimes a topic needs to have its own discussion. So I'm placing my faith in the last sentence of the rule to improve things a little bit, without becoming too pedantic or authoritarian.

cyclopath said:
How suggestive would you like us to be, O Venerable Wielder of the Cravat?

Well, pretty open to suggestions is how I would descibe myself. Sensitive, difficult or sexual suggestions can be PMed to me.

Tiger said:

I like you Tiger. You remind me of me as a kid. Maybe you can inherit this businesss when I'm gone.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Whether it's being sprouted or spouted, I hate xenophobia.

And the Dutch.

What did you have in mind, Scott?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I was actually being a little facetious, and including interstate hatred under the term xenophobia. But, in all seriousness I do get a little tired of constant and consistent 'digging' or 'fishing' of supporters of other teams by some on this bored. This rule could have two parts:

A. Zero tolerance of any 'clear cut' racist remark. (Maybe the mods can have a vote as to whether the remark constituted racism or not).

B. Ongoing 'fishing' or 'digging' of a particular group from another place (could be another country, or just another state), that is for no real reason, and could be classed as xenophobia. It starts as a ribbing and a joke, but week to week it gets a little tiresome. Obviously not meant to stop the jokes about banjos, sheep or transvestites, just to stop the ones that aren't jokes anymore.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Can I just say that I dont like the new bigger number of posts per page. No doubt there is a reason for doing it and many may prefer it that way but I dont. :angryfire:

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Scotty: well, that should be assumed. It drives me spare as well. Most of the guys on here are pretty reasonable about it but a few have built up an irrational resentment against other states or countries about perceived injustices. Count me in, Scotty, but I'm not sure if a formal rule is the go.

Gambler: I've passed your "suggestion" on.

biffo: stop fucking correcting people's spelling and grammar or I am going to hire a patrol boat, go up whatever south-east asian river you live on, and assassinate you in your white poet warlord den.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
biffo: stop fucking correcting people's spelling and grammar or I am going to hire a patrol boat, go up whatever south-east asian river you live on, and assassinate you in your white poet warlord den.
The horror, the horror...

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
FFS, this is meant to be a fun site where (just about) anything rugby related goes. I am aware that as soon as anything seriously defamatory, libelous or downright distasteful or insulting is posted, it is (usually) taken down pretty quickly. If you cant stand the heat, get out of the kitchen and get familiar with The Roar, Rugby Heaven or TSF. Until them harden the fuck up, quit ya bitching and moaning and make a meaningful, humorous, insightful or opinionated contribution.

Nick, where are you ? I may need some cover on this one......

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Well, defamatory etc is out, obviously. I am more pissed off about people crashing into threads with personal issues, grudges, provincial bugs up their arses, etc.

As you suggest:
1. Meaningful - check
2. Humorous - check
3. Insightful - check

4. Opinionated - sort of check. If it doesn't fit into the top 3 categories, then I'd probably rate this one a bit lower.

5. Generally argumentative and quick to take offence - no. It spoils my fun.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Scarfman said:

I am not anywhere near East Asia and I am far from a river. I am sure that is of no consequence to one who believes accepts that "palette" is just poor spelling or grammar for "palate". It is not.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Scarfman said:
4. Opinionated - sort of check. If it doesn't fit into the top 3 categories, then I'd probably rate this one a bit lower.

Fuck me, shut the forum down now. That rule would discount about 98% of all posts!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I like the idea of playing each thread on it's merits, don't bring old grudges into new arguments

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Gentlemen, gentlemen, could we all please take a deep breath, and count backwards from 16,853 to zero. We're starting to chew up some goodwill here which we might come to regret later. Or lose some members whom I'd be sorry to see go. This forum's supposed to be fun and informative for rugby supporters, as well as supplying drinking partners for my beer expeditions.

Please, could we all look on our fellow posters a little more kindly. Even if we disagree with them, and especially if they're wrong.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Gentlemen, gentlemen, could we all please take a deep breath, and count backwards from 16,853 to zero. We're starting to chew up some goodwill here which we might come to regret later. Or lose some members whom I'd be sorry to see go. This forum's supposed to be fun and informative for rugby supporters, as well as supplying drinking partners for my beer expeditions.

Please, could we all look on our fellow posters a little more kindly. Even if we disagree with them, and especially if they're wrong.
Hear, hear, Lindommer. :salute
Fun and informative. The 2 key words, I reckon.
If we can't have a bit of a laugh while we discuss the game we all love, it would be a pretty dour place. There is no need for another rugby forum like that!

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Who was against the funny bit?

I've missed the outrage here, which is really pissing me off.

I'm thinking of leaving.