• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Welcome Back To Super Rugby The Cats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Dunno about the Katte and wont read much into Keo because he is one of the BIGGEST anti Lions dose you'd get and for a good reason. The latest means the Lions have a few in house problems to solve.
http://www.thenewage.co.za/51087-19-53-Franchise_dispute_may_cost_Lions

May is GMans boet, maybe we should get him here and explain to us.

I don't know much about the whole deal, but this article feels like a bit of a fit up on the Lions. Someone was looking for an excuse to sink them and this is the whip they intend to use.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
gee probably the main thing that arks me about super rugby is present in the Title. farkin stupid nicknames on their own. "the cats" who are these cats? where do they come from? what relevance do they have to Super Rugby? do they represent a city or a provence or are they just for people who like felines?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
gee probably the main thing that arks me about super rugby is present in the Title. farkin stupid nicknames on their own. "the cats" who are these cats? where do they come from? what relevance do they have to Super Rugby? do they represent a city or a provence or are they just for people who like felines?

I think they're from Geelong.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Uhm, what would you call two teams currently named after cats from two cities 400km apart?

The Warthogs?

The Spoons maybe?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
In theory,

The Cheetahs should rename themselves "The Cats", add a bit of red to their strip, and throw 2-3 home games Johannesburg's way so that they can have access to the Lions' top 5-10 players. Everyone wins.

In practise,

There's too much politics and this would be seen as a huge step backwards for everyone in Bloemfontein and Johannesburg.

Glad I'm not the SARU, why didn't the idiots at least promise the Kings entry in a year that the broadcasting rights were being negotiated. It's not like SA don't rightfully have a huge amount of negotiating weight then.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Sad to see the Lions haven't carried their curry cup momentum into the super rugby season. Please leave the Cheetahs alone. They are on the edge of becomming the goods. Narka also seems to be a very inovative coach and not affraid to think outside the square. I enjoy watching them play.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)

I am pretty sure that before every game, particularly those in South Africa and New Zealand, they show the regions that the two teams represent on a map of the country. Usually before they show the team lineup's. Perhaps if you watched a few more of the games your questions would be answered? It's really not too difficult after you've watched a couple of games.

A quick google search or wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Rugby) may also clarify any confusion.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
What some people might not know is the way that the various levels of the Currie Cup are associated with SupeRugby teams. And those associations have changed over time. I assume that the Kings are currently negotiating a set of Currie Cup teams to be its feeder teams?

What I didn't realise is that the bloody Golden Cats (Joburg) won the Currie Cup last year! What's going on? Why can't they translate that into success at the next level?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
There is a big hypothetical set of associations between Super Rugby and Currie Cup sides but the only side that picks many of its players from minnow CC sides is the Cheetahs, and they don't pick too many.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
What some people might not know is the way that the various levels of the Currie Cup are associated with SupeRugby teams. And those associations have changed over time. I assume that the Kings are currently negotiating a set of Currie Cup teams to be its feeder teams?

What I didn't realise is that the bloody Golden Cats (Joburg) won the Currie Cup last year! What's going on? Why can't they translate that into success at the next level?

Not really. The Kings will be associated with the Eastern Province and South Western Districts. I htink these are currently feeders to the Sharks but barely provide players. It has always been the assumption that they are the main provinces to associate with the Kings.

The better players tend to play for the primary Currie Cup team that feeds the Super Rugby Franchise. There are a few exceptions like Sarel Pretorius who played for Griquas in the Currie Cup.

The Cats won the CC because they had a fir squad that came out of the Super Rugby last year and all went straight into CC. Most other teams had injuries and lost a lot of players to the World Cup squad. By the time the last couple of rounds of the CC were reached, the Boks either came back tired or were not even played by their provinces.

This year we are seeing the step up from CC to Super Rugby but in their defense they have suffered a ridiculous amount of injuries this year. They played a wide game in the CC and it worked but they have not been able to compete in Super Rugby and made chnages but the plan looks a total mess and the coaches have no answers.

The Lions need to take a rain check. Its' time. The alternative is very, very scary but let's have it.

And I agree, the real loser is the Cheetahs who if they can keep this squad can actually become a real threat next year.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I feel for the cheetahs. They are just starting to get a team together that could have a tilt at the title.

Why not merge the lions and bulls into one super province.

THIS WAS MY IDEA.

STEP 1: Merge the Lions and the Bulls together
STEP 2: Keep the Bulls' identity and Lions' colours
STEP 3: Approach a certain Austrian drink producer for a multi-million dollar sponsorship/private enterprise deal
STEP 4: Create the Northern Red Bulls
STEP 5: ???
STEP 6: Profit!

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
THIS WAS MY IDEA.

STEP 1: Merge the Lions and the Bulls together
STEP 2: Keep the Bulls' identity and Lions' colours
STEP 3: Approach a certain Austrian drink producer for a multi-million dollar sponsorship/private enterprise deal
STEP 4: Create the Northern Red Bulls
STEP 5: ???
STEP 6: Profit!

Um...about -150% chance of that happening. You try telling the approx. 40,000 extremely passionate Bulls fans that turn up to Loftus every week (and the hundreds of thousand others living in Pretoria) dressed in Blue, wielding signs that say something like "Ons Bloed is Blou" (our blood is blue) and have been doing so for about 80 years, that they will now be wearing Lions colours in Super Rugby and see how well that goes down!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Um...about -150% chance of that happening. You try telling the approx. 40,000 extremely passionate Bulls fans that turn up to Loftus every week (and the hundreds of thousand others living in Pretoria) dressed in Blue, wielding signs that say something like "Ons Bloed is Blou" (our blood is blue) and have been doing so for about 80 years, that they will now be wearing Lions colours in Super Rugby and see how well that goes down!

I think he's joking.

Still the fans don't seem to mind the pink that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.