• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wellngton 7's: 28 & 29 January

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SA 45-0 France. Complete annihilation, it's gunna take something very, very special to beat these guys.

Cup SF:
Scotland v Fiji
Canada v South Africa

5th Place SF:
England v New Zealand
Argentina v France

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If the drinking restrictions/fun police issues remain, would anywhere else in NZ get a decent crowd even if they moved it?

Related question; what does it say about sevens if only people wanting to get blind drunk are interested in attending?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I genuinely believe 7s should be treated as a festival. Ultimately it's a 7/8hr day, where the team you are interested in is only involved for less than 45mins of that. Take away incentive for young people to social (drink) you will obviously lose crowd numbers. As for making it family friendly, test cricket is family friendly and we all know how crowds around the world have reacted to that. Should I take my son/daughter to go and sit in the sun for 7/8hrs, yeh...nah no thanks.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It is just beyond belief that Enzed would be dropped from the circuit.

I have a suspicion this will be the case. With the investment that world rugby, alibaba and the Chinese government have recently reached I get the sneaky suspicion that we could see a Chinese leg in the coming years. With the way the series swings over to Asia after nz/aus legs it would make it very easy to accommodate into the schedule. Plus then there is the fact that China = $

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the drinking restrictions/fun police issues remain, would anywhere else in NZ get a decent crowd even if they moved it?

Related question; what does it say about sevens if only people wanting to get blind drunk are interested in attending?

1. How strictly licensing conditions etc are enforced comes down to the Police's licensing branch: Wellington's is notoriously picky, somewhere else's possibly less so.

2. I'd say there's about 0.05% who just want to get blind drunk vs 59.95% who want to be able to have a decent beer or wine without going OTT. Unfortunately in getting rid of the minority, they've pissed off so many of the majority that clearly most of them aren't going back. Ever.

I have a suspicion this will be the case. With the investment that world rugby, alibaba and the Chinese government have recently reached I get the sneaky suspicion that we could see a Chinese leg in the coming years. With the way the series swings over the Asia after nz/aus legs it would make it very easy to accommodate into the schedule. Plus then there is the fact that China = $

I suspect you're right, Shanghai Sevens has a nice ring to it...........

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Kenya 19-12 USA
Australia 24-10 Wales

Kenya v Straya for Challenge Trophy aka ninth place.

NZ 24-0 England
Argentina 19-14 France

NZ v Argentina for fifth place.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HT SA 14-0 Canada: was 7-0 until Kwagga Smith picked up a loose pass & scooted, until then Canada were looking better than any of SA's other victims I mean opponents so far. Probably won't do SA any harm to get a decent workout in the SF, either.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I cry evertim

Still very happy for the boys.

I reckon that we're in that 6-10th sort of group and as long as we get into the cup quarters in most of the events, I'll never be too unhappy with the performance.

T

TOCC

Australia played crap yesterday, but it doesn't help when pooled against Fiji and South Africa the two best teams in the tournament this weekend..

A lot gets made about the passing and support play skills by the Australians, but i reckon their defence is one do the weakest aspects, I'd love to see the number of tackles missed and their tackle success rate.

Compared to South Africa, their defence is their best attack, they defend like demons, force turnovers and counter attack effectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
HT Kenya 14-7 Australia who only had one possession, suggesting that if they can get & keep their hands on the ball they're well in this.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
FT Kenya 19-17 Australia.

Stannard almost sent it into extra time with what would've been a miracle conversion from the sideline but put it a fraction wide. Great effort in shit goalkicking conditions, tho.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I hope the "high tackle" penalties aren't as ridiculous in XV's as they've been in Sevens.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have a suspicion this will be the case. With the investment that world rugby, alibaba and the Chinese government have recently reached I get the sneaky suspicion that we could see a Chinese leg in the coming years. With the way the series swings over to Asia after nz/aus legs it would make it very easy to accommodate into the schedule. Plus then there is the fact that China = $

Not to mention the fact that China already hosts a leg. It's called "Hong Kong".

Status
Not open for further replies.