• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wendell Sailor and the ARU

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Funny how guys like this are strangely silent until they have some other agenda to push, ie; a book to sell. If this was so disconcerting then why wait until now to air your grievances. Dell should go and hide back under the rock from whence he came.

Mate Dell has never hidden under a rock or behind a keyboard on the internet. This is an excerpt from his book and a subject that the journalists took interest in, should he not discuss the topics which may cause controversy?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
To be honest I am sick of this whinging prick already. He knows he f***ed up, and why didn't his wife, family, friends etc sort him out, why is it your employers responsibilty to fix up his stupidity? Perhaps his so called friends didn't care about him either!!

Fuck I dislike all this I am owed everything, because me and my family/friends can't or won't help me sort out my life , so someone everyone needs to moddlecoddle me!!

Like wasn't enough for this post. Thank you for the sanity.

It is time that more people took full responsibility for their actions rather than finding excuses. Stop whinging and do what needs to be done.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The complaint against ARU is a funny one, and I wonder if it wasn't under legal advise as they had chosen to terminate his contract.

Counselling to me would only be offered to any employee, from a business point of view, if they thought he was worth salvaging or was a statutory requirement.

Because really, on his wages at the time, he could buy his own time in front of a counselor, if he thought it was necessary.

He seems to imply that the ARU should have provided him counselling or more assistance in moving to Sydney.

Unbelievable. What a shocking role model.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It might be worth pointing out that Wendell probably did not write much, if anything, of this book.

My guess is that he might not have even read it!

I, for one, would not like to read a ghost-written "autobiography" of my life, written purely for the purposes of making money for the writer, and the publisher, with a little bit left over for the subject.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
At this stage Dell is firmly in the NRL camp and anything he can do to have a poke at the ARU is encouraged by them. And to compare him with KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) is ridiculous.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
They never offered any counselling to Tara (his wife) or to me. They didn't offer us any help or any services.

This really gets me angry, if you are concerned for your wife and families welfare then maybe you should organise counselling if that is what you think is necessary.

Or even better still, why not try to keep your family away from harm.

I am assuming that he was not addicted to Cocaine as he only tested positive once in a long career that he would have been tested throughout. So he cant blame an addiction as the problem, unfortunately he only has one person to blame, himself.

Is he still with his wife? Is this his way of shifting the blame for issues off of himself?

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
To the people saying he's not taking responsibility for his actions, don't judge him by that one passage. Having heard a couple of interviews with him about this (haven't read the book but I intend to) he does take full responsibility and admits he was in the wrong for a long time. People want to hear his story and we're getting the story about his time in rugby from his perspective. He's certainly not blaming the ARU for his problems and I think it's pretty harsh to have a to at him for being precious etc when he had pretty severe mental health issues and none of us know exactly what he was going through and what his mental state was like.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
As a Tahs supporter who watch a good season implode because of Dell's stupidity, I don't have much sympathy.

As another Tahs supporter who watched a good season implode because of Dell's stupidity I don't have ANY sympathy. Suspended on the eve of a semifinal if my memory serves me well, he single-handedly blew up our whole campaign. Good riddance to bad rubbish, the ARU owed him absolutely nothing but a kick up the arse.

Reactions: BPC

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Dell has got to take full responsibility for his actions (not just talk about it) and that doesn't include a blindsided shot at his former employer.

What gets up my nose in this thread and the public in general is the linking of Quade Cooper to Beale and O'Connor. There is now a big point of difference between these blokes and it gets totally ignored.

We talk about owning our actions, taking responsibility and changing our ways and maturing, though what is it worth?

Say what you want about Quade Cooper's game on the field but he has done a bloody good job in growing up off it. Without doubt he has done some stupid bloody things in the past and he has copped the punishment as he should but, since then the bloke has done a bloody fantastic job of growing up. He has faced some pretty significant tests and passed without fail. If some lowlife, scumbag grub tipped a beer over me at the pub I can't honestly say I wouldn't have responded in anger.

Quade Cooper has reached a point the other two have not and quite frankly full credit to him for doing so. He has done really well in doing so.

It is time to move on from bullshit stereotypes from the past. He has become by far a bigger man those that keep raising them and a far more decent human being than those little piss ants that keep booing him.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey Dell, I'm really sorry about the ARU not calling you to offer payment for counseling after you were suspended for two years, ruined a great Tahs season and quite obviously done with Rugby.

Bring it in a little closer Dell, here's the thing.

YOU GOT BANNED FROM PROFESSIONAL SPORT FOR TWO YEARS. FOR BEING UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF A CLASS A DRUG. If you were caught driving or in possession of it, YOU WOULD STILL BE LOCKED UP AT LONG BAY TODAY. Do you think people would accept it if Lance Armstrong complained the TdF didn't offer his wife and family counseling after he was found to be doping?

Here's a hint, they wouldn't. This is because when you're paid as much as you are to REPRESENT YOUR COUNTRY and BE A ROLE MODEL, people aren't exactly sympathetic if you are found to be LETTING YOUR ENTIRE COUNTRY DOWN.

You're lucky the NRL took you back. You're lucky you still get to see your wife and kids. Smell the roses buddy.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
he just needs to be loved. Is that too much to ask for a 32 year old male with a family?

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Sailor's on The Offload quite a bit, and I've never heard anyone from any country use the word mate more regularly than he does. If mate were salt and pepper, he'd ruin every meal. It's like he's a smurf, but just replaced the word smurf with mate. It's distracting. I counted the number of times he used it when interviewing SBW after the grand final: six times in a 30-word sentence -- a full fifth of his words in that sentence were just mate.

This really shouldn't bother anyone, but my wife and I both teach English, so it particularly stands out for us word geeks.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Sailor's on The Offload quite a bit, and I've never heard anyone from any country use the word mate more regularly than he does. If mate were salt and pepper, he'd ruin every meal. It's like he's a smurf, but just replaced the word smurf with mate. It's distracting. I counted the number of times he used it when interviewing SBW after the grand final: six times in a 30-word sentence -- a full fifth of his words in that sentence were just mate.

This really shouldn't bother anyone, but my wife and I both teach English, so it particularly stands out for us word geeks.

Maaaaaaaate. At least he was not saying "dude". The Americanisation of Aussie english is rotting our culture.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)

Hey, I am not even an english teacher but boy a helluva lot of things manage to piss me off.

Started around a decade ago, still here and probably entrenched for all time...absolutely. Everything is absolutely nowadays.

Going to the movies? Absolutely.
Umm, you meant yes?
Drives me fucking bonkers. But then again, why have to think about your words when you can just say absolutely every ten seconds?

Concerning. Don't get me started.

It was concerning to me. I mean, what the fuck does it even mean? It is a completely meaningless sentence. I THINK they mean "it was of concern to me', or are they egocentric and are saying it was about them?

Christ, I've heard the fucking prime minister say that 'it was concerning'.

About fucking what was it 'concerning'? Oh, you meant (I think) you felt the matter had some importance? Well fucking say so.

Man, the level of education in society.

Status
Not open for further replies.