• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Whatever happened to Stefano Hunt? Hardly likely to be a replacement for JOC (James O'Connor) if he goes, but I was hearing good things about him or where these reports beat up because he was related karmichael?

He was fairly over rated, I believe. If you read TWF forums you'd think he was a future giant killer, but unfortunately...nope. Other reports have had him at a club level player. I think he was a bit of a "speccy" from the Force.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Hodgson to commit to Force

NICK TAYLOR, The West AustralianApril 19, 2011, 9:24 am

Wallabies back-rower Matt Hodgson is today set to show his faith in the Western Force by re-signing for the club for another two years.

The 29-year-old flanker will join fellow forwards Nathan Sharpe and Ben McCalman in committing his future to the side despite their on-field struggles this season.

Hodgson, who made his Test debut for the Wallabies against Fiji last year, was ruled out for at least a month after falling heavily in a line-out during the shock 26-25 loss to the Melbourne Rebels earlier this month.
The Force are still waiting to hear if star back and Rebels target James O'Connor will re-sign with the club.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
He was fairly over rated, I believe. If you read TWF forums you'd think he was a future giant killer, but unfortunately...nope. Other reports have had him at a club level player. I think he was a bit of a "speccy" from the Force.

He's back in Brisbane playing at Sunnybank. I am keen to watch him first hand as he was good when I saw him at Nudgee a few years ago. Also keen to catch his little brother Stephen who is in the Sunnybank Colts. The Force love to pick up brothers don't they? Didn't little Pocock and O'Connor both get a look in with the Force?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
He's back in Brisbane playing at Sunnybank. I am keen to watch him first hand as he was good when I saw him at Nudgee a few years ago. Also keen to catch his little brother Stephen who is in the Sunnybank Colts. The Force love to pick up brothers don't they? Didn't little Pocock and O'Connor both get a look in with the Force?

Having family at the club makes people more likely to stay.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That was a very good interview - and again, with astute questions.

DHP is right in saying that there is too much of a gap between the Shute Shield and Super Rugby. Too many of our young players get to Super Rugby too young and have to learn their trade on the job.

On the other hand more mature players, especially forwards, can get stuck in the Shute Shield and are overlooked year after year because there is nothing between the SS and Super Rugby to really sort out who belongs at the higher level. Often the wrong ones go through.

Even if they are the right ones and they are mature, they don't have the competition experience of a Kiwi or SAffer of more or less the same age because they haven't had training for Super Rugby in ITM or Currie Cup games.

I have seen quite a bit of DHP this season, though mostly before Christmas. He seemed to have advanced from when he was playing in Australia. It's hard to tell in the Top 14 but I was impressed by his performances in the Heineken Cup, because those are big matches.

Some people go over there from Oz and blossom like Paul Warwick of Munster and Brock James of Clermont. DHP could be one of those. I hope he comes back here and proves that he is a better player.

Incidentally, that player in your avatar, Imanol Harinordoquy, is a useful player. Let him know that if he has nothing to do after the RWC and is looking for a game, the Waratahs will give him a run, though we will have to rob a couple of banks first.

And we'll even make room for his Biarritz mate Takudzwa Ngwenya.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Thanks a lot... I'm not sure many french people are interested about the questions I ask but at least it is what I want to know!!

I really hope for him to go back down under for a Super Rugby contract, especially if the Force is losing O'Connor

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Stephen and Stefano Hunt?

Dad's name is....

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Sheehan and Stannard have both resigned for the next season.

NICK TAYLOR, The West Australian
May 2, 2011, 7:30 am

The Western Force have re-signed both their current scrum-halves Brett Sheehan and James Stannard for another season.

Sheehan rejected offers from European teams to stay in Perth.

"For a few months there I didn't know what I was going to be doing but I'm happy now and looking forward to the future," he said.

"I wanted to stay, I can see something good building here. It's going to be a good future."

Geraldton-born Sheehan, 31, who has three Wallaby caps, moved to the Force last year after stints with the Queensland Reds and NSW Waratahs.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/union/9293174/force-do-right-thing-by-halves/

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Some confirmation today of what we already knew:

Western Force winger David Smith will leave the Perth-based franchise at the end of the Super Rugby season to link up with French club Toulon.

New Zealander Smith, who played seven matches for the Blues and 34 for the Hurricanes before moving to Perth, has signed a two-year deal with Toulon.

Status
Not open for further replies.