• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

I remember when David Pocock was signed as a 17 year when he was still at Churchie, someone in the media at the time said he was the most important signing the club had made at that point. When you consider Nathan Sharpe and other Wallabies had signed at the time it was a pretty big call, but with Rabbit shopping himself around and Sharpey not getting any younger, David will become so integral to the side. His work ethic is literally second to none, and that will be very important.

From what I know of him based on my dealings, he will be in Perth for the remainder of his career - and when a bloke like that set himself to get a job done, you can be assured it will get done properly. I hope JOC (James O'Connor) stays in Perth, but if he decides to go elsewhere I don't think it will be end of the world for the club.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
JOC (James O'Connor) will be a massive loss and it looks almost inevitable that he is going. Not the end of the world though..there was a fairly high level of hysteria when Barnes left Qld but look at how things have panned out. The Force backline looks to be in need of some bolstering and I would look no further than Qld for some talent. In particular, Jonno Lance is one I would consider to be a good buy. Not as X factor as O'Connor but has great hands, a good kick, defends very well, and can cover 10,12 and 13. Qld will be doing very well to hang on to him.

T

tranquility

You would assume that if JOC (James O'Connor) leaves, Matty Brandon would be also be a definite to be retained from his short contract.

Stay in the west james

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/9361471/oconnor-talks-give-force-reason-to-hope/

The Western Force are growing more confident they will retain young Wallaby James O'Connor.

With the decision on his future imminent, O'Connor had a one-on-one meeting with Force coach Richard Graham yesterday.

After lengthy discussions at the club's Perry Lakes offices Graham said there were "good indications" about O'Connor's future.

"Our discussions were about rugby," he said. "We discussed the rugby program because at the end of the day it is the rugby program that will be the thing that holds him here.

"We discussed the squad, who we've got staying, who we are looking at and where we are looking at going.

"James is fully engaged in what we are doing. He is keen for the club to have success, that showed in how bitterly disappointed he was with the result from Sydney on Saturday."

Graham has said previously that he believes a group of friends and the fact O'Connor had established himself as one of the best young players in the world while at the Force would convince him to stay.

O'Connor, now 20, joined the Force as a 17-year-old and is coming off a two-year $1.2 million deal that would have been further topped up by product endorsements.

He has repeatedly said his decision would be based on rugby, what is best for his game and not money.

He agreed with the Force earlier in the season to focus on his long-term future only during this bye week for the club to avoid obvious distractions.

"James has handled himself well through the process. It has not been a distraction," Graham said.

The Force, with only three wins and a draw from 11 games this season are desperate to keep O'Connor but have competition from Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels and ACT Brumbies.

There are some big money offers, particularly from the privately-owned Rebels.

Force chief executive Vern Reid met O'Connor's manager David Shand in Sydney on Saturday before the Waratahs match.

O'Connor's father, who has a strong influence on his son, was in Perth the previous weekend when the Force played the Crusaders.

Reid said the club was well aware of O'Connor's value, not just on the field, where despite the Force struggling for form he is Super Rugby's leading scorer with 156 points, but as an asset to promote the club.

O'Connor has to inform the Australian Rugby Union when he has made a decision so his new Wallaby contract, that has also been the subject of protracted negotiations, can be finalised. The ARU had not been contacted last night.

Don't know if it is wishfull thinking, but it will just be nice to have a decision.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was surprised to read that in The West this morning. I thought he was definitely leaving, but maybe not. It will be a massive boost if he stays.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I couldn't believe the Force last weekend at the SFS. They were playing to a Rebels type plan of playing in the other half of the field and JOC (James O'Connor) hardly ever got the ball. I kept looking at him and he was like a shag on a rock.

You couldn't blame him, nor any young exciting back, if he went to the Reds, where he will enjoy his rugby more, both from a style point of view and likely a results point of view.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I was surprised to read that in The West this morning. I thought he was definitely leaving, but maybe not. It will be a massive boost if he stays.

Im not a huge fan of contract negotiations going on during the season, but I can also understand it.
As a Force fan, I want him to stay, but if he is going, Id like to hear about it soon just to allow the Force plenty of time to find a replacement.

Cyril Towers (30)
Not so sure about ma'afu but tetera is definitely a
smart buy. I thought he was going to brumbyland to be with his mate Palmer. They must have dangled an attractive carrot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Glad to see that somebody has noticed Tetera. He is a very good LHP and scrummaged well for the Junior Waratahs this year. The Tahs may be miffed, but that is the way it is.

I hope that I see no mincing claims that the Tahs developed him. To keep good players you have to contract them or let them walk away. Even though Kepu will likely be the starting THP for a while the Tahs still have Tilse as a contracted prop who can play both sides of the scrum. Therefore Faulkner would have seen Cat, Tilse and perhaps Kepu, sometimes, in front of him.

It will be interesting to see him develop when he gets on the park in Super Rugby.

It's good to see that the system works sometimes.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I think ma'afu is a good addition. Being from Perth I don't know the other guy but it's good too here that everyone thinks he is a good addition.

Go the force!!!!

Cyril Towers (30)
and now its rumoured that Matt Dunning is heading to the Brumbies???
That would be a big risk. The big fella doesn't get on the paddock much these days. One thing about him, though, is that he knows a thing or two about scrums and loves schooling the young fellas. You often see him after a game in animated and usually friendly discussion with the other props, dissecting all that happened at scrum time. A good up and comer like Jono Owen might learn a bit from someone like Tucky.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The funny thing is that when Dunning has got on the field at THP this year he has looked very effective

The Mayor of Perth

Ted Fahey (11)
I couldn't believe the Force last weekend at the SFS. They were playing to a Rebels type plan of playing in the other half of the field and JOC (James O'Connor) hardly ever got the ball. I kept looking at him and he was like a shag on a rock.

You couldn't blame him, nor any young exciting back, if he went to the Reds, where he will enjoy his rugby more, both from a style point of view and likely a results point of view.

I was confident he was going to stay until the Tahs match, that game plan may just have turned him.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Western Force v Brumbies

Saturday, 21 May 2011 at nib Stadium

Kick-off: 8.05pm (AWST) 10.05 (AEST)

1. Pek Cowan
2. Nathan Charles
3. Matt Dunning
4. Sam Wykes
5. Nathan Sharpe (Captain)
6. Matt Hodgson
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Brett Sheehan
10. Willie Ripia
11. David Smith
12. James O'Connor
13. Rory Sidey
14. Nick Cummins
15. Patrick Dellit

Reserves

16. Ben Whittaker
17. Kieran Longbottom
18. Tom Hockings
19. Jono Jenkins
20. James Stannard
21. Gene Fairbanks
22. Alfie Mafi

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
That is a very decent team. Sure it may be a step down from some of the top 6 teams, but there is some definite talent throughout that side, with a few star players too.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fox Sports News channel had an update in their ticker claiming that David Smith has "fallen in love with Perth" and is keen to stay another year. Good news for the Force if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.