• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
This puts things in abit of perspective from a players point of view

That whole input from Hodgson confirms a prior analysis but with 100X the validity of any of us here:

The Force is strategically failing. It's been doing that for some time.

It's no fault of the fans, no fault of any player, no fault of WA Inc.

It's in the vortex of an unimaginative and negligent ARU and a poorly constructed Force board all propelling forward a notion that poor coaches and many 'stars' is the required mix, when just the opposite is the only proven Australian S15 model that works.

The ARU is led by highly paid executives that have since 2003 achieved little or no true competitive growth for the code in this country. They initiated and promoted the great idea of a Force in WA. They thus bear long-term moral and code-health responsibility. Now they permit Rugby WA no academy of its own, cut Rugby WA's funding, yet stand by adding no value to Rugby WA, but seeking no change either. High intrusion, yet no responsible action. Rugby WA protects a broken model and the two argue at best, at worst contribute equally to mutually assured destruction over time.

Meanwhile, in the very words of one of the Force's most successful and truly loyal players: "There is support for rugby in Perth to make it viable but membership numbers drop each year, as do the crowd numbers. How long will the loyalty of the Sea of Blue be sustained without success?"

Good question. Where are the leaders? Where is the accountability? Where are the intelligent answers?

WA Inc has spawned some outstanding and successful sporting teams, typically from scratch. Why is rugby the exception?

T

TOCC

It's easy to paint a story when we select the facts which best support our argument

M

Moono75

It basically comes down to whether the ARU is serious about growing rugby Australia wide. Some recruiting concessions would be nice but I can't see any change unless the Force falls into a black hole. Surely it would be of benefit to the ARU to have a successful, strong and entertaining brand of Rugby being played out West, it could only serve to attract more juniors into the game and raise the profile and long term sustainability of the code here. Some foreign player recruiting concessions to supplement the squad would be great but this would be hand in hand with nurturing the local talent.

If funding to WA Rugby continues to be cut and the ARU doesn't recognise the challenges faced with operating in a non traditional rugby market then expect to see a further transition of some fans across to the proposed Perth based NRL franchise when that starts up.

I think with cleaver management and talent identification the Force can turn it around themselves but don't put up roadblocks and make it harder than it needs to be.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's easy to paint a story when we select the facts which best support our argument

The facts I was drawing upon are principally not mine at all or 'selected' by me. Rather they are those alluded to by the rare event of a loyal player pleading publicly for change in his employer's approach and by the way Rugby WA is or is not supported by the ARU. Read his article above, and I greatly admire his courage btw in saying what he did.

You obviously consider Hodgson's genuine and detailed, serious concern re the Force's situation an over-reaction and/or that the Force is in good shape and not much change is needed there. Perhaps too you are happy with the ARU's overall approach to the Force. Fair enough, I respect that, just that we have very different definitions of the meaning of franchise (and perhaps rugby code) success, or otherwise.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well mafu and cowan are already signed up so we shall see if it's true tomorrow

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Surely with Hodgson recommitting to the Force they're not in need of another fetcher...

So the only fair thing would be for Pocock to come to the Brumbies, both for Hodgson and Australian rugby...

:)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I agree with what RedsHappy posted above. I posted something similar at the beginning of the year, seriously querying the viability of the Western Force, so long as they were subject to the whims of a largely disinterested ARU and the WARU showing a complete lack of direction. I've seen nothing in the passing 12 months to suggest anyone in a position of power have recognised the precarious position the Western Force are starting to find themselves in.

W

Waylon

You make your own luck in life

Sitting around on their sorry @sses blaming the ARU for all their woes and blaming cut backs for their inaction is the talk of losers

RugbyWA need to raise their own funds. They need to get active about raising money and attracting sponsors. $100 bills blow down the street in Perth like leaves. The state is loaded

They need to get active about developing the game

They need to get active about building a strong academy

The ARU helps those who help themselves

Whinging and holding the handout doesn't build a winning rugby culture or franchise

They need to get locals involved from the ground up. Dribblers like Richard Graham don't care if the franchise fails. In fact, it seems most people on the east coast are looking forward to the end of the franchise.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going

Believe and achieve

take action.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
It's no fault of the fans, no fault of any player, no fault of WA Inc.

It's in the vortex of an unimaginative and negligent ARU and a poorly constructed Force board all propelling forward a notion that poor coaches and many 'stars' is the required mix, when just the opposite is the only proven Australian S15 model that works....

Good question. Where are the leaders? Where is the accountability? Where are the intelligent answers?

WA Inc has spawned some outstanding and successful sporting teams, typically from scratch. Why is rugby the exception?

Question - does anyone know if Vern Reid and "the boys" on the Board are WA residents or East Coasters parachuted in to do the job?

This isn't to say that they couldn't do the job if they're not from the West, but the playing environment and market is radically different from Sydney or Brisbane.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
According to perthnow it's Sheehan brown and hodgeson

Well, that's pretty good news. That covers the 9 spot, and Sheehan has been playing pretty well this season. He seems to have stepped up the speed of his delivery in the latter part of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.