• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Auckland was Auckland in those days - they were the bench mark in profincial rugby. I've tried googling the information to assist / support what i thought. Auckland back then were a sensational side, the bench mark - the point albeit in a Force thread - was he had one coached NSW, and 2 - his coaching history is awesome. Even the AB's would have to concede there record dropped when we had McQueen as coach.

I'm not disputing for a moment that McQueen was an excellent coach, nor that the Auckland team of that era was fantastic. I would caution that comparing a provincial team from NZ at that era to the NSW is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. There were 10 first division NPC teams in NZ the early 1990's compared with really only 2 provincial teams in Australia (NSW & Queensland), so its hardly surprising that NSW would win occasionally. I can remember watching the annual NSW v Queensland clashes from that period. which were on TV over here.

(and you might upset a few Northlanders and North Harbour people if you equate Auckland with the Blues)

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
http://www.rugbywa.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/905/ArticleID/7287/Default.aspx

“While my expectations are realistic, I’m very excited about this challenge.
“Looking from afar it’s clear to see the Force has an outstanding supporter base and we’ll be doing what we can to not only engage with the supporters, but ensure they remain proud of their team – and part of this is working towards success with our fans.
“It’s my role to set up a program that builds towards success. The coaching staff will be looking to promote an exciting brand of rugby that captures the imagination of our fans and wins games as well. To that end, we will be looking to recruit an attacking coach with a record of producing that style of game.
“I want our fans to be excited about the style of footy we’re playing and keen to be a part of the club. We need to be playing this brand of rugby to assist the club with our recruitment, retention and development, and we’ll be working hard to ensure that the Force is a club that people are proud of and where players want to play.”

Name: Michael Foley
Born: 07/06/1967
Role: Head Coach
Previous Coaching Roles:
2012 Head Coach – NSW Waratahs, 2009-2011 Assistant Coach – NSW Waratahs, 2006-2008 Assistant Coach – Wallabies, 2001-2006 Forwards Coach – Bath

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Geeze he sounds perky .... The rhetoric and cliches are bordering on pathetic. I don't understand how some of these blokes can front up and mumble some of this bullshit. The bloke has just been booted out the door and he comes across like a bright optimistic puppy wagging it's tail at the next door

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Assistant coaches are also crucial. From the looks of things on the website the force are going to retain Stiles (forwards) and Blake (defence). They will probably still need an attack coach to complement foley who will oversee the whole operation.

I wonder if they will try and lure a top club coach like Lane, Mooney, Mannieti or Louden?

Or are they still chasing Meehan?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Geeze he sounds perky .. The rhetoric and cliches are bordering on pathetic. I don't understand how some of these blokes can front up and mumble some of this bullshit. The bloke has just been booted out the door and he comes across like a bright optimistic puppy wagging it's tail at the next door

But he wasn't booted.......

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Geeze he sounds perky .. The rhetoric and cliches are bordering on pathetic. I don't understand how some of these blokes can front up and mumble some of this bullshit. The bloke has just been booted out the door and he comes across like a bright optimistic puppy wagging it's tail at the next door
Not only that, rif, but from what is coming through on Twitter it looks like the Force players have been placed in a room and made to Tweet: "I think our new teacher will be the bestest teacher in the whole world."

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm a little confused.

Does ...

"It’s my role to set up a program that builds towards success. The coaching staff will be looking to promote an exciting brand of rugby that captures the imagination of our fans and wins games as well. To that end, we will be looking to recruit an attacking coach with a record of producing that style of game"

mean that Foley is Rugby Director and they are going to appoint an attacking head coach or just an attack coach with Foley as head coach?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm a little confused.

Does .

"It’s my role to set up a program that builds towards success. The coaching staff will be looking to promote an exciting brand of rugby that captures the imagination of our fans and wins games as well. To that end, we will be looking to recruit an attacking coach with a record of producing that style of game"

mean that Foley is Rugby Director and they are going to appoint an attacking head coach or just an attack coach with Foley as head coach?

RE if he is the head coach or not I emailed Vern Reid and got a reply pretty quickly so kudos to him but this is what it said.

The coaching structure will be determined over the course of the next few weeks. Whatever the titles Michael will be entirely responsible for the rugby programme

Regards
Vern Reid

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would be perky too, if I had just asked for a demotion cos I did such a shit job,and then some numtie rings me up and offers me a 4 year contract.Obviously they are not going to be anal about things like results or development. happy happy days.
In Packer speak, the Force is his Alan Bond. You only get one of these deals in your lifetime.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Not only that, rif, but from what is coming through on Twitter it looks like the Force players have been placed in a room and made to Tweet: "I think our new teacher will be the bestest teacher in the whole world."

Just checked a few twitter accounts. How pathetic.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just checked a few twitter accounts. How pathetic.
you do understand how twitter works yeah?

They are just retweeting what someone else has said (hodgsons original tweet) their not all in a room copying of a white board word for word what the force have told them to write/say. Give the boys a chance.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I would caution that comparing a provincial team from NZ at that era to the NSW is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. There were 10 first division NPC teams in NZ the early 1990's compared with really only 2 provincial teams in Australia (NSW & Queensland), so its hardly surprising that NSW would win occasionally.

Nonsense. Auckland was the best provincial team in the world in the early 90s and certainly the benchmark.

Northland and North Harbour were mere also-rans by comparison.

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm a little confused.

Does .

I read a piece in the media (I hesitate to call it "news" as it's all rumormongering) yesterday that said he will be the Director of Rugby and that they would be hiring a head coach. Of course, every media report has been speculation and hearsay, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. I did also see that Phil Blake was being replaced, and that Sharpie would be a "lineout consultant". Bottom line, it's all still up in the air, it seems!

edit: here's the link: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...te-of-the-cherry/story-e6frg7o6-1226439814266

Status
Not open for further replies.