• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Either way, I would be gutted except..... the last time the Brumbies had a dynasty, Aus were on top of world rugby. Pocock joining all those young stars could kick another one off.

Long bow, but i'm looking for an upside :/

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
As I said in the Brumbies 2013 tread, IMHO this is all bulldust.
It sells the papers and get people to read online.
What is the source of this information? Nothing is sourced.
I doubt Pocock would say anything before season end anyway.
I doubt very much that Pocock leaving would be the end of the Force anyway, maybe it woube be quite the opposite, generating a few casualties in the boardroom and freeing the franchise of the deadbeats who are holding the team back.
And probably after this latest salvo of speculation, the Force will offer Pocock $1 million a year (I'd wear a skirt for that much money)

M

Moono75

Seems strange that he would be contemplating a move particularly when he has been involved in the recruitment process for the coach and new players. He spoke with Ebersohn about coming to the Force, you'd be pissed off if the guy that sold you on coming to the Force then turned around and left. It would be a huge blow to the Force if he did leave especially with Sharpe finishing up as well.

I hope it's just another unfounded rumour.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It obviously means it isn't confirmed... yet...

All we can deduce from this is thus far...

- The Brumbies have one spot left in their squad and are still $500,000 under the cap

- The Brumbies have obviously been in talks with Pocock

- Josh Rakic seems to believe that it's a done deal to be announced in the coming weeks

- Nothing official so far from either camp

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Could anyone do up a list of current WA products playing pro rugby? (including in the U20's and shute shield)

I only current ones that I know of in super rugby are Holmes, AWH and Longbottom. Is there anyone else.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Could anyone do up a list of current WA products playing pro rugby? (including in the U20's and shute shield)

I only current ones that I know of in super rugby are Holmes, AWH and Longbottom. Is there anyone else.

Hoskins is a U20s Aus prop (who I believe actually has another year of U20s too) and Godwin, a 10/15, has gotten some super rugby caps and is currently with the U20 Aus team.

Whether they're considered starting quality players at U20 level remains to be seen. I don't think Hoskins played the first game against Scotland, but Godwin started. That being said, Scotland wouldn't be high priority compared to Argentina and France.

Also there's an openside flanker who plays for Manawatu in the NPC and Highlanders in Super rugby.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A couple for you

1 Zack Holmes - Starting 10 for the Brumbies and doing very well I must add
2 Ryan Hodson - Flanker Rebels short term contract and playing for Manly
3 Olly Hoskins - Prop U20 wallabies and playing for Manly
4 Cruze ah-nau Prop 21 under 20 Aus rep now playing for norths in the Shute shield
5 Brent Murphy a lock/6 playing in the local comp Perth Bayswater played Shute shield rugby first grade toured with the force
6 Wanga Qalo U18 winger from Wanneroo Signed with Penrith U20 Toyota Cup from 2013 (You must see this boy play!!!)
7 curtis rona - roosters toyota cup
8 Kevin Proctor - Melbourne Storm RL,-Bayswater Rugby Club
9 Will Brock - playing in the UK
10 Justin turner western force
11 Adam Wallace-Harrison Born in WA Played for Brumbies now Reds
12 Darran Murphy Perth Bayswater - now in Japan ntt club
13 Ryan Tyrell Played for the Force 2011 got injured- on the way to the Rebels in 2013
14 Dan Montagu. played school boy rep rugby - now with Bristol in the UK
15 Chance Peni 2011 Schoolboys, Perth Gold playing Toyota Cup 4 Newcastle Knights
15 Dane Haylett-Petty Played for the Force now playing with Biarritz in the Top 14
16 longbottom wester force
17 Godwin force Aus under 20s
18 jake ball short term force contract

19 John welborn of course former wallabie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sheehan was born in wa but didn't play rugby here and yes Godwin is a local was born in zim but moved here when very young and has come through associates club and force academy

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
13 Ryan Tyrell Played for the Force 2011 got injured- on the way to the Rebels in 2013

WHAT???!!?!?! Can you cite a source? I mean, he's been better since he moved to Cardiff but I wouldn't say he's been great.

I know of local players that we could easily build into Ryan Tyrell quality players through the EPS program and I would be pretty unhappy if took him instead of picking locally. It's one thing if we got Charles, Fitzpatrick, or Whittaker but this is silly.

Back yourself and your development systems Rebels.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just something I was told might not be true but. He is with Cardiff ATM I might be wrong but that's the word at club land here in Perth.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I know what you are getting at with you question bowside and yes the development of players in Perth is happening but it won't happen over night and any thought that it will it silly.

If I was a 12 year old in 2006 when the force came in and development started for real. I would now be 18 and pushing for selection in the coming years. I think the showing at under 20 level 3 in the last 2 years and school boy level about the same numbers shows that it is on the up. But yes it takes time.

One thing I think we need is someone willing to take a gamble in these young guys but the current structure doesn't really allow that to happen.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Just something I was told might not be true but. He is with Cardiff ATM I might be wrong but that's the word at club land here in Perth.

Every man and his dog gets connected with the Rebels.

I would be disappointed because Tyrell is a player that came through WA as a local at an older age because the Force committed resources to him. Signing him would be flabbergasting because it would reflect a lack of willingness for the Rebels to simply take a Victorian in a similar situation and do the same.

It would reflect a acknowledgement that a Tyrell style development works but at the same time show they aren't willing to do it themselves.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah it was a real shame he was badly injured but good to see him back out there. I remember seeing him play his return game for rockinham as my club was playing them that day. I was just thinking to myself thank god I'm not playing against him lol big tough bloke not to be messed with.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah it was a real shame he was badly injured but good to see him back out there. I remember seeing him play his return game for rockinham as my club was playing them that day. I was just thinking to myself thank god I'm not playing against him lol big tough bloke not to be messed with.

Absolutely. My negitivity towards this potential recruitment is more about the message it sends, certainly nothing against the man and his inspiring comeback.

I will say that I think he's much more suited to European rugby and I think he'd be better off hunting for $$$ in France.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I know what you are getting at with you question bowside and yes the development of players in Perth is happening but it won't happen over night and any thought that it will it silly.

If I was a 12 year old in 2006 when the force came in and development started for real. I would now be 18 and pushing for selection in the coming years. I think the showing at under 20 level 3 in the last 2 years and school boy level about the same numbers shows that it is on the up. But yes it takes time.

One thing I think we need is someone willing to take a gamble in these young guys but the current structure doesn't really allow that to happen.

I was actually trying to highlight the fact that the force aren't doing that bad a job at producing players. And while they may not be producing world class talent yet, there are some good up and coming players in that list you compiled, and I think if they stuck with these players it world be a more worthwhile exercise than signing journeymen from the east coast.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was actually trying to highlight the fact that the force aren't doing that bad a job at producing players. And while they may not be producing world class talent yet, there are some good up and coming players in that list you compiled, and I think if they stuck with these players it world be a more worthwhile exercise than signing journeymen from the east coast.

I think they should pick 3 or 4 more and really focus on them. If they picked all (or many) of them they'd get destroyed and it would only serve to provide ammunition for those who doubt the talents of WA locals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom