• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
Fuck, i really reckon Meyer would have been great getting a coaching gig without the political bullshit that comes with South Africa

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Know this laaitie very well and see he joined the Force. Good luck to him, honest hard worker and a little gem of a person, Noddy.

https://www.westernforce.com.au/article/naude-wessels-chasing-dream-future-force
Naude Wessels Chasing Dream with Future Force

By Fraser Smith on Tue 6th September 16
Noddy%20Feature.jpg

By Luke Worthington
It may have seemed like it was going to be another day at school for 16-year-old Naude Wessels as he woke up on an April morning in Cape Town, South Africa.
His school, Paarl Gimnasium is perhaps one of the most successful rugby schools in the world having produced Springboks in Jean De Villiers, Handre Pollard and Marius Jobert.
But that day in April of 2015 would be far from normal, not knowing that a trip to the Western Force’s Captain’s Run would change his life and rugby career forever.
“One day I had the opportunity to skip school and go watch the Force during their Captain’s Run while they were in Cape Town,” he said.
“I went down and I was like a little boy scared of everything, sitting there in the stands watching the boys, and I was asked if I wanted to join in training.
“I couldn’t say no to the opportunity, the boys took me in as a young guy and I learned so much in just one day from everyone.”
“They were just so welcoming from the beginning, and from there I just kept in contact with them, had a meeting with Mark [RugbyWA CEO Mark Sinderberry] on the Sunday, and then last year got an agreement to come over for the Future Force Foundation, so I took it with two hands.”
IMG_8353.JPG

Naude said the transition between his school system and the Future Force was made easier due to the two programs' coinciding values.
“The stuff they teach you at Paal, it’s not just rugby, they help you with everything outside rugby too,” he explained.
“Around the complex here, on the walls, it says you have to earn respect. I’m the youngest guy here and the respect I brought over from Paal has helped me so much.
“I just know these are bigger guys who have achieved much more than me have to respect them, take a step back, and watch and learn.
“To earn respect, you do it while playing the game as a young guy. I played Premier Grade this year with Associates and you have to do stuff you don’t usually do, and show the guys you can step up and prove yourself.
“The school just helped me so much coming over here from South Africa.”
The 18-year-old nicknamed ‘Noddy’ spoke fondly of the experienced group of players surrounding him, and praised the staff who helped take his game to the next level.
“Last year and throughout my entire rugby career I was a fullback, then I came here and had to make the shift from fullback to flyhalf,” he continued.
“To be honest, I can’t believe I ever played fullback because I enjoy flyhalf so much.
“Especially with guys like Jono [Lance] and Bash [Peter Grant], you learn a lot.
“I actually have a photo at home, it’s me as a little boy standing there with Peter Grant, and now I have the opportunity to train under him and it’s just awesome. Now that I’ve said it out loud I just can’t believe it,” he said laughing.
“I learn from the big boys. They do something, you watch and learn and try put it in your own game,” he proceeded.
“With a guy like Jono, we usually kick together outside and if I have a question I’m not afraid to ask him to help me out, he will always give me a helping hand.”
Noddy%20and%20Bash.jpg

After joining the Future Force, Naude saw his range of opportunities in rugby increase drastically, subsequently resulting in him travelling to Mauritius to play with the Force’s World Club 10’s winning side.
“There were big guys, guys you usually watch on the TV and all of a sudden I have to play against them,” he remarked.
“It was great to get to know the guys better and get to know a few of the club guys that came in.
“Every guy in the squad has caught the eye of the coaches and you see them, they’re guys you’ve played against in the Premier Grade and you think ‘these guys are really good’ and now you’re playing with them.
“I was really unlucky with injuries; I did my wrist ligament in the second game after two minutes on the field against the Brumbies.
“When we played the final, I remember Kane Koteka, the captain, said ‘boys come on, ‘Noddy’ worked hard for this, he got an unlucky injury so let’s go out and do it for him’ and that really meant a lot.
“I’m 18-years-old and for the captain of a world championship winning team to say that just meant so much. In the end, just to walk out with the team and lift the trophy felt amazing.”
CKFinal%20Brumbies%20v%20Western%20Force798.jpg

Continuing to talk about his life in Perth, Naude said he couldn’t go past mentioning his ‘Future Force Family’ who made the transition between countries almost seamless.
“They make me feel at home, making biltong in the house and stuff like that,” he said laughing.
“It’s awesome, you feel at home. I really feel like I hit the jackpot with them and I can almost call them my own family.
“My Force Dad Andrew is so energetic, he doesn’t want us sitting still and wants us to get out and be active.
“Caroline too, her cooking is just amazing, it’s up there with the best so that’s helping me put on muscle. It’s just top notch.”
Looking ahead Naude says he is focused on being the best he can be.
“My life goal is to just be the best rugby player I can and wherever that takes me, it takes me,” he said.
“I feel in the program I’m in at the moment with the Force I’m getting so many opportunities, it’s going to help me a lot and it already has both on the field and off the field with my leadership.
“To play Super Rugby for the Force would be awesome, but it’s not just going to happen overnight.
“It’s hard work and I’m happy to do that so I can make it one day.
“I love rugby and I’m enjoying my rugby, the Force is giving me every opportunity to do that and I couldn't be happier.”

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)
So the tin foil hat brigade will say it's because he is on a small salary and will ride out the end of the forces position in super rugby. I hope it's not true.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

How is the recruitment for next season going? Does Wessells appointment mean that the Force is going to evolve into an unofficial South African team?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
almost are anyway..

both assistants were south african along with grant, brache, stander, vanwyk, louwrens & heiburg.

M

Moono75

There are supposed to be two experienced assistant coaches coming in to help Wessels out. A dedicated forwards coach and a line-out consultant. Not sure if this means the incumbent assistants will remain in addition to the new guys. Due to the financial pressures on the Force they have agreed to be paid in crayfish, prawns and scallops......as much as they can eat.

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
Not sure where else to post this but the Force posted the link to the U17 grand final from the weekend. Wests v Palmyra.

N

NTT

Hi all.
Im from Perth and have been around the Perth club scene for over 30 years. Im a diehard Force supporter having held membership since the start in 06. I will try my best to spread the gospel of WA rugby, everything from the club scene to the Force.
With so much speculation about the future of the Force, and Australian rugby in general, i thought i would add my voice to the cause and promote everything that is good about WA rugby and the Force.
I look forward to talking rugby with everyone.

NTT.

N

NTT

I liking the draw for the Force in 2017. We have none of the 6 day turnarounds we had last year and do our traveling in blocks instead of the scattered travel schedule we had last year. All games in this comp are tough no matter which team you are.
Rebels have probably the hardest start of any of the Aussie sides.
Matt Hodgson will be re-signed. They are trying to sort out the details of Hodgson transitioning into a Coaching role post playing. I think they are looking at a position within the Future Force.
For once RugbyWA are being very tight lipped about Wessels assistants. Personally i hope they snag Darren Coleman from NSW Country. There was a rumour Matt Cockbain might be one of the assistants but im not sure how accurate that is.
Not many player rumours going round either in terms of signings. We will probably hear more after the Assistant coaches are named. Im hopeful they are looking at Brendan Paenga-Amosa at hooker, Izack Rodda at lock, Richard Woolf and Eric Vasukicakau as wingers. We are still a bit light on for genuine centres too, Latunipulu may be an option or Matuauto.
My biggest hope for 2017 though is all the speculation about axing the Force dies down. Rugby in Perth has never been stronger at club level with players now featuring in Super Rugby squads around Australia and Europe, even the NRL.
The NRC, Super U/20s and Future Force are all great pathways for young players to get to Super Rugby. The issue around player depth will resolve itself as these pathways are allowed to establish themselves. I just think its bad timing for Australia as we are heavily compared to NZ who are clearly a couple of steps ahead of us currently and are enjoying perhaps the most golden of all golden generations in Rugby history.

N

NTT

WA premier grade grand final and U/20s grand final. Sorry couldnt find a WA premier grade thread.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Welcome mate. Look forward to hearing more of you.

One comment on Isaac Rhoda. Here's ours! Has a couple more years on a Reds contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

NTT

Bugger, would be a good set of locks in Coleman, Matwijow, Philip, Rodda and Ross Haylett-Petty.

N

NTT

We had Riley Winter in the Aussie 20s but apparently he's off to Ireland.

Winter is the blond lock from Wests Scarborough in the above Premier Grade GF video.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Welcome NTT!

Mate I think the calls on coaching staff are just bloody frustrating. Wessels will need the right assistants. They need to get cracking on this.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Any point in getting Phil Blake to return to Perth? He seems to've done a reasonable job wherever he's been.

Status
Not open for further replies.