• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I completely disagree with that. TPN went to the Force by default after failing his medical with Bristol and the tahs had already signed three hookers. Coleman and Lance both went to the Force for an opportunity. Coleman had played only one game (ironically against the Force) and Lance played 10-12 games over a two seasons. I do take on the point from BLR that the number of players of a small base is really good however I am not sure that there will be enough over the next 5-10 years to support a team. The Force have not recruited a genuine top line player since the firepower days. Don't get me wrong lots of the signings have been good and the players have played hard.
See that is where I completely disagree. Pocock aside, when did the Brumbies last recruit a topline player? And yet they are our most consistent team. WA's only chance is to take good diamonds in the rough and develop them into top line players. Recruiting top line stars hasn't helped the Reds this year, has it? How many failed top line NRL code switches has NSW wasted money on?

WA have a reasonable core of Super quality players that can be supplemented by a few well-considered diamonds in the rough and be successful with it.

L

Leo86

What's with the rumours Rona is heading back to the NRL?

Only rumours.

He came to the Force so he could be back at home for family reasons.

I can only think these rumours come from if there was no Force. If he cant play in Perth he may as well return to league

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A letter from Hodgo to the Sea of Blue

Dear Sea of Blue,

As I pull on my boots for the final time playing for our Road Safety Western Force, it is impossible not to get emotional reflecting on the journey we have taken together.

I was 24 years young when I packed up my few possessions to embrace the opportunity to be an inaugural member of the Western Force. In many ways, it was poetic that I was the last man offered a contract at the club by coach John Mitchell. I was being told by people in the know that I didn't have what it took to be a Super Rugby player. I was either going to accept that as truth and turn my back on the game I loved; or move to the other side of the country and work hard to prove them all wrong. From my first cap to my 140th, I have never taken the jersey for granted and bled blue for our team.

I'm from a small coastal town in the central coast of NSW, Avoca Beach. Being part of a close community is always where I felt most comfortable. Mateship and reputation is everything and you invest in both every day.

When I moved to Perth I was immediately embraced by my new Force Family. We were forging a new club culture together. Starting new traditions. Carving out our slice of the Perth sporting consciousness. Some of us were big names that I was excited to learn from. Many, like me, were the left overs from the other franchises, trying to prove to the world that we deserved to be Super Rugby players.

What struck me from day one is that not only were the team inner sanctum in this together; but the Sea of Blue were in it with us. They were here loving and fighting for rugby before the team was even awarded. They fought hard for us to exist. They loved us before they even knew our names. That is the unconditional love that the loyal Sea of Blue give to us every single day. It may be intangible but it is undeniable and something that the players and I don't take for granted.

From the first time you pull on your Force kit during your first pre-season you are loved. They don't care who you are, where you have been, who you have played for in the past, whether you have 100 caps or zero caps to your name, the moment you are with the Force, they are with you. You just got adopted into one of the most passionate and loyal rugby families in the world.

The Sea of Blue are there for you through every tackle, maul, pilfer, scrum, try, loss and win. Unique in the sporting landscape they are not fair-weather fans. For loving the Force is a hard slog with often few highs. But when the players are doing it tough on the pitch the fans are strong in the stands making sure that you get up to fight on. They respect the battle and as long as you are fighting for them they will not turn their back. Hearing the Sea of Blue rumble from the stands is the 16th player on the Force Field at every game. On the road you are sure to see the touring Sea of Blue in full colour and voice. Letting you know that you are never alone even in opposition territory. Opposition teams testify to the power that the Sea of Blue hold. As players, we feel it lift us when the body is threatening to falter. Every pilfer, penalty, try and win is sweeter because we are in it togethe

I came to Perth for an amazing opportunity with the Western Force, yet it is the Sea of Blue and my extended Force Family who have created an incredible community that have made it my home. Thank you for adopting me and making it an easy decision to stay a one club man for 12 seasons.

I hope that I have honoured the opportunity I was given in the way I have played for you. Thanks to you I got to live my rugby dream and it has been the greatest privilege to represent you and the great state of Western Australia. I was given the opportunity to captain our Western Force and the Wallabies, which was far more than this man ever thought was possible. Thank you for being there for me and the Road Safety Western Force for every step. May we be in this together for decades to come. "

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
This AFL article is trumpeting the growth of locally born NSW players playing for the Swans and GWS, there is probably other NSW players in other AFL teams but I would have thought there was more to be frank.

Puts into perspective the how good the growth and development of local talent that the Force have achieved with its set up. Pretty good in my opinion.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ho...y/news-story/bb3e6eb0bfcf95c366d4cd4708964b5f

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
This AFL article is trumpeting the growth of locally born NSW players playing for the Swans and GWS, there is probably other NSW players in other AFL teams but I would have thought there was more to be frank.

Puts into perspective the how good the growth and development of local talent that the Force have achieved with its set up. Pretty good in my opinion.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ho...y/news-story/bb3e6eb0bfcf95c366d4cd4708964b5f
And when you consider the millions being pumped in by the AFL compared to the 200k given each year to RugbyWA we are definitely punching above our weight and are on the up

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I just want to add my congrats to the Western Force, and beyond that the wider WA rugby community on how they are growing & promoting the game.

And also their coaching panel - it is funny how when some actual thought and consideration is given to putting together a coaching team how they can make a genuine difference. Not to over guild the lily - ultimately they did also only get 6 wins, but the coaching staff have made a clear difference to their style and there is a definite promise in the squad that is sadly lacking elsewhere.

I don't know if it is right or wrong for us to go to 4 teams, but it will be an absolute travesty if the Force get cut.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
I just want to add my congrats to the Western Force, and beyond that the wider WA rugby community on how they are growing & promoting the game.

And also their coaching panel - it is funny how when some actual thought and consideration is given to putting together a coaching team how they can make a genuine difference. Not to over guild the lily - ultimately they did also only get 6 wins, but the coaching staff have made a clear difference to their style and there is a definite promise in the squad that is sadly lacking elsewhere.

I don't know if it is right or wrong for us to go to 4 teams, but it will be an absolute travesty if the Force get cut.

I think Wessels has done a fantastic job. But possibly his biggest achievement so far was the support he brought in for the team. He seemed to be honest with himself and the organisation and then actively recruited his assistants to ensure that his weaknesses are their strengths; He's obviously using their skills and experience to personally get better at his job, and the results that we've seen from the force this year are reflective of the coaching team's approach.

Hasn't always been polished. But it's getting there. If we survive call me big kev, because i'll be freaken excited to see what else is coming.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)

How's Bill Meaks.

The end of the game and it's not even a big moment because we are trashing the tahs but he still runs all the way in to congratulate young Rangi on his hit. Strait passed the scuffle as well

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Whatever happens, let it be known what I will support the Force for being a massive fuck you to the establishment this season, both on and off the field.
Hope that legal barriers force mass resignations on the ARU, QRU and NSWRU boards and people who are competent and care for the thriving of the game replace them. Hopefully you blokes continue to roll opponents (except for when you play the reds, as long as you lose to them I'm happy).

Also thanks for whooping the Tahs - Reds actually jump them in the conference for 3rd ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.