• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I like Lance. I know he isn't a popular choice, but he's experienced and will play better with a full pre-season with the squad. Reckon the Force should push hard for Pasitoa
for 2022 though.

I'm sure the Reds would love Pasitoa to go home. Hot property perhaps

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No one has committed to anything. The Force would be crazy not to keep all options available. We cannot count on RA either due to past behaviour or due to no broadcast deal, no fixed competition structure for 2021.

I could very easily see a situation arising where RA cave to NZRU and select the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies as the three Aussie sides leaving the Rebels and the Force (again) with nothing. I don't want to play without the other Aussie sides but not as much as I don't want to be without a competition to play in.
Ultimately RA only bends to NZ if the Force defect as NZ never post a profit as it is so they are desperate to get Twiggy on board and hope on the financial gravy train. If they can do that it puts them in a strong position to dictate to Australia what can do.

I get the mistrust of rugby Australia as if this goes badly we are the other team that are facing the axe but the NZRU pushed very hard for the reduction of sides we were just t weak to stand up to them

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ultimately RA only bends to NZ if the Force defect as NZ never post a profit as it is so they are desperate to get Twiggy on board and hope on the financial gravy train. If they can do that it puts them in a strong position to dictate to Australia what can do.

I get the mistrust of rugby Australia as if this goes badly we are the other team that are facing the axe but the NZRU pushed very hard for the reduction of sides we were just t weak to stand up to them

Why would Twiggy not expect the same proportion of income as every other team?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Go you piggies!
Front row firepower here to stay

October 13, 2020
The Western Force has further strengthened its forward pack for 2021 with Chris Heiberg and Andrew Ready signing contract extensions with the club.

Read more......

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why would Twiggy not expect the same proportion of income as every other team?
The reason NZ want the Force is financial they will make Forrest pay a high price to be in the comp. They want to drive a wedge and potentially isolate a supporter of Australian rugby

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The reason NZ want the Force is financial they will make Forrest pay a high price to be in the comp. They want to drive a wedge and potentially isolate a supporter of Australian rugby

So why would Twiggy pay a high price for this. Ball is in his court, not NZ. [nor Aus]

Forrest is a lot of things though I‘m comfortable that “commercial nincompoop” is not on the list.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

You forget that Forrest was already backing the 6-team GGR initiative so any move into NZ will be cheaper and fits well with the Asia-Pacific regional focus.
Perhaps it's RA that potentially could become isolated from the region???

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Why the hell would he pay a high price to be in the competition?
He will demand a share of the broadcast revenue, he isn’t going to pay NZRU just to be in their comp.

Reactions: dru

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I'm glad Ready has re-signed. I really like how he finished the season. While it would be great for him to fight with Montoya for a starting gig, I feel his best shot at playing for the Wallabies would be as a 20-30 minute explosive bench hooker. He's a good thrower, reasonable runner, strong over the ball. Could happen.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
So why would Twiggy pay a high price for this. Ball is in his court, not NZ. [nor Aus]

Forrest is a lot of things though I‘m comfortable that “commercial nincompoop” is not on the list.
They will try and sell it as the best outcome for the Force. I believe he has zero intention of joining NZ but is just keeping his options open so his bargaining position with Rugby Australia improves.

Alex Ross (28)
They will try and sell it as the best outcome for the Force. I believe he has zero intention of joining NZ but is just keeping his options open so his bargaining position with Rugby Australia improves.

It’s not a particularly good bluff though. “Give me what I want or I’ll move the Force to NZ”. Not sure Force fans would be happy flying to NZ for “home games”

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think you’re over estimating the kind of money Force players in GRR would be on, even with a 30% reduction in salary I’d be surprised if 100% of Ready’s wage was anymore than 70% of a regular Super Rugby player.

So you know this as a fact? Or is this just more Fake News?

I'll call this out as BS - especially when you look at the calibre of the new recruits.

Matt Hodgson has good knowledge of the player market/worth.
Do you really think that Forrest is going to short-change the players who are showing their loyalty to WA and GRR?

The feedback from internationals such as Greg Holmes and Richard Kahui is that the WF programme and culture is one of the best with which they've been associated/involved.
Perhaps that's why the WF has no problems with recruitment?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
they have no problems with recruitment???

Given the recent few years of history it seems to me that the Force recruitment has been fabulous. As the historical issues wain that recruitment strategy strengthens.

There have been problems pretty much not of their own making. For things under their own control 10/10.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Care to expand on that RR??

He's surely referring to the Force being unable to recruit enough players of similar quality to the other squads. A big part of that for this year was clearly not knowing they were playing in the same competition as the other Aussie sides until the last minute.

There is still uncertainty regarding what is happening next year but it does seem more likely that they will be playing with the Aussie teams again and that should help recruitment. So far the announcements do seem to be a step up from 2020.