• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wonder if Ready or Kaitu’u will be looking at other options now. Both too old to be not playing regularly. Montoya obviously a class above both, so doubt he’d sign without knowledge of been the preferred option. Situations like this make it difficult for our clubs to retain players in this phase of their careers with the limited games our pro teams play.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wonder if Ready or Kaitu’u will be looking at other options now. Both too old to be not playing regularly. Montoya obviously a class above both, so doubt he’d sign without knowledge of been the preferred option. Situations like this make it difficult for our clubs to retain players in this phase of their careers with the limited games our pro teams play.

Kaitau'u re-signed for two years a week ago. I dare say that means Ready is out the door.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)

26yo Feliti Kaitu'u and 27yo Andrew Ready are both very young for Hookers.
Ready has settled into the Perth scene very well and has been fantastic as both a starter and off the bench.
Any competitive team needs at least 3 Hookers.
It will be the 36yo Tessman who is likely to be under pressure

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
They're both older than all four hookers in the Wallabies squad.

For someone like Ready, you certainly don't want to be third string hooker somewhere if you have aspirations for your career trajectory to improve.
No 26-27yr old should be happy playing primarily park footy all year, it does nothing for future contract prospects. It’s one of the reasons why I believe our clubs should have 20+ games a year to keep those mid/end of career guys engaged as there is enough games to go around the squad. Great depth for the Force tho, they will have 3 guys that they know can do a job no matter the opposition.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
No 26-27yr old should be happy playing primarily park footy all year, it does nothing for future contract prospects. It’s one of the reasons why I believe our clubs should have 20+ games a year to keep those mid/end of career guys engaged as there is enough games to go around the squad. Great depth for the Force tho, they will have 3 guys that they know can do a job no matter the opposition.

Don't underestimate the benefit of getting paid 100% of your contract and being part of a good program in a top location where each player can make a difference and connect with developing the game in WA.

It's strange to me that the WF get criticised for only having young or old players but then the mid-career players get picked out for being problematic.

Players such as Ready and Kaitu'u came to the Force as others where showing little interest.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Don't underestimate the benefit of getting paid 100% of your contract and being part of a good program in a top location where each player can make a difference and connect with developing the game in WA.

It's strange to me that the WF get criticised for only having young or old players but then the mid-career players get picked out for being problematic.

Players such as Ready and Kaitu'u came to the Force as others where showing little interest.
No person has criticized at all, infact everyone has said its great for the squad. I’m just looking at it from a player perspective and would have exactly the same opinion at any other club, infact have voiced same beliefs at other times. I just don’t believe all 3 would be happy with the situation professional and could be looking at other options.

I think you’re over estimating the kind of money Force players in GRR would be on, even with a 30% reduction in salary I’d be surprised if 100% of Ready’s wage was anymore than 70% of a regular Super Rugby player.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
No person has criticized at all, infact everyone has said its great for the squad. I’m just looking at it from a player perspective and would have exactly the same opinion at any other club, infact have voiced same beliefs at other times. I just don’t believe all 3 would be happy with the situation professional and could be looking at other options.

I think you’re over estimating the kind of money Force players in GRR would be on, even with a 30% reduction in salary I’d be surprised if 100% of Ready’s wage was anymore than 70% of a regular Super Rugby player.

Good - competition should spur performance.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If there is no young fella third string they could always call up Harry Scoble.
Would love to have the Ginger Nut back. Can never have enough rangas in your squad. I feel like I heard Scoble gave up rugby to focus on studies, so I don't see that happening. Who knows where he'd be if he hung around.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agreed. Kaitu'u and Ready have potential but the fact is that the force's set piece stats weren't great. Line outs were poor and the scrum deteriorated with the second unit. With Kaitu'u dynamic play you give up some in the line out with Ready's line out you give up around the park.he his fitness level is definitely less than when he was at the Reds.

Also if you have the opportunity to sign a test front rower for the Puma's you take it.
To me this goes back to message - do we currently have the depth for 5 teams? - heck no - but is it Better having a bigger footprint of 5 teams with imports or 4 teams with no imports - the former every day of the week I say.

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tight 5 still concerns me. Holmes and Longbottom signed - but these guys are absolutely on their last legs, they will be good servants and hold the TH side most the time, but their impact around the field will be limited. I would be happy with them at THP if we had a more physically dominant LHP, however we have Robertson there. Robertson again is a serviceable player at set piece, but minimal impact around the field.

Montoya is a great step up. As far as the 5 teams, Force came in at 5th in terms of Hooker ranking (Fainga'a, Uelese, Amosa, Horton, then Kaituu or Ready) However with Montoya, I think that in this position they will have the no.2 or at worst 3 hooker. Definitely a step up.

A lack of presence/dominance in our front row options puts MASSIVE pressure on the locks to be dominant, but unfortunately you would need guys like Arnold, Skelton, Timani to make up for that lack of presence in the front row.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
You forgot Tom Roberson which is a quality signing

It's an improvement, but if you ranked each team based on each position, Force with Robertson as LHP could still be 5th, maybe 4th.

Brumbies - Sio
Rebels - Orr
Tahs - Bell
Reds - Hoopert
Force - Robertson

Robertson was better then Bell, but will he stay better? Is he better then Hoopert? If Smith was staying at Reds then Force would be below Reds definitely.