• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So impey been saying force and rapid rugby been in discussions with them but heard very little on discussions with RA recently.

No intel or mentions on relationships and discussions with RA yet would have thought force reinvolvement with oz super rugby sides seen as successful.

No idea at this point where things are heading and If alignment between twiggy and RA as been very quiet. Anyone got some inside tract on this?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If these rumblings around Twiggy talking to NZR about joining SRAo are true then it would explain why no front line Wallabies have been signed by the Force as yet. Players would want an assurance that they will be eligible for Wallaby selection if they sign with the Force, and no way will RA accept that if they decline an offer to play in SRAu and go to SRAo instead.

Not all players are driven by money - there are some outliers who are, and similarly the outliers at the other end only want to play for Australia. But the vast majority of our top players seek a balance, to be paid well AND be able to represent their country.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It would make no sense for RA not to select players from the Force for the Wallabies, regardless of the team playing in Super Rugby Oz or Super Rugby Kiwi. It was only an issue for the GRR because of the quality of the opposition and law variations.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It would make no sense for RA not to select players from the Force for the Wallabies, regardless of the team playing in Super Rugby Oz or Super Rugby Kiwi. It was only an issue for the GRR because of the quality of the opposition and law variations.

if there's no Giteau clause then it's not an issue.

But if they are Australian's playing in an overseas comp (like Japan) then I'd suggest they would be ineligible under current 'laws'

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
If these rumblings around Twiggy talking to NZR about joining SRAo are true then it would explain why no front line Wallabies have been signed by the Force as yet. Players would want an assurance that they will be eligible for Wallaby selection if they sign with the Force, and no way will RA accept that if they decline an offer to play in SRAu and go to SRAo instead.

Not all players are driven by money - there are some outliers who are, and similarly the outliers at the other end only want to play for Australia. But the vast majority of our top players seek a balance, to be paid well AND be able to represent their country.
I suspect you are right and indeed twiggy as hard negotiator speaking to nz to play off RA on terms acceptable to them. NZRU with their direct approach to unions have shown they could not care less about fracturing or damaging Australian rugby as only care about their self interests (why a strong australian rugby partner they can’t see in their interests is beyond me).

Twiggy playing hard ball and with NZRU appearing to care little about nzru-ra relations this could get ugly as I don’t discount the threat and likelihood of twiggy taking the force and other rapid rugby teams to nz if RA don’t meet his demands. RA are up against a seasoned hard nosed negotiator with twiggy so this could not end well.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Forwards locked and loaded

October 7, 2020

Forwards Fergus Lee-Warner, Kane Koteka, and Ollie Callan have committed to the Western Force for a further two years, with the trio signing new contract extensions.

Read more.....

Alex Ross (28)
RA are up against a seasoned hard nosed negotiator with twiggy so this could not end well.
Well, best of luck to him. I hope the Force enjoy their new home ground in NZ. The thing Teiggy is forgetting, or perhaps just the people who are speculating that the negotiations between NZR and Twiggy are about entering Super Rugby Aotera in their own, is that NZ’s competition cannot happen in Australia without Rugby Australia’s permission.

Anyone who thinks that RA will just step aside and let a rival comp happen in their backyard that directly impacts professional Rugby in Australia has rocks in their head. I don’t see NZR taking on World Rugby so they can play the Force in WA. Not for all the money twiggy has in his pocket.

The Force will be playing the NZ Super sides if and only if the other 4 franchises are also playing.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
No one has committed to anything. The Force would be crazy not to keep all options available. We cannot count on RA either due to past behaviour or due to no broadcast deal, no fixed competition structure for 2021.

I could very easily see a situation arising where RA cave to NZRU and select the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies as the three Aussie sides leaving the Rebels and the Force (again) with nothing. I don't want to play without the other Aussie sides but not as much as I don't want to be without a competition to play in.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
No one has committed to anything. The Force would be crazy not to keep all options available. We cannot count on RA either due to past behaviour or due to no broadcast deal, no fixed competition structure for 2021.

I could very easily see a situation arising where RA cave to NZRU and select the Tahs, Reds and Brumbies as the three Aussie sides leaving the Rebels and the Force (again) with nothing. I don't want to play without the other Aussie sides but not as much as I don't want to be without a competition to play in.

I do understand about keeping options open - obviously would prefer twiggy and RA completely united and positioning oz rugby as more then master servant relationship to nzru.

I really don’t know but like to know what future holds for oz pro rugby as big unknown at this stage

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Montoya is the type of player they need.

He will be perfect for their front row stocks now just need another Lock and Force are in business

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Quality signing but thought they were well served at hooker by Ready, Feleti and Tessman

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Quality signing but thought they were well served at hooker by Ready, Feleti and Tessman

Agreed. Kaitu'u and Ready have potential but the fact is that the force's set piece stats weren't great. Line outs were poor and the scrum deteriorated with the second unit. With Kaitu'u dynamic play you give up some in the line out with Ready's line out you give up around the park...he his fitness level is definitely less than when he was at the Reds.

Also if you have the opportunity to sign a test front rower for the Puma's you take it.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mostly agreed. I love Tessman, but I also think he's past it. I thought Ready was in great form in the final rounds. He and Feleti and a development option would be the way to go.

We need to be signing some big backrowers and locks.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Force add Argentinian internationals

October 8, 2020
The Western Force has added some South American flavour to their 2021 squad with the signing of two Argentinian international players.

Read more.....

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Mostly agreed. I love Tessman, but I also think he's past it. I thought Ready was in great form in the final rounds.
Tess possibly looking at things like coaching soon enough. Will be 37 y.o. by the next season of pro rugby (presuming there is one).

Then a development option? Yep. Be good if there was still a development comp.....