• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force v ACT Brumbies - Rnd 17 Friday 5 June

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

This thread is for discussing this match only

The Rules
  1. Do not give scores for any other match from this round until 24 hours after the last game!
  2. Do not discuss other matches in detail.
  3. Good hearted banter is encouraged but trolling is not allowed.
  4. Be respectful to posters, players, coaches and match officials.
Breaches of the rules will be handled by the Mod Team.

Two teams with divergent destinies as we approach the business end of the S15 season.

One is battling for their spot as top dog in the Aussie conference, the other is battling to get their Bali flight and accommodation bookings sorted for the end of season. The excitement over this game is ELECTRIC!

The only good news for the Force is big dog Ben McCalman signing on for another 3 years. Thanks Benny for your loyalty over the journey :D

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
If the brumbies win they lock in finals footy and put pressure on the tahs for top Aussie spot. Lose and they face the cru at home in a do our die scenario.

The Force were pretty average last week and the majority of the season except against the tahs.

If the Brums can't get the win here I just hope some tries are scored and it's not one of those typical force arm wrestles decided by a number divisible by three.

M

Moono75

Force will have a different look with Sias out injured so Luke Burton should slide into 10 for a start. Hopefully he can key a more attacking (running) mindset.

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
If the Brumbies play like they should and like they say they want to, this could become an obituary column.

Brums with a 4 try bonus point win.

M

Moono75

Western Force v ACT Brumbies
7.00pm (WST) Friday 5 June 2015
NIB Stadium, Perth

1) Pekahou Cowan
2) Nathan Charles
3) Guy Millar
4) Sam Wykes
5) Adam Coleman
6) Angus Cottrell
7) Matt Hodgson (c)
8) Ben McCalman
9) Alby Mathewson
10) Zack Holmes
11) Nick Cummins
12) Kyle Godwin
13) Marcel Brache
14) Luke Morahan
15) Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves
16) Heath Tessmann
17) Chris Heiberg
18) Tetera Faulkner
19) Steve Mafi
20) Kane Koteka
21) Ryan Louwrens
22) Luke Burton
23) Patrick Dellit

M

Moono75

that surprises me a bit to be honest. I believe he actually go the home ground MOM last week?

Yep...Steve Mafi has been the find of the year for the Force no doubt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take out the Nathan Sharpe medal at the Force awards dinner. Look for a big contribution off the bench with tiring Brumbies in the second half.

Yes it is also Wykes last home game for the Force.

M

Moono75

WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
Thursday, 4 June 2015

WYKES RUNS ON FOR ‘FORCE FIELD’ FAREWELL

Veteran lock Sam Wykes will return to the starting XV and is set to play his final match at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) when the Western Force tackles the ACT Brumbies on Friday (5 June).

The 27-year-old, who will play in the Japanese Top League in 2015/2016, returns to the starting second row, having already played 85 games across eight seasons with the Western Australian club.

Wykes will pack down behind Guy Millar, who earns his first opportunity in the run-on side, having played three matches off the bench this season.

The home side will also feature a fresh halves pairing, with Alby Mathewson back into the starting side, while Zack Holmes also returns to face the ACT side, where he made his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut in 2012.

Head Coach Michael Foley says the match will be a special occasion for Wykes and his teammates.

“As a team – players and staff – we’re very determined to finish our home season with a strong performance in front of our supporters ,” he said.

“Our ability to nail our attacking breakdowns against players that are highly active in that area will be key in seeing our attack convert opportunities to points.

“Friday night represents an opportunity for the team to farewell ‘Wykesy’. Wykesy has always given his all for his mates and our supporters. In most recent times, when asked to captain the team during difficult circumstances this season, he gave his all in accepting the responsibility. As someone who has immense respect for our supporters, the club and his teammates, Sam will be keen to rip in on Friday night, and I know the rest of the boys will be keen to do the same for him.”

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
If the brumbies win they lock in finals footy and put pressure on the tahs for top Aussie spot. Lose and they face the cru at home in a do our die scenario.

The Force were pretty average last week and the majority of the season except against the tahs.

If the Brums can't get the win here I just hope some tries are scored and it's not one of those typical force arm wrestles decided by a number divisible by three.

A little correction Pedro. Even if the Brumbies win against the Force but without a bonus point, I'm pretty sure the Cru can still edge us (or the Tahs) out of the finals. They (the Cru) have won more games than the Brumbies and can still either finish in front of or even with the Brumbies and the Tahs on points.

The critical game will be the last one between the Brumbies and Crusaders.

On this game, there are a lot of 'head to head' contests that will be worth watching. Coleman v Arnold as two of the up and coming locks. Cottrell v Fardy - the rising star against the current Wallaby. Hodgson against Pocock, of course. The inspirational leader against the best on the ball No 7 in the country. McCalman v Vaea - the work horse against the brute. Cummins v Speight - last year's standout wingers. Only one is likely to make the RWC squad. DHP against Moggy. Two huge boots and both good runners with the ball. The next best full backs after Izzy.

Plenty to whet the appetite.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
A little correction Pedro. Even if the Brumbies win against the Force but without a bonus point, I'm pretty sure the Cru can still edge us (or the Tahs) out of the finals. They (the Cru) have won more games than the Brumbies and can still either finish in front of or even with the Brumbies and the Tahs on points.

The critical game will be the last one between the Brumbies and Crusaders.

On this game, there are a lot of 'head to head' contests that will be worth watching. Coleman v Arnold as two of the up and coming locks. Cottrell v Fardy - the rising star against the current Wallaby. Hodgson against Pocock, of course. The inspirational leader against the best on the ball No 7 in the country. McCalman v Vaea - the work horse against the brute. Cummins v Speight - last year's standout wingers. Only one is likely to make the RWC squad. DHP against Moggy. Two huge boots and both good runners with the ball. The next best full backs after Izzy.

Plenty to whet the appetite.
I commend your attempt to make it sound appetising, you almost had me sucked in for a minute until I remembered who I support.

M

Moono75

Charger that puts us one game closer to the continued but very very slow rebuild. If they stand still over the off-season and don't markedly improve in 2016 a member led rebellion will be started.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BR - the Saders have actually won one less than the Brumbies.........

If the Brumbies won without a bonus point, the Crusaders would still need to win both games with bonus points, deny the Brumbies any match points in the final round and finish with a better points difference as they'd be on equal wins..........

But that's very much a possibility as there is only a one point difference there.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
BR - the Saders have actually won one less than the Brumbies...

If the Brumbies won without a bonus point, the Crusaders would still need to win both games with bonus points, deny the Brumbies any match points in the final round and finish with a better points difference as they'd be on equal wins....

But that's very much a possibility as there is only a one point difference there.

Hey Slim. I haven't checked the details of their points but if they are only 4 points behind the Brumbies (which I think is the case) and the Brumbies have outscored them for bonus points (which I think they have) then the Cru must have at least as many wins or maybe one more. Happy to be corrected when I next look at the table.

M

Moono75

Hey Slim. I haven't checked the details of their points but if they are only 4 points behind the Brumbies (which I think is the case) and the Brumbies have outscored them for bonus points (which I think they have) then the Cru must have at least as many wins or maybe one more. Happy to be corrected when I next look at the table.

Saders are 6 points adrift of the Brumbies. Best concentrate on trying to win Friday before doing your finals permutations. Go Force!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Crusaders are 6 points behind the Brumbies with one less win.............

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Crusaders are 6 points behind the Brumbies with one less win.....

Thanks. I stand corrected. But to ensure a finals spot, the Brumbies probably need to win with a bonus point. Only way they might do that is to play with ball in hand. No silly gifting possession to the Force. That could be a big ask the way they've generally been playing this year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks. I stand corrected. But to ensure a finals spot, the Brumbies probably need to win with a bonus point. Only way they might do that is to play with ball in hand. No silly gifting possession to the Force. That could be a big ask the way they've generally been playing this year.

Yep, I have a bad feeling about this game.

Force actually look good on paper.
Cottrell, McCalman, Hodgson is as good a backrow as any.
Wykes and Coleman experienced locks.
Holmes is a good flyhalf - he filled in well when he was with the Brumbies
Cummins, Godwin, Haylett-Petty, Morahan - are all great players.

Sorry about the front row and the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.