• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force v Brumbies - HBF - Saturday, 20 May 2023

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's nothing wrong with the resting policy, it's neccessary but I think teams should just be smarter about it. Brumbies throwing the match in Christchurch is fine but you don't disrespect the Force in Perth and think you can still win playing an even worse side than the one you did in ChCh. They could've staggered their Wallabies resting by doing 1-2 in the lead up match to this one.

When you say "teams," does that mean that everyone will start to adhere to this supposed blanket policy?

But I'm pretty sure the Brumbies went into this match with the same expectations that they had against the understrength 'saders early in the season.

They're making the best with a shit policy, that I would've been happy for them not to follow to put the team ahead of the Wallabies' needs.

If you follow the Brumbies' team selections of recent years they've always managed their roster well with rotation and rest for key players, so they didn't really need their hand forced with when it had to apply.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You’re either saying they thought they could win in Chch with the team selected or they were ok with losing the Force game ..?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually feel a little for Larkham on this, I am guessing he is planning on how many games his team has got intil end of season assuming they make the Final, which is another 5. He would of looked at games and know he really can't play top players every week , so he risked reating them against Force in away game, which I think most coaches would of done. He would want to top team at home, and will want them in finals so I guessing this was best time to freshen players up before finals?

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
When you say "teams," does that mean that everyone will start to adhere to this supposed blanket policy?

But I'm pretty sure the Brumbies went into this match with the same expectations that they had against the understrength 'saders early in the season.

They're making the best with a shit policy, that I would've been happy for them not to follow to put the team ahead of the Wallabies' needs.

If you follow the Brumbies' team selections of recent years they've always managed their roster well with rotation and rest for key players, so they didn't really need their hand forced with when it had to apply.
I think there was some element of the 6 day turn around and travel from Perth that probably added to the level of changes ahead of a critical Chiefs match. That being said previously in the thread there were other opportunities for rotation (Drua, Moana @ Home) that would’ve reduced the amount of changes made for the force match.

For the brums I thought Tommy Hooper looked like he was returning to some form (ya love to see it) and muirhead could hold his head high at fullback. Sapsford and Creighton had shockers, really looked out of their depth. Van Nek/Schoupp probably overplayed their on-balling in the first 25 and overall the team weren’t at their disciplined best.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Irrespective of who played, what policies were in place, who was injured or not, what the weather was etc, the record books will forever show the results for Saturday 20 May 2023 as follows:

Screenshot 2023-05-22 090014.png

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
Do professional players really need a rest after 12 rounds? Understand the travel argument but I don’t recall Aussie teams resting players all that often when we used to play the Saffas. Irrespective, I’m very glad I stayed up to watch this game on Sat night.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Do professional players really need a rest after 12 rounds? Understand the travel argument but I don’t recall Aussie teams resting players all that often when we used to play the Saffas. Irrespective, I’m very glad I stayed up to watch this game on Sat night.
You can get away without rests, but not if you want players performing at high level.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well, don't play them at all if you don't want to risk injuries.
No but just don't play them more than you have to. I always wonder what would happen if coming into finals a team picks up 2-3 injuries to top players, and they have played all games so back up have no gametime. Would we think it was great coaching?

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
No but just don't play them more than you have to. I always wonder what would happen if coming into finals a team picks up 2-3 injuries to top players, and they have played all games so back up have no gametime. Would we think it was great coaching?
Injuries is something you cannot control. Losing games because you bench half your team IS something you can control.