• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force v Crusaders. Perth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
JO'C injured + Cowan, Whittaker, McCalman, Sheehan and Cummins in the starting side.

Emirates Western Force v Crusaders
Friday, 23 April 2010 at ME Bank Stadium, Perth
Kick-off: 7.45pm AWST
Referee: Jonathan Kaplan

Emirates Western Force Squad

1.Pek Cowan
2.Ben Whittaker
3.Tim Fairbrother
4.Ben McCalman
5.Nathan Sharpe (c)
6.Matt Hodgson
7.David Pocock
8.Richard Brown
9.Brett Sheehan
10.David Hill
11.Cameron Shepherd
12.Ryan Cross
13.Mitch Inman
14.Nick Cummins
15.Mark Bartholomeusz

Reserves

16.Nathan Charles (FR)
17.Matt Dunning (FR)
18. Tom Hockings
19. Sam Wykes
20.Justin Turner
21.Sam Harris
22.Dane Haylett-Petty

Some quotes from their press release:

Emirates Western Force Coach John Mitchell has reshaped his run-on side for a clash against the top of the table Crusaders at ME Bank Stadium on Friday night with Wallaby experienced front rower Pek Cowan and scrumhalf Brett Sheehan returning, however the home side will be without the services of young back James O’Connor who has been ruled out with a shoulder injury.

O’Connor picked up the knock in last Saturday’s loss to the Blues in Auckland and is expected to return within a fortnight. He has been replaced at fullback by experienced utility Mark Bartholomeusz, while Ben Whittaker, Ben McCalman and Nick Cummins are the other changes to the starting XV.

“James has a shoulder injury and it’s about a week (recovery time) but we may manage it for two weeks to give him the right opportunity of repairing it,” Mitchell said.

“He has a long season ahead (with Wallabies duties) and it is important that we manage him properly.”

McCalman, in his first season of Super Rugby, has made a significant impact predominantly as a flanker however he has been given an opportunity to play at lock from the reserves bench in the past few weeks and against the Crusaders will partner Captain Nathan Sharpe from the opening whistle.

“His physical style, agility and carry are critical factors,” Mitchell said of McCalman.

“I think he has been huge for us this season especially considering the injuries we’ve had in the back row. He has received an enormous amount of minutes in his first year of Super 14 and has coped mentally and physically really well and progressed his lineout work.

“We’re more than confident that he can handle the second row and bring some huge advantages for us in the area where the game needs to be physical.”

G

Geeves

Re: Western Force v Crusaders

Based on my weekly predictions elsewhere:

Force v Sadders
The Force were building nicely until they were torn a new one by the Blues on the weekend. But they are now back at home and playing for a bit of redemption after an pathetic injury ravaged start of the season.

The Sadders have only lost one game (to the Reds) and drawn 1 game but they don’t have it their own way in Perth. They have to win this game as after this they are in SA against the Stormers and Bulls before finishing the season against the Nags. Part of me believes that the Sadders will be vulnerable as they may be looking at the next 3 weeks instead of the Force.

This game is likely to have a very exciting last 20. I’m betting that the Sadders will be behind at that point and will try and come home with a wet sail to sneak the win by 7 or less.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Why would you play Bart at 15 when an in-form Shep looks like he was born and bred to play 15. It's silly.

I mean obviously he isn't in that form now but he isn't going to get there through playing a different position.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
en_force_er said:
Why would you play Bart at 15 when an in-form Shep looks like he was born and bred to play 15. It's silly.

I mean obviously he isn't in that form now but he isn't going to get there through playing a different position.

Persistent rumours keep stating that it is because of Shep being injury ridden that he's not at 15. Still can't kick like he used to, and other stuff...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ash said:
en_force_er said:

Persistent rumours keep stating that it is because of Shep being injury ridden that he's not at 15. Still can't kick like he used to, and other stuff...

I did hear that actually but I dismissed it. I mean, if you are too injured to play rugby in your position isn't it time to quit?

Also is fullback really that much more punishing than wing?

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
en_force_er said:
is fullback really that much more punishing than wing?
if your hammies are suspect and you don't want to kick, then yes.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
John Mitchell is a twat, goes & drops Hockings to the bench & O'Young all together.

Does that bloke have any idea what he's doing.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
disco said:
John Mitchell is a twat, goes & drops Hockings to the bench & O'Young all together.

Does that bloke have any idea what he's doing.

He has too terrific potential Wallaby locks in Wykes and Hockings. He needs to either develop one or both.

He can't keep playing them all willy-nilly like he has been. It seems to be in nobody's best interests.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Does anyone know if the JOC (James O'Connor) fortnight started last Sunday, ie he'll be back next week or from the announcement ie he'll miss two games?

O'Young to me looked close to the second best of the Oz halves this year so it seems a bit strange that he got dumped for announcing his retirement.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hawko said:
Does anyone know if the JOC (James O'Connor) fortnight started last Sunday, ie he'll be back next week or from the announcement ie he'll miss two games?

O'Young to me looked close to the second best of the Oz halves this year so it seems a bit strange that he got dumped for announcing his retirement.

Sheehan is back and O'Young is retiring and Turner needs game time.

Sheehan also looked really good before being wounded as well

P

PhucNgo

fatprop said:
Hawko said:

Sheehan is back and O'Young is retiring and Turner needs game time.

Sheehan also looked really good before being wounded as well

I must have missed that.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
PN, he played pretty well early in the season. Typically abrasive, but got them on the front foot a lot.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah he did. Yeah PN did miss it. I was quite surprised as he had some shockers for the Rats last year - Sheehan, not PN. PN is always in good form.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Great comeback Force. Uh oh Dunning on!

Saders will come home as usual I expect. :angryfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.