• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force v Waratahs: Saturday 16th April

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
If twiggy focused on bringing some of that talent home it would make a huge difference. Get Hoskins or Ainsley back, or both. Matt Philip is close to the best lock in Aus, Hardwick is a very good player. Luke Morahan, Billy Meakes, Curtis Rona, Isi Naisarani, are all still good footy players. Adam Coleman still has plenty of footy left in him agewise. If Twiggy actually wants the force to be contenders then matching the offers the players get overseas should be possible for a billionaire.
I think there is a salary cap which prevents offers matching what many OS players are earning-hence the player drain from Aussie rugby to offshore

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
If you watch closely it came off Mark's boot and went backwards. I think it's technically still a knock on since he didn't mean to kick it but no way you could rule that a deliberate knockdown.
It doesn't matter of it comes off his foot as he didn't intend it. In most cases now of it's not caught it's classed as deliberate.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Rugby Australia fault. Hahaha. True toys out of the cot line from you. Such a good side that couldn't make the finals in 10 years of existence. Two of the three 2017 Force players starting this weekend are born and bred NSW players anyway.
The second best side in Aussie when they got the boot. How can U sit there and say that ? They were becoming a great side and then Aru swept it away. The force have those players a chance and their pathway turned them into solid players. Listen to yourself haha

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
My opinion too. Plus the slow starts (a problem all year) has meant the Force has been chasing tries when they could have been taking penalties if they were closer.
Think Rhoda’s carries and Fines speed might have created more penetration when you guys had those multiple phase periods of the game.

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
I think there is a salary cap which prevents offers matching what many OS players are earning-hence the player drain from Aussie rugby to offshore
All teams have the same salary cap. Some teams have the added benefit of Wallaby top-ups which means their effective salary cap is significantly higher. I’ve heard figures of $5.5M cap but when you hear of $1M offers from EU and JP clubs you can see why players are going.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If twiggy focused on bringing some of that talent home it would make a huge difference. Get Hoskins or Ainsley back, or both. Matt Philip is close to the best lock in Aus, Hardwick is a very good player. Luke Morahan, Billy Meakes, Curtis Rona, Isi Naisarani, are all still good footy players. Adam Coleman still has plenty of footy left in him agewise. If Twiggy actually wants the force to be contenders then matching the offers the players get overseas should be possible for a billionaire.
I think theyve agreed to abide by the salary cap, no?

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
1. When was this good side?
2. Who are all these other players?
Second best team in Aus when we got the boot. Missed out on the finals on for and against I think.
Newsome, Hardwick, Orr, RHP, Matt Philip, faulkner
Most have now gone overseas
Arnold, Coleman, Isi Naisarani, meakes, Morahan
All players who made the force into almost the best side in Aussie rugby before we got shafted.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Second best team in Aus when we got the boot. Missed out on the finals on for and against I think.
Newsome, Hardwick, Orr, RHP, Matt Philip, faulkner
Most have now gone overseas
Arnold, Coleman, Isi Naisarani, meakes, Morahan
All players who made the force into almost the best side in Aussie rugby before we got shafted.

In 2017 the Force finished 7th in the Australasian Group… 12th overall.

You missed out on the finals because you were nowhere near making them…

And only one of those players in starting in another Australian team?

OK…

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
T
Let's get this straight these comments have been made in a game thread where the Force had 60% of the ball huge periods of time in the tahs 22m but we not able to convert.

Agree that Waratahs haven't been good over the past couple of seasons but that has nothing to do with my comment nor Shiggins whom I responded to.

I genuinely want the Force to do well but Shiggins claiming that the Force had "such a great side" and all those players are starting at other teams (from a quick review of the team lists there was 3 for the entire round - NSW 1, Rebels 2 - only 1 from WA). Since the 2017 season I think the tahs only have 3 players left from that squad which is the same as the force.

It sucks that the Force were kicked out but if you keep using it as your only excuse the team is never going to be better.
TO be fair last year it was worse. Half the rebels squad were ex force players and then the other side's had a bout 2 too 3 each. Most of those guys have gone overseas now.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
In 2017 the Force finished 7th in the Australasian Group… 12th overall.

You missed out on the finals because you were nowhere near making them…

And only one of those players in starting in another Australian team?

OK…
We finished equal first on points with the other Aussie side. We were by for one of the best sides in Aus if not the best. You're pointing out all the kiwi sides were above us. That's the same every year with all Aus sides.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
It's amazing how short everyone's memory is. Our last year was great. The last game of the season when we thrashed the Waratahs. Beat the reds twice.
of course the lads over east want to forget.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We finished equal first on points with the other Aussie side. We were by for one of the best sides in Aus if not the best. You're pointing out all the kiwi sides were above us. That's the same every year with all Aus sides.

No, you did not…

The Brumbies finished 8 points ahead of the Force that year.

You’re living in a fantasy…

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
No, you did not…

The Brumbies finished 8 points ahead of the Force that year.

You’re living in a fantasy…
My mistake. I meant we missed out of the finals by a smidge. We were still one of the better Aus sides that year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's amazing how short everyone's memory is. Our last year was great. The last game of the season when we thrashed the Waratahs. Beat the reds twice.
of course the lads over east want to forget.
In any case, deciding who to cut (you or the Rebels) was never about on-field performance (since the players would just go to the other team which they mostly did). It was about business/commercial.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
In any case, deciding who to cut (you or the Rebels) was never about on-field performance (since the players would just go to the other team which they mostly did). It was about business/commercial.
Hahahahahaha no it wasn't.
The force had financial backing and had a fan base which is something almost none of the other super sides had.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
And you guys just sit there and say it's not a big deal. I would love to see your team get kicked out for years and then have to start over.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hahahahahaha no it wasn't.
The force had financial backing and had a fan base which is something almost none of the other super sides had.
From who? Because no Twiggy was not involved in any capacity then and didn't want to bankroll them because he was offside with RA.

FWIW, I thought the Rebels should've been punted.

Status
Not open for further replies.