• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would love to have a beer with the Woodies decision makers and the Wicks decision makers.
Is one of them way off,or is the answer in the middle somewhere?
I have heard Papworth on the radio a few times,and to say he was lukewarm about the NRC,would be dramatically overstating his view.

did he give specifics of any misgivings he had or was this "the vibe"?
To me a bloke like him provides a comparison and insight between clubland and the big time that some ARU board members are not familiar with: for instance, the Syd U experience is not typical of any other club.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have heard Papworth on the radio a few times,and to say he was lukewarm about the NRC,would be dramatically overstating his view.

Pappy's first priority would be keeping the Woodies alive. I am well out of the loop, but the huge demographic changes in the district are unstoppable. Financial support from North Ryde RSL will not continue indefinitely. The support base is still there, but it is ageing.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I can see where Pappy is coming from, but for any former club player to be lukewarm on the idea of the NRC is hardly breaking news. Poidevin and a few others have been shooting the idea down now for years.

"Club rugby gave us all the talent we needed in the past!" they trumpet.

Forgetting completely that rugby in Australia has very nearly disappeared up its own arse several times in between that talent emerging.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a no brainer for an investor to get involved. It's a chance to basically part own and run a rugby team on the national stage for a low 6 figure sum. To build it from nothing into something that might still exist in 100 years. Spare change to a lot of rugby people to do something they'd find really worthwhile and enjoyable.

I hope it's one of the groups interested in the Waratahs license just so I can say I told you so!

I think Papworth's attitude is disappointing.

The clubs absolutely stand to benefit from a successful NRC, and especially if the teams they are aligned with/part of have success. If everyone had his attitude the competition wouldn't be happening.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Anyone know how to embed tweets?

Anyway, I tweeted earlier that my pure speculation that this might be a bitch move from Eastwood because the other partners didn't agree to hosting at Millner.

Would have been a very good earn for the Woodies - bar takings and food sales would do alright, and they could rent out space to other caterers to offer alternatives.
EDIT

“The only organisation (the ARU) who stands to benefit wants the clubs to fund it, and carry the risk. It makes no sense to us, and I am astounded the other clubs have jumped in. There is nothing in it for the clubs. It just relegates club footy further down the chain.”

Aw fucking turn it up Pappy. I know you've got your mates to look after, but club rugby hasn't improved in decades, and its not about to because of self-interest by EVERYONE in rugby, from the ARU down. Thing is, without the ARU to negotiate deals, we don't have a game, simple as that.

Poido et al bang on about club rugby "being good enough to create Wallabies and win World Cups" but it also produced huge periods of utter shite from our rugby setup.

No risk = no reward. Train is leaving - get on or stay behind.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
A lack of enthusiasm is not necessarily the problem. A lack of money is.

Would the lack of money stem from the lack of willingness to do anything about the lack of money, but be abundance of enthusiasm stem from knowing that the fence provides a good view either way - and if its a winner I have cashed up mates that will bet on a shore thing, or praise my wisdom for having the foresight to bail in advance of the crash?

I suppose its a discussion point to be had while watching.....oh shit!Um.....soccer, AFL.........

NationalRugbyChamps

Stan Wickham (3)
What's going on? Someone wants to run the show and others not having a bar of it? Seems very strange 2 have pulled our and SD going that way too. Huge part of Sydney not being represented if it goes pear shaped. Someone has said rams are '"too big to fail" but could be on the cards...

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If there is a consortium of 6 investors who are putting up the money as reported, then why are all these clubs pulling out?

These are very disappointing developments and the true story needs to come out. Hopefully these investors are committed with or without the clubs officially involved. If they are then it may even be better for the Rams to be independent of competing clubs.

T

TOCC

If the Rams consortium really falls to shit, i would prefer to see the ARU/NSWRU step in and assume some control rather then the team fold and miss the season altogether.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the Rams consortium really falls to shit, i would prefer to see the ARU/NSWRU step in and assume some control rather then the team fold and miss the season altogether.

Agreed. The west of Sydney is too important not to have a team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

If things are coming apart at the seems then I absolutely agree with you on a takeover. The ARU have just saved themselves a million by abolishing the EPS. So there may be some extra cash to ensure it gets up and running.

Sydney's West needs high level representation of some sort in this competition. Ignoring an area with 2.2 million or so people would be utter lunacy.