• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

rimmerdee

Stan Wickham (3)
14 Parramatta Ram development players ...really
Head coach Gerrard needs to have a good look at selections this is quite frankly a bid to develop Paramatta at the cost of other clubs .
I guess it's a matter of who you know .. Same game just different competition
Cameron Orr an Australian U20 player on the bench?

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
Cameron Orr an Australian U20 player on the bench?
2 Parramatta colts players in the squad
Souths had a very strong colts team with 2 Aust schoolboys but they missed out?
Nobody from the Eastwood 2nd grade team was good enough? They were minor premiers and i would guess they had U/23 players in that team

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The development squad seems to very clearly have a focus on the western suburbs which is probably why it's mostly based around Parramatta players.

I think you're getting a bit too riled up about a bunch of players who will play two or three games have a few training sessions and get some free kit out of the deal.

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
If you enquire you might find that the senior Rams squad coaches had the most say in the development team selections. Eastwood average age in top grades is about 28 years and most are playing in the NRC franchise or elsewhere. Souths grade players are also scattered among other franchises and the senior team. Parramatta first grade average age bracket is about 22 years so many of them fit the development criteria.

Souths colts would have a number of players in the NSW 20's squad as they are a young colts side. It hasn't stopped Jonno Brown being selected. Cameron Orr is a good young player but isn't starting in Shute shield yet, others named are. Parramatta colts named all had Shute Shield experience this year and did manage to beat Souths in one of the colts rounds in both past seasons. There's also an Eastwood colt named in the squad. Does anyone have a problem with that? I don't. Other franchises have named colts in their development squads, makes sense.

This squad is designed to give some of the potential next Shute Shield level players a taste of what to expect and all the franchises seem to be getting it pretty right with some working as U21 and others at U23. Let's see what they've got to offer.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well said PC3. Jeez its good to hear from someone with a reason. I usually just go on browbeating and disdain.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
This squad is designed .......
Well, supposition. Perhaps, possibly, probably right but we'll never know if the Rams don't publish the raison d'être. The cynical amongst us (and Lord knows that excludes myself ;) ) might suspect some placation. Coach G is an honourable man and it has been pointed out by others that many players who might, prima facie, be considered for such a development team are already occupied elsewhere. I don't imagine the Rams management will pop in any time soon to explain all this so I'm afraid this will remain a hotbed of supposition, and even worse.

Tah and feathered

Watty Friend (18)
If you enquire you might find that the senior Rams squad coaches had the most say in the development team selections. Eastwood average age in top grades is about 28 years and most are playing in the NRC franchise or elsewhere. Souths grade players are also scattered among other franchises and the senior team. Parramatta first grade average age bracket is about 22 years so many of them fit the development criteria.

Souths colts would have a number of players in the NSW 20's squad as they are a young colts side. It hasn't stopped Jonno Brown being selected. Cameron Orr is a good young player but isn't starting in Shute shield yet, others named are. Parramatta colts named all had Shute Shield experience this year and did manage to beat Souths in one of the colts rounds in both past seasons. There's also an Eastwood colt named in the squad. Does anyone have a problem with that? I don't. Other franchises have named colts in their development squads, makes sense.

This squad is designed to give some of the potential next Shute Shield level players a taste of what to expect and all the franchises seem to be getting it pretty right with some working as U21 and others at U23. Let's see what they've got to offer.

If someone plays a couple of games in SS doesnt make them SS standard.
If the argument to put Parramatta colts in ahead of Souths colts is because Parramatta beat Souths in a comp game then in the 2nd round parramatta loose 71 to 14 means nothing?
Parramatta firsts missed the finals
Parramatta 2nds came 3rd last
Parramatta 1st colts missed the finals
Yet they get 13 out of 23 players
Ahead of players in clubs that made finals?
Clubs are probably happy to have there players resting up for next year but to say this is not a carve up is a joke and gives no credibility to a development team concept

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
If the argument to put Parramatta colts in ahead of Souths colts is because Parramatta beat Souths in a comp game then in the 2nd round parramatta loose 71 to 14 means nothing?
Clubs are probably happy to have there players resting up for next year but to say this is not a carve up is a joke and gives no credibility to a development team concept
Just so it's clear, Brian Melrose and John Manetti chose the initial squad, then asked club coaches for additional nominations. They then asked Fasavalu to assist Manetti with coaching. If any club feels dudded you should look to your head coach.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

FFS. Did you NOT read my earlier comment?

Proving beyond all doubt that you can put in place good initiatives, but someone will still whine like an old fishwife about it.

Is your name Sheek?

We need rugby strong in the west of Sydney. If Souths were so stiff in the trousers to be part of the concept, Kane Douglas would have turned out for the Rams along with others.

If you don't like it, support someone else. I'm sick of fucking whiners.

HorseSizedDuck

Peter Burge (5)
What did we all think of the crowd attendance at pirtek yesterday? 1063 I believe?

Note, that you probably had UNI supporters there too from the inner west.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
What did we all think of the crowd attendance at pirtek yesterday? 1063 I believe?

Note, that you probably had UNI supporters there too from the inner west.

I think you can assume that the Twinkles actually have supporters in all the more affluent suburbs, not just the inner west.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Just so it's clear, Brian Melrose and John Manetti chose the initial squad, then asked club coaches for additional nominations. They then asked Fasavalu to assist Manetti with coaching. If any club feels dudded you should look to your head coach.
So, placation.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Near the end of the stream yesterday the commentators estimated the crowd at over 3,000. 1063 is a long way off that!!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Estimating crowd numbers from high up on the second tier does nothing for accuracy.

I thought at the ground they announced 1600? Just over 1000 doesn't seem right to me. If you break them up into blocks of roughly 20, there would have been closer to 1500. But if they're saying that's the official gate? Well I guess.

It makes the 1500 quoted on the broadcast game two weeks ago even more of a fucking joke.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Maybe they are counting official sold tickets for the gate, and have about 500 hangers on with free tickets / circumventing the ticket system?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
There was the women's 7s tournament on before the game as well which boosted numbers a bit. Not sure if that was making things a bit funny.

Fuck it was a glorious day to be outside.

I had a quick beer with @Lindommer after the game, then as I got back to the car, decided to go for a walk around the area and look at the cricket oval etc.

As I got back near the gates, Melrose was on his way out with a snag sandwich in hand. Had a quick word. He was OK with the win but realises they're nowhere near good enough yet.

A couple of weeks more in the program and we might scrape into the finals.

Not that anyone has snowballs against the Rising.