• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Personally, I'm sick of hearing about 'Benji Marshall this' and 'Benji Marshall that' about his rugby career.

Last week on a commercial TV channel all they mentioned was about his debut yet failed to mention the team from their own state playing in a trial on the same weekend.

If he was playing for an Australian team fair enough, but he's not so lets have more mentions of Australian teams.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Personally, I'm sick of hearing about 'Benji Marshall this' and 'Benji Marshall that' about his rugby career.

Last week on a commercial TV channel all they mentioned was about his debut yet failed to mention the team from their own state playing in a trial on the same weekend.
Are you seriously complaining about our code getting a mention on a commercial channel? Seriously?

If he was playing for an Australian team fair enough, but he's not so lets have more mentions of Australian teams.

He is a former loig star, now playing in our little competition. The more publicity our little competition gets, the better.

If we had a thriving competition, that brought in huge ratings on FTA, we could afford to be a bit picky about free publicity. But we don't. We are well behind the NRL and the AFL by any measure.

We should be very grateful for any crumbs that fall off the big table.

T

TOCC

Benji was once the most marketable player in the NRL, whilst his reputation dimmed in recent eyes he was still categorised in the top 5 most marketable players..

Yes it's boring for rugby tragic's to be force fed articles designed for Mungoes, but at least it generates articles where usually there wouldn't be any.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think we're already seeing the star power Benji Marshall brings.

I'm guessing that John Kirwan could see the interest that Marshall would bring and balanced that against the fact that Chris Noakes was hardly setting the world on fire last year.

Marshall has a good passing game and providing he isn't a complete turnstile in defence he should be serviceable through the season. I think they'll be looking for him to get the basics right and give plenty of ball to the talented backline he has outside him.

BeastieBoy

Herbert Moran (7)
The people want stars. Look how SBW has increased the membership and game day spectator numbers. We need stars who will put bums on seats. BM will do that. So does Folau. Our previous stars have been doing the opposite last year.

T

TOCC

The people want stars. Look how SBW has increased the membership and game day spectator numbers. We need stars who will put bums on seats. BM will do that. So does Folau. Our previous stars have been doing the opposite last year.

Like who?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Headline over on The Roar - Benji to tackle Kurtley in clash with Waratahs - says it all in terms of name-recognition. I can understand people being a tad miffed at BM getting so much coverage before he's even played a real game of footy, but that's just how the media works (& always has done) & rugby just needs to milk his status for all it's worth for as long as it has worth.

Reactions: deL

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Headline over on The Roar - Benji to tackle Kurtley in clash with Waratahs - says it all in terms of name-recognition. I can understand people being a tad miffed at BM getting so much coverage before he's even played a real game of footy, but that's just how the media works (& always has done) & rugby just needs to milk his status for all it's worth for as long as it has worth.

He's not getting coverage DESPITE never having played a real game of rugby, he's getting coverage BECAUSE he's never played a real game of rugby.

3 or 4 game into the season he won't be making the news anymore, let's put it that way.

Reactions: deL
T

TOCC

The point is that he is putting rugby union in the headlines through reporters newspapers/broadcasts which wouldn't normally feature a rugby union headline at this time of the year...

Any exposure to let the general public know that super rugby is about to kick off again is a good thing, unless you have foxtel or are a rugby union tragic you would be none the wiser that the season was about to start..

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's not getting coverage DESPITE never having played a real game of rugby, he's getting coverage BECAUSE he's never played a real game of rugby.

3 or 4 game into the season he won't be making the news anymore, let's put it that way.

I suspect that he will, given that by then various pundits will be lining up to call his code-switch a triumph unmatched in the annals of either game; a disaster unmatched in the annals of either game; or a work in progress.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I suspect that he will, given that by then various pundits will be lining up to call his code-switch a triumph unmatched in the annals of either game; a disaster unmatched in the annals of either game; or a work in progress.

Come on, no journalist is ever that fair. ;)

T

TOCC

I thought he was very average, poor passes@CoachTeamRehab: I have been advised that my recent publication of the new Wallaby jersey was potentially a legal issue, subsequently it has been retracted, poor kicking(missed touch), poor positioning, poor understanding of the game( I.e rucks).

I will give him credit for his defence which was ok, although He slipped of Skelton for that try it's excusable.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has potential but tonight's game will go down as one to forget for him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thought he was very average, poor passes@CoachTeamRehab: I have been advised that my recent publication of the new Wallaby jersey was potentially a legal issue, subsequently it has been retracted, poor kicking(missed touch), poor positioning, poor understanding of the game( I.e rucks).

I will give him credit for his defence which was ok, although He slipped of Skelton for that try it's excusable.

Don't get me wrong, I think he has potential but tonight's game will go down as one to forget for him.

Maybe it's too early to say this but the Blues aren't looking too great for this year. Every year there's a surprise package out of NZ (Blues 2013, Canes 2012) and the Blues aren't looking the goods.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
They had a lot of players out last night. Too early to tell.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
They had a lot of players out last night. Too early to tell.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

This is true, they had a lot of their new and more seasoned players out, but they also had practically all of their young and successful 2013 squad available (minus Piatau).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is true, they had a lot of their new and more seasoned players out, but they also had practically all of their young and successful 2013 squad available (minus Piatau).

Piautau was on the bench and played, maybe you are thinking of Luatua.

The Blues were missing probably over half their run on team, so it's hard to tell. Reports say that the guy at 10 for them wasn't helping, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.