• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would imagine that he might make the Australian Sevens squad, if he is prepared to work hard. However, I just cannot see him being good enough to make the NZ squad.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I would imagine that he might make the Australian Sevens squad, if he is prepared to work hard. However, I just cannot see him being good enough to make the NZ squad.

A couple of months training at the feet of Sir Gordon will decide if Benji is up to 7's.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
If this is going to be your thing you're late to the party, didn't that show finish last year?

We can agree to disagree.

IMO 1 on 1 tracking I think is a difficult skill but perhaps one that's less empathised now that every team is running a drift defense.

Benji's D has been questioned. An icon in sevens Waisie Severie - his game was not about defence.

People doubt his D, but he has done things on the park before that very few people can execute. I have concerns about him in the 15 man game, keen to see him in sevens - look forward to seeing what transpires.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
A couple of months training at the feet of Sir Gordon will decide if Benji is up to 7's.

I think you might overate the degree of difficulty playing 7's.
Benji would eat that game up.
The doubters should look at who represent us in 7's.They have been picking 3 or 4 kids straight out of school.You will never convince me these kids are stronger defenders than Benji.
Line up the South pack to run at them.These kids would not stop one of them, one on one.That's who Benji plays against every week.
Their defence is no better than his.His vision and skill level is way above theirs ATM.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
I think you might overate the degree of difficulty playing 7's.
Benji would eat that game up.
The doubters should look at who represent us in 7's.They have been picking 3 or 4 kids straight out of school.You will never convince me these kids are stronger defenders than Benji.
Line up the South pack to run at them.These kids would not stop one of them, one on one.That's who Benji plays against every week.
Their defence is no better than his.His vision and skill level is way above theirs ATM.

I am not doubting his vision, step, or even defense. But fitness is king with 7s (i.e. NZ and Titch). 2 mins of gassing it leads to losing vision, step, speed, and awareness. A fit Benji would dominate, a fat Benji may dominate for 2 mins, then be very average.

Youth is a huge advantage in 7s because its easier to get and stay fit.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mate,Severei played till he was 40,so did Rush.
Benji has been a pro athlete for over a decade.He will be fit enough, if the training regime is up to speed.I am sure that it will be.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I don't understand where he thinks he's going to play for the all blacks.

I heard, and this could be bullshit, that he would play at 15 with Charles Piutau moving to 13 to partner Francis Sailli now that Ranger has gone.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not sure about Benji at FB, but would love to see Piatau at 13.
I Like--mate I don't think he would be fit enough first up to play 7s, most players struggle when they go into Gordon Tietjens set up.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Damn. Unbiased opinion but I was getting excited to see the Blues back line running with a 10 like Barrett.

T

TOCC

If i were a Tigers fan i would be fuming that he is making such a big thing about signing with another team whilst the season is still running.. Yes you can sign with another team, but at least display some constraint and don't wear the jersey until the season is over.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
If i were a Tigers fan i would be fuming that he is making such a big thing about signing with another team whilst the season is still running.. Yes you can sign with another team, but at least display some constraint and don't wear the jersey until the season is over.
The Tigers season was over about three months ago ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.