• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher McDonald

Peter Burge (5)
Just look at the Warriors squad, it is hardly representative of the local population is it?
I'm trying to understand the relevance of the question about how many Polynesian friends I have. Regarding your question, the ratio of Polynesians in that team would be greater than that of the general NZ population. What is your point?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)

I can't fucking stand this type of journalism. Talk about filling up white space.

"Hehe hey guys here's a bunch of circumstantial evidence that means that it is possible that JOC (James O'Connor) could switch to league totally in lieu of any actual evidence or statements made by anyone remotely involved with JOC (James O'Connor) or his management! Oh and one of our interns thinks Ewen may drop JOC (James O'Connor) for the Bledisloe!"

Fuck me I could go home and make an 8 foot sculpture of my girlfriend's cat but that in no way means I am going to.

And somehow this required TWO authors who are both getting paid to produce this dribble. My eyes are rolling so hard I think I may never see straight again.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
That's why I laughed when Rupert Murdoch said we had to pay for news limited Internet if we wanted to maintain quality journalism. If only :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Murdoch is a fluffybunny and I hope he rots in hell. Absolutely gutted whatever political discourse existed in the United States in barely half a lifetime.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I haven't read the preceding 6 pages, I have my doubts about Benji playing the 15 man game, but I think he will carve it up in the Sevens. He is very active in the touch circuit, and is held in very high regard.

With the Olympics around the corner could he have his real eye on that?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's why I laughed when Rupert Murdoch said we had to pay for news limited Internet if we wanted to maintain quality journalism. If only :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly. 10 yearsish ago when Murdoch's papers sold like hotcakes was the journalism any good?

I'd rather read an insightful blog that's catered to a very specific subject/issue than a paper that's watered down for as many people as possible any day.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I haven't read the preceding 6 pages, I have my doubts about Benji playing the 15 man game, but I think he will carve it up in the Sevens. He is very active in the touch circuit, and is held in very high regard.

With the Olympics around the corner could he have his real eye on that?

I think you might have hit on a good point. Touch football. No tackling. Benji is good at it.

I doubt that Lord Gordon would have Benji in his squad as a non-tackling playmaker. But, let's wait and see.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think you might have hit on a good point. Touch football. No tackling. Benji is good at it.

I doubt that Lord Gordon would have Benji in his squad as a non-tackling playmaker. But, let's wait and see.

from my own experience I actually think tackling in 7's is far more easier than in 15's, hardly ever head on, a lot more side-on tackling which is much easier to do

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
from my own experience I actually think tackling in 7's is far more easier than in 15's, hardly ever head on, a lot more side-on tackling which is much easier to do

Tackling side on is less physical but equally hard skills-wise and an even harder in 7s because of the space.

In 7s if you don't get your tracking right, you're fucked. Your footwork in D has to be excellent.

Ever see a reasonably fast and fit forward get beaten in the midfield in rugby? That's not because of their tackling technique it's because generally their tracking is worse than the backs and it doesn't get really tested inside the 10's channel where they usually roam.

Tracking in 7s is a bloody hard skill and I'd say that's part of the reason that the ARU sees 7s as a good development tool.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Tackling side on is less physical but equally hard skills-wise and an even harder in 7s because of the space.

In 7s if you don't get your tracking right, you're fucked. Your footwork in D has to be excellent.

Ever see a reasonably fast and fit forward get beaten in the midfield in rugby? That's not because of their tackling technique it's because generally their tracking is worse than the backs and it doesn't get really tested inside the 10's channel where they usually roam.

Tracking in 7s is a bloody hard skill and I'd say that's part of the reason that the ARU sees 7s as a good development tool.

interesting opinion, id say tracking is one of the easier skills in rugby to master. guess we will have to agree to disagree

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
With the extra lik that have been posted,

Benji certainly talks like a rugby player in the footy show interveiw

And JOC (James O'Connor) certainly has the Attitude of a NRL plaeyr.

So It could work out for them both.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Benji is more suited to union than JO is to league..
xoxo
Gossip Girl

If this is going to be your thing you're late to the party, didn't that show finish last year?

interesting opinion, id say tracking is one of the easier skills in rugby to master. guess we will have to agree to disagree

We can agree to disagree.

IMO 1 on 1 tracking I think is a difficult skill but perhaps one that's less empathised now that every team is running a drift defense.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
All this talk of Benji to 7s....I have my doubts only because he is getting older/fatter/slower. Just look at his RL shape over the last few years.

Does he have the discipline to condition? Do not know. Will he be able to get fit for the Olympics when he is over 30 in 2016? 30 is a hard age to be 7s fit!

In his prime, no doubt. Now and in 3 years.....

BUT, Tietjins is a fitness magician.

The other question: if he chooses ARU, will he qualify for Australia in the Olympics- must be a citizen, not just permanent resident.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
All this talk of Benji to 7s..I have my doubts only because he is getting older/fatter/slower. Just look at his RL shape over the last few years.

Does he have the discipline to condition? Do not know. Will he be able to get fit for the Olympics when he is over 30 in 2016? 30 is a hard age to be 7s fit!

In his prime, no doubt. Now and in 3 years...

BUT, Tietjins is a fitness magician.

The other question: if he chooses ARU, will he qualify for Australia in the Olympics- must be a citizen, not just permanent resident.

like someone else had said he still plays a decent level of touch football and id imagine if he wasn't a pro footballer he'd be in the national team, don't think there'd be any problem with his fitness or conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.