• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Players like SBW only care about themselves, not the team and not the sport. I have no interest in these players. I do, however, recognise that, if anything, it will become more common, but that doesn't imply one should agree with it, or like it. I also don't believe that showing a decent amount of loyalty and making a good living are mutually exclusive.

I think this is patently untrue. I think SBW has become the ultimate professional in modern football.

By all reports the guy trains incredibly hard, applies himself fully, gets on well with his teammates and is well behaved.

You only have to look at what he has achieved in a relatively small period of time in two sports to show this.

Early in his career he did a poor thing in walking out on a contract in the NRL, but since then. it's hard to say he hasn't given his all for every team he's played for and brought success pretty much everywhere he has played. I don't believe someone could do this without being entirely committed to his team.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Agreed about SBW, in the distant past he's does some shifty things contract wise.

But, his disciplinary record is solid and he seems very popular and courteous when with fans and players.

My only qualm is he's a bit of a douche on social media, but it's all fun and games and his particular target demo love that stuff.

Classy man, manages to be both a "brand" and a good human being.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
Not sure his style of game will translate well into Union, but am happy to be proven incorrect.

The logical order of events for Benji is some time in Japan then inking deals with the Blues for Super Rugby and BOP for the domestic season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If Marshall does join the Tahs, what's the odds of him joining Sydney University in the Shute Shield? :rolleyes:

Camperdown is rather close to Leichhardt, but my bet, under the current rachime, would be Randwick

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Christopher McDonald

Peter Burge (5)
I understand your view and accept it is a valid point of view held by many.

Once players in all football codes rarely, if ever, changed clubs. As sport became more and more professional and players could make a full time living out of playing, they more and more regularly changed clubs. The public have come to accept this, and very few supporters really expect players to stay with one club for a career. Changing codes is the same principle.

There are many factors in players changing clubs or codes and money is certainly one of them, but players quite often accept slightly less to go to a strong or well managed club in whatever code or to stay with their current club/code because they are happy there.

Neither clubs or players show blind loyalty to each other anymore - once a players powers begin to decline they are often moved on against their wishes, just as players can decide to change clubs for their own reasons. It's just the reality of professional sport - much like any of us choosing to change careers or employers.

Yes, unfortunately you're correct. Thanks for your thorough reply, you raised some aspects that I hadn't considered. Ultimately the team is the only constant and in my case at least, I will look back more fondly on those players who represented my team for an extended period of time as opposed to those who made a fleeting visit.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Yes, unfortunately you're correct. Thanks for your thorough reply, you raised some aspects that I hadn't considered. Ultimately the team is the only constant and in my case at least, I will look back more fondly on those players who represented my team for an extended period of time as opposed to those who made a fleeting visit.
How is player transfer accepted in NZ?...From an outsiders point of view it seems to me that the super 15 revolving doors are constantly turning over there. Not sure why it is accepted that you can up and go every year between franchises regularly and that is accepted but you can't move codes. I note though that SBW going back to League was very easily accepted in NZ. Maybe we should learn from our neighbours.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How is player transfer accepted in NZ?.From an outsiders point of view it seems to me that the super 15 revolving doors are constantly turning over there. Not sure why it is accepted that you can up and go every year between franchises regularly and that is accepted but you can't move codes. I note though that SBW going back to League was very easily accepted in NZ. Maybe we should learn from our neighbours.

Nothing except contractual obligations is stopping players swapping franchises, or swapping codes. It is the same here as it is in New Zealand. Quite a few loig players are in our Soup teams - and there will be more.

Do not understand your point?

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Nothing except contractual obligations is stopping players swapping franchises, or swapping codes. It is the same here as it is in New Zealand. Quite a few loig players are in our Soup teams - and there will be more.

Do not understand your point?
Just seems to be better accepted over there thats all...twas a compliment:)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Possibly because loig is not a threat.

I think it's because most Kiwis (or the ones I know anyway) don't have an either/or mindset when it comes to union and league. Most of the guys I play rugby with enjoy watching league as well and LOVE S.O.O. (my bloody Facebook was frikkin chokka with '8 STR8!!' shit this morning - predominantly kiwis.....fkn QLD)

Not a lot of rugby players switch Super franchises while in their prime either. There have been some raised eyebrows and comments made under the breath about some of the Crusaders players over the years but not a huge fuss. Rico Gear was probably the biggest one that I can think of.

I know Ma'a Nonu and Piri Weepu left the Hurricanes a couple of years ago but that was driven by the coach rather than the players themselves and given how they've gone - Nonu in particular - not many fans were upset.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I thought I heard that Benji wouldn't make himself available for the Wallabies if he switched to rugby. This might be an assumption from his 'dream of playing for the ABs'. (Let's face it, which male with NZ heritage hasn't 'dreamed' of playing for the ABs.) If this is the case then I can't see him being signed by an Aust franchise or being courted by the ARU as he would have to be classed as a forgein marque player, would he not?

As to the switching codes discussion..... I have no problem with players switching codes for whatever variety of reasons the switch is made. What I do have a problem with is our national body paying a motza to an untested player in an effort to attract publicity, put bums on seats, to keep someone happy etc etc etc. Yes I am talking about Izzy.

Yep, I will put my hand up as being one of those doubters. Yep will also accept the fact that he has taken his opportunity with both hands and proved a lot of people wrong. But I still have an issue with the ARU paying him $400K before he had proved himself, & letting other young players who have provided good service to rugby whistle dixie. BUt that is a contracting issue not a debate about wether or not they should switch codes.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I thought I heard that Benji wouldn't make himself available for the Wallabies if he switched to rugby. This might be an assumption from his 'dream of playing for the ABs'. (Let's face it, which male with NZ heritage hasn't 'dreamed' of playing for the ABs.) If this is the case then I can't see him being signed by an Aust franchise or being courted by the ARU as he would have to be classed as a forgein marque player, would he not?

As to the switching codes discussion... I have no problem with players switching codes for whatever variety of reasons the switch is made. What I do have a problem with is our national body paying a motza to an untested player in an effort to attract publicity, put bums on seats, to keep someone happy etc etc etc. Yes I am talking about Izzy.

Yep, I will put my hand up as being one of those doubters. Yep will also accept the fact that he has taken his opportunity with both hands and proved a lot of people wrong. But I still have an issue with the ARU paying him $400K before he had proved himself, & letting other young players who have provided good service to rugby whistle dixie. BUt that is a contracting issue not a debate about wether or not they should switch codes.

Yeah, I also heard he wasn't going to be available for the Wallabies.

In regards to Folau - which of the young players are better than him? The reality is that there is a risk with every player you sign - will they continue to play as well as they have in the past, will they get injured, will they fit in at the club etc. Look at Auckland and Otago signing Nonu, Auckland letting Anscombe go, the Tahs releasing Beau Robinson, the Reds signing Samo, the Crusaders allowing Richie on a sabbitical......the risks in contracting are all just a part of pro sport....

Christopher McDonald

Peter Burge (5)
I think it's because most Kiwis (or the ones I know anyway) don't have an either/or mindset when it comes to union and league. Most of the guys I play rugby with enjoy watching league as well and LOVE S.O.O. (my bloody Facebook was frikkin chokka with '8 STR8!!' shit this morning - predominantly kiwis...fkn QLD)

Not a lot of rugby players switch Super franchises while in their prime either. There have been some raised eyebrows and comments made under the breath about some of the Crusaders players over the years but not a huge fuss. Rico Gear was probably the biggest one that I can think of.

I know Ma'a Nonu and Piri Weepu left the Hurricanes a couple of years ago but that was driven by the coach rather than the players themselves and given how they've gone - Nonu in particular - not many fans were upset.

I'm a New Zealander and I don't like League at all and I'm not the only one although there are certainly many that like both, predominantly in Auckland. I'm from Christchurch and there aren't many that fuss over League here at all, luckily.

It would be interesting to know how many players from the three different Super 15 countries have switched to different teams. For some reason I get the impression it is more prevalent in Australia but that may be completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.