• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of Benji Marshal to rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the australian this morning is saying rebels may be dark horse for marshall.
i hope not
ffs haven't they learnt yet

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
i hope not
I agree.

Part of Marshall's appeal is the publicity he'd bring. Would anyone in Melbourne
care if he signed? It would hardly bring more people through the turnstiles at AAMI park. A different story if he signed for the Tahs or Blues.

Hamed Beytollah

Frank Row (1)
It is clear that Benji will go to the Blues in order to make the All Blacks 7s for the Olympics. I'm not sure why more people aren't talking about this.

I also think several 15s players will make an effort to switch to 7s in order to make the highly desired Olympic team. Could you imagine Quade and Kurtley playing on the 7s team? It's going to happen...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The article that Allen is commenting that the tahs want him fills me with despair.

I just don't see the point, all I can see is guys like Foley wondering whether they made the right decision to re-sign.

I had hoped there was a change in approach at the Tahs, a concept of building a side, a concept of creating something bigger.

Instead we start looking at another non tackling NRL "star" when we need to develop some young, enthusiastic, quality backs & forwards to build depth for the future - now they may have an NRL/rugby back ground - fine.

The crazy thing is we could develop 6 or 7 young units for the money Marshall will be chasing

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The article that Allen is commenting that the Tahs want him fills me with despair.

And me. PLEASE GOD, MAKE BENJI MISS THE TAHS. Where would they put him if he came across? If (when) Beale signs we'll have too many five-eighths leaving an opportunity for Foley and Beale to be backup 12s. If anything, the only hole in the backs is cover for 13. Actually, I reckon that could be Izzy's spot long-term, just gotta work out the subtle defensive requirements.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
The media over here reported that Tiejkens had pushed for the NZRU to sign Marshall for his sevens potential. There would be quite a few handy tens to leapfrog to make it into the AB's as a ten. Carter,Cruden,Slade,Barrat. Although the Auckland Blues are in the market for a ten.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The only advantage is that Marshall would bring more support for rugby from the mungo supporters - that's the good thing.

Thankfully he won't be anywhere near Ballymore but would be happy for him to be at the Tahs or Rebels - big big personality often = problems

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Interestingly we haven't heard Cheika say anything on this, but he has been all over the Beale and Izzy signings in public. I'd like to think as the head coach he'd get the chance to veto any players he doesn't want/need and Benji Marshall would fit firmly into this category.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I saw the comments by Greg Martin on foxsports.com.au yesterday and whilst not surprised was pretty disappointed.

What a clown.

The guy shouldn't be making these sorts of comments in public and I think it also makes him a massive hypocrite.

He spends most of his time raving incessently about how Quade Cooper is the greatest player we have and how exciting he is to watch and then he comes out and completely rubbishes Marshall who plays football in a very similar style to Cooper. Considering how much money Marshall was paid in the NRL, he will absolutely be taking a pay cut to come to rugby so that is not a motivation.

Why would a commentator be saying that someone from another sport isn't welcome or wanted in rugby union? It defies belief. If someone wants to play rugby, why would you try and stop them?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have absolutely no objection with Benji Marshall going to Rugby..........

These days Qantas offer some pretty good fares to London, and if you hire a car from Heathrow it's only a 90 minute drive north to Rugby........

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Not sure if anyone saw this, but the Newscorp rags were running a Greg Martin piece about Benji being "too fat and too old" for Rugby but looked to have pulled the story immediately? Not sure if I'm imagining this or if it is because I'm running Windows Two Thousand and Shit, but would this have seriously been pulled??

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t-benji-marshall/story-fni3gpz1-1226680198432

here it is

https://soundcloud.com/triple-m-NRL/greg-martin-why-rugby-doesnt

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
i hope not

I wouldnt class Benji like JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale, his actually a fan Favorite and seems to be a pretty decent/hardworking guy. Now is his football what you need maybe , maybe not. But Im sure he would work his arse off and bring a great culture.

If he doesn't cost alot I really don't see what the Rebels have to lose ?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One area where Marshall has the opportunity to make money in rugby is under third party deals and endorsements.

Under the NRL salary cap these are pretty difficult or impossible to obtain because they get included in the cap.

As far as I know in Super Rugby, it is open slather for players to earn money from advertising and endorsements.

Status
Not open for further replies.