• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
The New Zealand Rugby Union is exploring its legal rights after a troupe imitated the All Blacks by performing a haka for a Japanese Coca-Cola commercial.

The haka also upset Maori who said the portrayal was disrespectful and want the campaign stopped.

But while Coca-Cola Japan apologised for any offence caused, it stuck to its guns saying it was an original haka and not Ka Mate.

It said the haka was created, choreographed and performed by a Japanese-based Maori cultural group.

However, the performers were dressed as All Blacks – without the Silver Fern – and the haka bore a striking resemblance to Ka Mate.

The commercial featured Japanese popstar Namie Amuro and dancing girls facing off with the group described as "a troupe of studs from Kiwiland in the traditional Maori haka dance".

NZRU spokesman Paul Dalton said it appeared no All Blacks trademarks had been infringed.

"But the NZRU remains concerned that an association with the All Blacks will have been suggested to the average Japanese consumer.

"We are currently exploring what our legal rights might be under Japanese law."

Depending on the advice, NZRU would be working with Coca-Cola to resolve the matter.

Ngati Toa spokesman Te Ariki WiNeera said the commercial was disrespectful.

The iwi was extremely unhappy with the portrayal of the haka. Though it was an original composition it alluded to the fact that the haka in the commercial was Ka Mate and the All Blacks through their performance. "That's what we find offensive," he said.

Last year the New Zealand embassy contacted Ngati Toa advising they had told producers of the commercial to make contact before using the haka, but nothing happened.

The iwi believed the company should change or remove the commercial.

Coca-Cola Japan said it engaged extensively with parties when developing the Coke Zero campaign.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt4x6wJCEG4&feature=player_embedded

Doesn't look disrespectful to me. I can't tell if the NZRU are being overly precious or cynically money-grabbing when it comes to their haka.

ETA: The quoted article came from stuff.co.nz. I thought I'd included the link but apparently I didn't.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah saw that. The haka they are being precious over, a little.

But its the image I'd be kicking up a stink over.

There's no doubt they are dressed up as the All Blacks. a bunch of meaty looking men, wearing black, doing the all blacks - clearly its meant to be the ABs. So the NZRU should go at them. Coke should know better.

Although....it would be interesting to see if the NZ Rugby League decided to go at them too. They could have a claim. for the same reason.

R

rugbywhisperer

as they tend to say -
a: build a bridge ..........
b: take a spoonfull of concrete ........

precious petals -
I wonder, is ka mate or any other haka trademarkd and are black jerseys (sans silver fern) trademarked??????

P

PhucNgo

Japanese are saying it has something to do with scientific research. :lmao:

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
NZRU since they were sponsered by Adidas have been extremely sensitive about the brand.

The use of the haka incorrectly, often offends Maori in NZ, which I can understand.

On the whole, the country is rather precious about the haka.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If we wanted to, we could all live our lives being constantly offended.

If the Japs want to sell coke with the Haka and the Russians want to figure skate as "Aborigines" then let them as long as nobody gets hurt or really ofended in an overt, purposeful way.

I thought the ads is quite cool, although the figure skating looked horrible. What the fuck were they thinking?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I almost choken to death last night. Will I need to seek legal representation too ?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
The All Blacks are a brand recognised nearly world wide. I can understand the NZRU being a bit pissed about images implying their brand being used to sell a commercial product and not seeing a cent from it.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Seriously. If you want offensive, this is it. I don't recall the Kiwis sueing the Fruity show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7nraMHsG8c

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Precious kiwis always getting upset what is it with Aboriginies & Maori's getting offened at other nations doing their traditional dances.

I thought they'd be proud that their material has been played on the world stage.

You don't see Skippies (white aussies) getting offended at other nations using the word G'day.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not denying that there's a preciousness about it, but I stand by my statement that if Coca-Cola used images based on my brand to sell their product, I'd want to see some returns if they're not my sponsor.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah if it was a small struggling brand trying to be a bit cheeky about it all, fine. But its the biggest brand in the word with a marketing budget in the 10s of billions.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Think back to old mate getting precious about his Aboriginal flag being used by Google "without permission". Same deal, different day.

Noddy said:
yeah if it was a small struggling brand trying to be a bit cheeky about it all, fine. But its the biggest brand in the word with a marketing budget in the 10s of billions.

:lmao: I can picture the board of CCA ringing NZRFU and saying "so this 'haka' thing - how much do you want for it?"

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A country, or a culture and its traditions is not a brand, so I am not sure in a legal sense what sort of a case NZ could make against Coke?

If there are two companies involved I'm sure trademarks, patents and copyrights apply. But what would be the legal pursuit in this instance. Any lawyers on this board?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NTA said:
:lmao: I can picture the board of CCA ringing NZRFU and saying "so this 'haka' thing - how much do you want for it?"

did you watch the clip? Its ambush marketing at its finest. Coke don't want to shell out to support the All Blacks, or at least pay for their images for this ad, so they dress a bunch of meatheads up in black and get them doing the haka. Who the hell do you think it is supposed to be. Its not a haka issue, from my perspective, its a All Black issue. They have every right to protect their brand. Its the best brand in world rugby and its one of the best in global sport.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Meh. Show me an original ad and I'll show you that you're a liar. The only difference is the level of "blatant" someone chooses to use. The whole advertising and marketing industry is based on it.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
MajorlyRagerly said:
NZRU since they were sponsered by Adidas have been extremely sensitive about the brand.

The use of the haka incorrectly, often offends Maori in NZ, which I can understand.

On the whole, the country is rather precious about the haka.

Oh, of course. No-one in NZ would ever stand for people messing about with a haka, now would they...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORtZ07FROY

Build a bridge, boys. Use No. 8 wire, if you want; just get the fuck over it.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Let's attack this a different way, it's not really about the haka or being precious about it (which they are, no one is disagreeing there?). If some major brand dressed a bunch of meat heads up and imitated the Wallabies to sell their product, you can bet the ARU would be mightily pissed. As would any union around the world.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I guess there is nothing legally wrong with the ad?

Have they used anyone's image, name or voice without permission?
Have they used anyone's legal trademark without permission?
Have they used any copyright material without permission?

So sorry, but yellow jerseys, black jerseys, images of big meat heads, 'war dances' etc are not the exclusive property of anyone - so anyone can use them.

If someone wants to try dressing 15 clowns in yellow to sell something I really couldn't care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.