• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What do you make of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
The NZRU tried, but failed to register the jersey and silver fern as a trademark in New Zealand, so they haven't got a leg to stand on really. It is only the name ALL BLACKS that has trademark protection. Anyone can run out in AB jerseys and do as they please, legally.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Ash said:
Let's attack this a different way, it's not really about the haka or being precious about it (which they are, no one is disagreeing there?). If some major brand dressed a bunch of meat heads up and imitated the Wallabies to sell their product, you can bet the ARU would be mightily pissed. As would any union around the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Canterbury do just that between, ooh, 2006 and 2008...?

R

rugbywhisperer

Ash said:
The All Blacks are a brand recognised nearly world wide. I can understand the NZRU being a bit pissed about images implying their brand being used to sell a commercial product and not seeing a cent from it.

Could hardly be call using the brand as the silver fern was distinctly not there - a great effort to make sure there was no misunderstanding if you ask me - justa bunch of blokes in black jerseys.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
its actually ambush marketing at its finest Lang.

Coke can get the advantage of 'aligning' with a strong brand like the all blacks without actually rewarding the All Blacks for their work done in their strong brand.

Brand identity is very important for an organisation. They spend a lot of money creating it, building it and maintaining it. Its a an asset for their organisation as much as 'goodwill' is.

Let's see how quickly coke jumps up and down if someone came out with a contour bottle with a red label. They'd be all over it.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
T78 - what is the point you are trying to make replying to my post? I'm completely lost. Typical Irish Lawyer :)

I can't blame the NZRFU really - need all the cash we can get to retain players!!

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Groucho said:
The NZRU tried, but failed to register the jersey and silver fern as a trademark in New Zealand, so they haven't got a leg to stand on really. It is only the name ALL BLACKS that has trademark protection. Anyone can run out in AB jerseys and do as they please, legally.
Sorry Groucho, but you are completely wrong. THE NZRU have had their specifc FERN trademarked since at least 1986. Prior to that the fern they used was more generic. In order to trademark it they had to design the one used by them now.
Both their fern and name are registered in multiple classifications in most countries.

What the NZRU tried to do was to regisister ANY fern on a black jersey - they abandoned that idea quite quickly.

Sure anyone can run out in an AB jersey, but the issue with this ad is one of "Passing Off" - eg Have coke made or tried to make an association with the All Blacks. Of course they have, but in Japan a court might not see it as clearly as we would in NZ because Coke could argue that the ABs are not widely known in Japan and therefore the public would not make the assocation. IN NZ or even Aus - a court would see it differently

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
MajorlyRagerly said:
T78 - what is the point you are trying to make replying to my post? I'm completely lost. Typical Irish Lawyer :)

I can't blame the NZRFU really - need all the cash we can get to retain players!!

Just seemed as neat a description of the 2006-8 Wobblies as I've yet heard. And the only real explanation for that fucking horrible Canterbury jersey. It all makes sense. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.