• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is the biggest mistake made with Australian Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I agree Sully so G&GR can expect my request in the next 48-72 hours to remove myself as a member of G&GR for leading to the downfall of Australian rugby with my poor typing/spelling skills. As a rugby keyboard warrior the Australian Rugby public deserve better!

Actually, I just tried to change it and the site wouldn't let me. Eventually had to do it through Tapatalk! As a consequence, I will resign from all moderator duties in the next 48-72 hours or a cline as I like to call it.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I suppose for me in terms of the precedent Pocock's deal sets I think it was not a good business decision. Do we really want to be setting expectations that for all our senior high profile players a the peak of their playing power that we are prepared to pay them sabbaticals to roam the world for a year at our expense. I personally think we would have been better to let Pocock go then set that dangerous precedent and spend the $750k in a year where money was tight on more worthwhile investments in grass roots.
Better precedent is to be inflexible with contracts and lose all our good players to Europe?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Could've let him go, kept Gill and put the difference into community rugby. Pocock is a great player but he's not worth what they're paying him.

Regardless the decision is still stupid if he gets injured in Japan and is out for the next year.

I'm pretty sure Gill leaving was not so much about money (though it might have been a minor contributor), and more about what was going on at the Reds at that time.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Tex and Gaffa please fucken grow up. What's done is done.
The greatest mistake is not having a backbone at sanzar level! Also Hooper as captain. Not exactly gaining new followers with that decision! Wasting money on franchises is a pretty big cock up as well.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The biggest mistake was giving JON a second innings.
He abandoned the ARC, treated juniors as expenses not as an investment, made money the sole focus of everything, then did his best to corral as much of it as he could for himself.

Whilst I think he did a good job in his first stint.Never go back, it's never the same again.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Biggest on-going mistake: failing to develop the game at grassroots outside the private school base. Ignoring bush, club and district footy and continuing to inadvertently or otherwise promote the sport's elitist profile rather than working to be more inclusive.

You forgot about promoting world peace and combatting climate change effectively.

Seriously, do you really, honestly, believe that the litany of weaknesses in our game is the result of a mistake? And if you do, how would you correct it?

Spell it out for me. I must be a bit dim.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Fair enough. I was just trying to make the point that these sorts of decisions are never simple.

Anyway, what would you do with the $750K?

Put it aside. The Rebels are going to need to be bailed out in about 10 months.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would love to see an alternate universe where an NRC was introduced FTA in 2001 after the Lions win when popularity was riding high. With a sensible financial model, how much better would that have prepared things for expansions in Perth and Melbourne.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Respectfully disagree on 2. And he's not so much better than Gill than the money they pay.
Anyhow back to poor aru decisions.
Making Hooper captain when your paying the best 7 in the country $1.2 million next year to probably play ordinarily at 8 instead of great ar 7?

He is that much better. He's the single most important player in Australian rugby and the historical results when he is in and out the team show that.

When has Pocock been ordinary at 8? He has been man of the match several times in that position.

I would have thought the $750k would pretty much fund the Shute Shield but I suppose better to let poey have that for his African back pack adventure then see that pissed up against a wall.

It's not really one or the other. Under the CBA, that money was going to the elite players one way or another.

So if we'd paid Pocock $1.15m in 2016 and 2018 rather than $750k in each of 2016-2018, what works out differently?

Do we lose someone else in 2016 or 2018 because we don't have the budget or keep someone because we can pay them more in 2017? It's pretty hard to tell.

T

TOCC

You forgot about promoting world peace and combatting climate change effectively.

Seriously, do you really, honestly, believe that the litany of weaknesses in our game is the result of a mistake? And if you do, how would you correct it?

Spell it out for me. I must be a bit dim.

It has been spelt out for you, numerous time on this forum

Reactions: dru

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
He is that much better. He's the single most important player in Australian rugby and the historical results when he is in and out the team show that.

When has Pocock been ordinary at 8? He has been man of the match several times in that position.

I'm glad to hear you'll also be barracking for QC (Quade Cooper) to be back in the side given the statistics with and without quade?

He played an awesome 7's game with 8 on his back. If you think hes actually a great 8 I'd be shocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.