• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is with the locations for domestic Rugby Championship games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Test match at gold coast is taking the piss, it's an hour away from brisbane which is already getting two matches, one of them against the blackness. Game would have been perfect for AAMI Park.

I've never understood why we play matches in areas where their will be more away support. Defies all logic of a 'Home Match'

T

TOCC

Test match at gold coast is taking the piss, it's an hour away from brisbane which is already getting two matches, one of them against the blackness. Game would have been perfect for AAMI Park.

I've never understood why we play matches in areas where their will be more away support. Defies all logic of a 'Home Match'

No, Gold Coast and SEQ deserve this game over Melbourne.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
good contribution to the thread, well done!

Thanks, I thought I might have to explain that there's no point investing in growing the game at Gold Coast - since it's a desolate, depressing wasteland full of vacuous fools, but I'm glad you grasped that implied message without me having to explain it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thanks, I thought I might have to explain that there's no point investing in growing the game at Gold Coast - since it's a desolate, depressing wasteland full of vacuous fools, but I'm glad you grasped that implied message without me having to explain it.

Well, the Gold Coast airport is the only one in Australia I'm aware of that has a titty bar.......

So, it has something going for it.......

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Gold Coast is the place where sport goes to die. They have a fantastic record of trashing Gold Coast United, the Australian Sevens and soon the Titans (after all their previous incarnations were killed off).

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
No, Gold Coast and SEQ deserve this game over Melbourne.

SEQ? might as well call it greater Brisbane.

If people on the Gold Coast and such are passionate about rugby then they'd make the 1 hour journey to Brisbane much like the people of Geelong or Gosford do to Melbourne and Sydney respectively. I'd have copped the game at Ballymore or Adelaide before Gold Coast.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Have you also considered that having the game at the Gold Coast is to allow those in the Northern Rivers of NSW a chance too get to a game. The rugby comp is strong and Robina is just over an hour from Lismore, Alstonville and Ballina. Just over two from the Clarence and three from Coffs Harbour.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

If people on the Gold Coast and such are passionate about rugby then they'd make the 1 hour journey to Brisbane much like the people of Geelong or Gosford do to Melbourne and Sydney respectively. I'd have copped the game at Ballymore or Adelaide before Gold Coast.

Well I'm going to & looking forward to this game and I'm passionate enough to go to the Coast to watch it! Ballymore is a relic & can't even handle Super games anymore let alone an international. I'm looking forward to being able to see some Rugby in a different stadium at reasonable prices. Bledisloe is just a giant cash grab these days and ordinary folk just can't afford the ticket prices, what with mass government sackings, uncertainty in the building industry, stockmarkets all over the place, People are tightening their belts &$85 for a ticket in the nosebleed section is just too much .It will still be a sellout though & so will the GC test. I don't see how you can call on Melbourne hosting two tests in a year when the turnout to lasts weeks test was so dismal. And why do you think the Argies will have more support that us ? As far as I know there isn't a large expat Argie population anywhere in Australia.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Thanks guys. I LIVE ON THE GOLD COAST.
Btw we go to every super game and most tests. It's great to go to a local test
The sevens is great. Loved it.

Sent using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think TSS might have produced a few Wallabies/Reds players over the years too so it's not as if the Gold Coast is a non-rugby area.

It's a good sized stadium for the match and you can get a seat near halfway for $75. Plus JO'N gets a paid week away in Spring at the beach!

kronic

John Solomon (38)
I don't see how you can call on Melbourne hosting two tests in a year when the turnout to lasts weeks test was so dismal. And why do you think the Argies will have more support that us ? As far as I know there isn't a large expat Argie population anywhere in Australia.
Based on what MT has said, it doesn't look like his calling on us to get two tests. While it was poor in comparison to say the Brisbane & today's test, keep in mind there was virtually no advertisement from the ARU. Etihad is not a hit with any footy code. The ARU/VIC Major events need to stop putting games there.

What's Canberra's weather like in September? Could of played another arvo game there, looking at it again.

T

TOCC

Why should Melbourne get it, already a average crowd turned up to watch the 6 Nation Champions play... Gold Coast produces many wallabies and also serves Northern NSW...

Good choice

T

TOCC

Please make an attempt to at least put forward an constructive argument or discussion if you are going to objectively criticism a whole population. Sly remarks like what you have posted are better suited to other forums.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Why should Melbourne get it, already a average crowd turned up to watch the 6 Nation Champions play. Gold Coast produces many wallabies and also serves Northern NSW.

Good choice
People continue to mention an average crowd, what is an acceptable crowd figure? 40k?

We had 44k in Brisbane, 33k in Melbourne and 42k in Sydney. So 9k less, give or take than Sydney.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, Canberra should certainly be an option for staging a test in September. Hopefully they'll get their chance next year, they deserve some international rugby.

If Canberra gets a game it should only be an afternoon Test or even a midday Test.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Sorry to break the bad news, but you guys don't get anything in the foreseeable future. 2017 isn't available yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.