• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is wrong with the Tahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Unless we know it was the wrong choice -- and at this point it's hard to say otherwise -- in which case they should just bite the bullet and then drive a wheelbarrow of cash to Cheika's house.

Cheika rejected the job last time. So process wise they asked at least some right questions but didn't make sure to get the right answers.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I am also hesitant to paint Cheika as the great hope of Australian coaching.

Wherever he goes he is built up as some sort of mythical coaching messiah, who we should pay millions for the pleasure of having. Look I would love to have him but he should not be a lay down misere for the job.

There are a few good coaches on the Sydney club scene who are worthy of having thier names thrown in the hat- guys like Todd Louden and Tim Lane. Again I'm not saying they should get the job but both have pretty good pedigrees.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I was being flippant. I'd like to see a transparent and wide search for a new coach. Whether its Cheika or whoever.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
This season has been incredibly frustrating, but I also think that sacking Foley would be a poor move.

There have been so many close games this season and I think the biggest thing we need to look at is how to win those close games. In past season this was probably something the Tahs were good at. This season we keep losing the close ones (except against the Sharks).

This has got to come down to several things. Tactics in the second half when we are ahead. Tactics when it is close and we are behind. On field leadership. Use of replacements.

I think sacking a coach after one season is a kneejerk reaction and won't fix anything. We employed him in the first place because we had confidence in his ability. Maybe what we need to tweak are the tactics employed.

Our defence needs to be majorly looked at. We've gone from having one of the best defences in the competition to one of the worst. We are letting in far too many soft tries.
Completely agree, Braveheart. I think it's too easy to say Tahs need a clean out. There have been too many little things going against us this year all which amount to us losing the last 5 games. And I can't say that we really deserved to win any of them particularly, so it's not an offer of excuses. Reading Grumbles today he once again blames the board without any rational explanation. It's that sort of criticism gives me the shits.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I am also hesitant to paint Cheika as the great hope of Australian coaching.

Wherever he goes he is built up as some sort of mythical coaching messiah, who we should pay millions for the pleasure of having. Look I would love to have him but he should not be a lay down misere for the job.

There are a few good coaches on the Sydney club scene who are worthy of having thier names thrown in the hat- guys like Todd Louden and Tim Lane. Again I'm not saying they should get the job but both have pretty good pedigrees.

Agree completely, I am of the mind of giving foley another season, the guy has one a pretty extensive apprenticeship and deserves the opportunity to follow through a little before getting the boot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We are currently on 30 competition points.

Things could easily be very different.

We lost to the Reds by 4 in a game we threw away (+3)
Lost to Highlanders by a point. Missed a simple conversion plus a penalty fell short near the end. (+3)
Lost to the Force by a point after playing horrendously (+3)
Lost to the Bulls by three points after stuffing up a scrum late in the game costing us a win (+3)
Lost to the Cheetahs by a point in a game we should have easily won (+3).

There were also the close games against the Crusaders and the Stormers that in better years we could have potentially snatched.

If we had made smarter decisions at key times in matches and had better on field leadership, we could be 15 points better and equal on points with the Brumbies. If that was the case then none of this baying for blood would be happening. It is mostly for this reason that I think it would be a mistake to axe coaching staff which would really just be to appease the press and Inside Shoulder (or Greg Growden as I believe he is otherwise known).

I think we have the players to be really competitive in 2013. I think there is plenty to be fixed, but I think it can be done with the people we have at the organisation. If 2013 is a terrible season, then make some big decisions. There has been a lot of change in 2012 with a change in coach and our long time captain retiring and the loss of our defensive coach. Adapting to that change has obviously proven to be far more difficult than expected.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought the fearless predictions for a wonderful 2012 made in November 2011 were early even by NSW standards.....May 2012 for 2013 a new record even for an Ostrich.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where did I say that I expected 2013 to be a wonderful season?

All I said was that I think we have the playing roster to do well.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think we have to say, if the Tahs finish 10th this season then we judge them going into next year as the tenth best team, with low expectations will come much happier fans

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Agree completely, I am of the mind of giving foley another season, the guy has one a pretty extensive apprenticeship and deserves the opportunity to follow through a little before getting the boot.
This is the bit where I absolutely disagree with you.
This is his fourth year in a very senior position on the coaching staff. many have said he was the defacto coach last year. It has been said by many that the Forwards dominated game plan by the tahs over the past few years was as a result of Foley's dominating personality within the coaching panel.
Hickey was a consensus leader. The squad Foley is leading is the squad that he has had major input into it's formation.I doubt there is any player who is on a contract signed before Foley arrived at the Tahs.
It cannot be said that he inherited a squad of players he did not want.He should live or die on their results.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
This is the bit where I absolutely disagree with you.
This is his fourth year in a very senior position on the coaching staff. many have said he was the defacto coach last year. It has been said by many that the Forwards dominated game plan by the tahs over the past few years was as a result of Foley's dominating personality within the coaching panel.
Hickey was a consensus leader. The squad Foley is leading is the squad that he has had major input into it's formation.I doubt there is any player who is on a contract signed before Foley arrived at the Tahs.
It cannot be said that he inherited a squad of players he did not want.He should live or die on their results.

Is there any actual article or back up for people saying he was "defacto coach" or has a "dominating personality" I have only ever heard it on here from a couple of people.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Is there any actual article or back up for people saying he was "defacto coach" or has a "dominating personality" I have only ever heard it on here from a couple of people.
hang on. you have posted on here a couple of times that Foley only hung around the tahs cos he was promised the big gig! you don't think that implies buy in from him when recruiting, and a say in the team tactics?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
hang on. you have posted on here a couple of times that Foley only hung around the tahs cos he was promised the big gig! you don't think that implies buy in from him when recruiting, and a say in the team tactics?

It does to an extent, sure. But your answer in no way answers my question at all.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is there space at Exeter for Greg Mumm?

He looks like a good sacrificial lamb.

If we're going to pick the attack coach, doing so after only our third four try performance of the season seems like poor timing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think sacking a coach after one season is a kneejerk reaction and won't fix anything. We employed him in the first place because we had confidence in his ability. Maybe what we need to tweak are the tactics employed.
Agree, sack the tactician and keep the coach....oh wait who is in charge of tactics?
They took a punt that he could do the big job based on his performance in the assistant role.That was a reasonable assumption.
Based on his actual performance this year, it is not a reasonable assumption that he can do a good job next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.