• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where Are They Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Funny that both Sydney Grammar and St George folder the year after winning the premiership.

I would be interested if anybody is in the know, are Hornsby and Campbeltown happy with their decisions to leave the subbies comp?

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Funny that both Sydney Grammar and St George folder the year after winning the premiership.

I would be interested if anybody is in the know, are Hornsby and Campbeltown happy with their decisions to leave the subbies comp?

Just from a quick look at the Illawarra and Central Coast rugby sites, both teams couldn't be too thrilled with their 2017. Both are well out of the race for semis in ALL grades. But then again, winning isn't everything...

Ozzie Bob

Charlie Fox (21)
Its quite funny, I checked the central coast tables and drew the same conclusion.

Just from a quick look at the Illawarra and Central Coast rugby sites, both teams couldn't be too thrilled with their 2017. Both are well out of the race for semis in ALL grades. But then again, winning isn't everything.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Other clubs to add to the list - ICMS (couple of seasons in Div 6), MacArthur (1 year in Halligans then 1 in Div 6), Seaforth (as far as I know only spent a few years in Div 6), Sydney Grammar (gone soon after winning a premiership, not sure how many years they were around), Clovelly (died off after about 10-12 years in Div 6), Liverpool (gone after 1 year in Div 6, from memory due to a shocking discipline record). And that's just in my time around Div 5/6 since 2011.

Macarthur discovered div 6 was tougher than they'd anticipated.

Their last game remains a 70 zip flogging form engadine.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
I was looking at the history of div 6 a couple of years ago, many of the clubs who'd won it didn't exist any more.

I understand sydney grammar becames the dukes, after merging with someone else.

Correct?

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
I was looking at the history of div 6 a couple of years ago, many of the clubs who'd won it didn't exist any more.

I understand sydney grammar becames the dukes, after merging with someone else.

Correct?

Incorrect.

Dukes were formed from multiple avenues. The main one being a bunch of mates from Oatley 3rds/4ths and a few Matraville league players as well as some players new to the game.

Initially approached the Quins to see if they wanted the Dukes to act as their 3rd grade (as the Quins were in Div 5 at the time) but were rejected by the powers that be at Waterloo Oval.

Formed their own club as a standalone and have been in the comp since 2011.

Grammar were part of the competition until 2013/14 or so and an attempt was made to merge the SGOBs with the Dukes but barely anything came of it except for a set of jerseys.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We, Lane Cove with an old fashioned cast steel and wire fence, made the semi's and knocked out the higher placed Oakhill in the minor semi then went onto the final to be defeated by Bankstown.

In 2007? Hmm.

Seem to remember 2007 being Rouse Hill's inaugural season - faced Bankstown in both GFs (after beating Bankstown in both at Wills).

A hot day at Mac Uni, from memory. Won Jeffrey, lost Noice.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In 2007? Hmm.

Seem to remember 2007 being Rouse Hill's inaugural season - faced Bankstown in both GFs (after beating Bankstown in both at Wills).

A hot day at Mac Uni, from memory. Won Jeffrey, lost Noice.

I reckon you guys are both right :)

There was a Final and a Grand Final.

2007 Div 5 NSWSRU.jpg

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Right "Final" being the second week, not the final final :)

Gotta give credit to some of those other clubs. Without knowing details, there were a few players getting paid at Rouse Hill the first couple of years, and it showed. The club's first loss in First Grade came in the 2008 GF.

Bernie

Allen Oxlade (6)
I do recall a backrower who played in the first few years of Rouse Hill being very, very good. Best lineout jumper i've ever seen. Can't recall his name but do recall being told he played professionally in France.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Just from a quick look at the Illawarra and Central Coast rugby sites, both teams couldn't be too thrilled with their 2017. Both are well out of the race for semis in ALL grades. But then again, winning isn't everything.

I notice Illawarra just announced that the comp will be amateur from 2018.

Gonna put some noses out of joint down there.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I notice Illawarra just announced that the comp will be amateur from 2018.

Gonna put some noses out of joint down there.

Its a question of how much the association thinks money is killing the comp. Subbies recognised it in First Division, and when clubs like Brothers and Balmain were wrecking shit on their way up the mountain.

Will be interesting to see if Central Coast go the same way.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Its a question of how much the association thinks money is killing the comp. Subbies recognised it in First Division, and when clubs like Brothers and Balmain were wrecking shit on their way up the mountain.

Will be interesting to see if Central Coast go the same way.

I can assure you it is killing the comp, one club down there pick the eyes out of the other clubs.

And when their 1st grade have a bye they'll run their blokes(massive dudes) in 3rds for a gallop.

Little clubs get slowly killed off.

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
And plenty of players good enough, don't play rep football because they're getting paid per game down there.

It just depends how many guys get picked off by league.

Numbers might be hurt initially, but the comp should even out in the long run.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We started with 14 blokes. Then we were down to 12 in pretty short order during the first half as one got taken out by a high shot (yellow card was fair) and then my VP popped a groin.

From 33-nil at halftime, to 92-nil at fulltime.

Really not sure how much of the lack of commitment I can take.

Mangoman

Allen Oxlade (6)
We started with 14 blokes. Then we were down to 12 in pretty short order during the first half as one got taken out by a high shot (yellow card was fair) and then my VP popped a groin.

From 33-nil at halftime, to 92-nil at fulltime.

Really not sure how much of the lack of commitment I can take.

Rough go mate. Really feel for you after all the BS at the end of last year and bleeding into this year. Sadly not much you can do to make people turn up. Pain in the ass that the Dundas guys didn't choose to join you guys as opposed to recreating the Vikings...

If things turn for the worst mate, the Dukes are more than happy to accommodate you and your guys to play of a weekend come next year. Fingers crossed it doesn't come to that, would want to see you guys playing Div 5 against us if anything...

Feel free to hit us up if you need a helping hand with anything

Nath

Bill Watson (15)
Interesting stuff. Bring back Matraville! There was nothing scarier than playing at Matto high opposite Long Bay jail.

Never forget seeing matraville for the first time, and thinking 'they're massive dudes' and then when we went to have the lineout none of the big dudes were in it, they were all in the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.