• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for quality Rugby journalism???

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
GAGR Merchandise Suggestion:

T-Shirts with:

"I'm who Growden was talking about"
"I am Radio"
"I'm the Wizard, want to see my sleeve?"

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Really I find it annoying that seemingly all there is to write about rugby in this country involves silly little rumours.

Growden writes a rugby gossip column.

What the farque? Hello? How about some RUGBY NEWS?

Oh and to get back to the original question, the answer is "At the local Pieface franchise or similar". :)

W

What2040

Trouble is that all journos have to put their own views in an article otherwise the article would be as boring as batshit.

As is always, the views of the writer often don't meet with that of all readers. I suppose that the views of the unwashed masses are often influenced by the views expressed in a newspaper

Case in point is Green and Gold. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions etc etc, however wrong if they conflict with mine.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
In answer to the original question, for quality sports journalism one can always turn to the twitter feed of renowned and award winning rugby journalist (as he likes to remind everyone who doubts him) Stephen Jones.

https://twitter.com/stephenjones9

Currently he is on the peak of his form, coming up with such gems as:

# "Great news for NZs Olympic non-performance. They get half a bronze medal in the cycling."

# "sorry , we are out to the Twerp Brothers from the land of athletic crap" (sic - I think)

Not content to rest on his epic headline writing skills he also shows his witty comebacks:

# "please re assure us that you don't look like your picture

His whole feed reminds one of a rather unsophisticated and childish troll, desperate for attention. Admittedly, he is very successful at getting people to look at him.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Paul; Cully continues to maintain high standards. He is something from today's offering:

There is a portion of Wallabies fans who hold a genuine dislike for McCaw and his methods - an ardent bunch who witnessed his tussle with Quade Cooper in Brisbane last year but saw only McCaw attacking Cooper's unprotected knee with his head.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/wallabies-bledisloe-mission-to-show-mccaw-his-powers-have-been-bettered-20120809-23wzk.html#ixzz235U3ke8V

dave

Stan Wickham (3)
Paul; Cully continues to maintain high standards. He is something from today's offering:
Good call. His articles are normally balanced, reasonably comprehensive and well written. What's he doing working for SMH?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm hoping that the next time Today Tonight or A Current Affair does a "What is Australia's Best Frozen Meat Pie" segment (I think they have these a couple of times a year), they get Grumbles on as an expert judge.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

Culley does great work - he's also a good guy on twitter. He's just recently re-located back to NZ

IMO though, that piece was a dressed up "Richie's choice bro"

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Greg Growden is leaving the SMH on October 12.

Dark days for the forum lie ahead. We need to find another lightning rod fast.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
He is also leaving Fairfax. Really only leaves Georgina Robinson in the Herald rugby stable.