• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It might be a factor but i don't think it's a significant influence, even when the Reds had their highest crowds during the 2011 period, the Broncos were also one of the best in the comp.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not across what would need to likely be 3 divisions of national club competition.

If there were such interest then I like to think that it would require a similar approach to that of MLR in the States. Establish a strict criteria and welcome bids from clubs/interested parties to enter EOIs. MLR uses a licence fee ($10m USD) and provision of 3-5 years of operating capital ($15m USD minimum). The licence fee goes toward covering expenses of the league office plus travel etc.

If they can raise the capital and meet the criteria teams enter. If not then unfortunately there has to be the haves and have nots and those that cannot will be the have nots. They could still play in their traditional clubs. AS the teams in the national comp will need somewhere for the reserve teams to play. It's the only way I can see it happening.

Maybe something like the FA Cup in English (soccer) and Hockey, basically any team can enter, and then play against your local teams to progress then the winner there plays against the teams nationally. We did well in Hockey in the UK and had a bus trip up from Surry to Manchester were we hammered 23 - zip by one of the top teams in the country. We had snuck through and knocked off some of the top division teams us being from Surrey 3rd grade it was alot of fun.

Then if you do that, and you have these teams play off through the year to get to the big national final of usually the top teams in the country. Way more feasible then trying to organise a ongoing comp with byes and everything. You keep winning you get to the final, you lose your out.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It might be a factor but i don't think it's a significant influence, even when the Reds had their highest crowds during the 2011 period, the Broncos were also one of the best in the comp.

For sure the answer is being a winning team, but Broncos etc struggling would usually help

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I don't think you can do this in rugby. The size and skill discrepancy creates a safety issue pretty quickly.

The only way I could see that happening is if it were a mix of Clubs and rep squads. So instead of Knox Old Boys playing Warringah it could be NSW/Sydney Suburban vs Warringah. Or Penrith vs the Illawarra. But it would still be limited to purely the semi-pro/amateur levels as there's no way I'd want to see a club side face off against a Super Rugby squad. Bloodbath.

But as I said, it may be more workable mixing the Premier clubs and rep set ups. Could set it up into four regions to start. NSW, ACT/SNSW and Vic, Central (SA Falcons and Darwin Mozzies)/Perth and Qld.

Aim for 16 teams a piece. Straight knockout competition. The respective regional champions play in the National finals.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Do the Pro 14 teams play in it?

I not sure exactly how it works, I do know there is a comp where the lower teams play the better ones. I would of seen one of them a couple of years ago if I hadn't broken my ankle.:mad:
I not sure if pro 14, but tend to suspect were maybe equivalent it was more say subbies to say Shute Shield/Hospital cup range. I may investigate, just to answer quetion in own brain. But you right, you couldn't involve super clubs in it.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I don't think you can do this in rugby. The size and skill discrepancy creates a safety issue pretty quickly.

Arrrhhhh yes, you are right, wouldnt be nice having a subby scrumed into the ground.

but maybe you could limit it to the first/2nd division teams in each state city/country teams..

EDIT: I just think it has more legs then trying to merge sydney/brisbane/canberra teams into some kinda weekend warrior comp where they need to travel a fair distance each weekend, and work during the week. I dont think most people could commiit to it without being paid to do it.

FA Cup style could mean you are really just in your area to start with then maybe if your good enough you can get to travel one or two weekends.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
logistic costs are the biggest issue, Wales is barely bigger then Greater Sydney, teams can bus it on the day of the match from their home ground. A FA style cup would require a squad of 35 flying in and out, potentially staying overnight as well. $14,000 just for each team to fly interstate.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
You’re going to use the top of the table clash as a metric for super rugby AU as a whole?

I would compare it to a top of the table clash pre Super AU, but I'm struggling to find any examples of two Australian teams being at the top of the table at the same time.

People will watch rugby if Australian teams are winning every week, rather than once in a blue moon.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would compare it to a top of the table clash pre Super AU, but I'm struggling to find any examples of two Australian teams being at the top of the table at the same time.

People will watch rugby if Australian teams are winning every week, rather than once in a blue moon.

For quite a while Brumbies been the only performing oz super rugby franchise now we have 2 quality rugby franchises that provide great derby clashes. They have set the bar of where Rebels, Force and Tahs need to get to.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Do the Pro 14 teams play in it?
They don't.

Nowadays it's called the Specsavers Cup. The top tier knockout bracket (i.e. for the cup) is open to their top level clubs ....... maybe 26 or so(?) in Wales.

Back in the amateur days, when it was the Schweppes Cup(?), village teams might've got a shot at it, but time has moved on.

As per BH, due to safety reasons, those teams don't compete with proper semi-pro/pro sides anymore.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
logistic costs are the biggest issue, Wales is barely bigger then Greater Sydney, teams can bus it on the day of the match from their home ground. A FA style cup would require a squad of 35 flying in and out, potentially staying overnight as well. $14,000 just for each team to fly interstate.

Which is why you try to limit the distances by splitting the country into regions. Like something similar to how I suggested above. Not perfect but you could cut a lot of the cost of the travel down.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A lot of rugby is already regional so would there be much attraction at the early stage if it's just a knockout competition against the teams you already play? Lots of those competitions already include reasonable travel distances.

E.g. Central West NSW Rugby which is quite strong already involves travel times of up to 2.5 hours between games.

It would probably make more sense to get the winners of each of these comps into the knockout competition but then the start date is probably too late in the season.

Scheduling games among the normal season is also difficult. It's difficult to slot in an extra game during the week both due to recovery times and work/travel.

Even doing a few interstate games at the end would be very costly. If RA was funding it I'd suggest that the money would be far more beneficial for rugby if the teams were just given direct grants rather than flying them interstate for a single game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How often does the Central West play say Penrith. Or the Two Blues? It won't be a case of them playing another country region more than an opportunity to play one Sydney clubs.

And for those kind of games I'd actually give them the benefit of hosting. If thought out there wouldn't be any interstate travel before the final stages.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

Yep adam, I wasn't suggesting it good idea , just from what I knew Wales had some kind of thing like it. But soccer have it in Aus , and not sure how they get around it, think mainly the Qld teams knock each other out first. I would add soccer is a lot easier to do it than rugby as you can play extra games midweek (when Aus seem to have theirs) and not have the physical damage of backing up on weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.