• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
holy shit, might have to give this place a wiiiide berth on Monday, things are about to get medieval around here.

gravytrain.gif

The ARU Funmobile conduct a friendly drive-by meet-and-greet in the boardroom.

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
At least you've seen the annoucement about the announcement.;)
Telling us there will be an announcement. And then announcing another announcement to confirm the details of the first announcement that was announced in today's announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Posts here... Its time to speak more positivily about australian players... Penty of good talent require better coaches...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I really think it is past time for NZ fans to cease waffling on about how hard the NZ derbies are and how the teams over there kill themselves whenever they play. Rugby is a hard contact sport and injuries and sore spots happen in all games.

I really don't think their derbies are intrinsically harder than most of the Aus or SAFFA derbies. In fact, because of the higher skill levels on display in NZ, and therefore the greater emphasis on open backline play, I wouldn't be surprised if the impact of the collisions is on the whole less than those in our or the SA derbies.

B

BLR

I really think it is past time for NZ fans to cease waffling on about how hard the NZ derbies are and how the teams over there kill themselves whenever they play.

I can see it being hard actually, I mean, if all props are boring in during scrums how else will a competitive advantage be gained?

EDIT: And how can you have a ruck if all players are holding each other back off the ball?

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If there isn't enough talent to go round how come the smallest province keeps beating the 2 largest with players the Reds and Tahs can't identify?
The players aren't the problem.

Often makes me wonder if the Brumbies should have western Sydney within their provincial borders rather than the Waratahs. What sort of talent identification/development would they able to perform in the area?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Often makes me wonder if the Brumbies should have western Sydney within their provincial borders rather than the Waratahs. What sort of talent identification/development would they able to perform in the area?
Exactly what I was thinking.
But QLD probably need the same approach.
IMO, there is the kernel of our real issue with competitiveness lurking in this idea.
I'm afraid it's not just in the identification of talent but in the realisation of its potential.
How is it that the Brumbies are the most successful franchise in oz and despite the lost players recently are still on top?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm hearing no cut here
This post seems to have been overshadowed by the announcement about the announcement that it immediately preceded.

Are you saying that just before they made that announcement you heard that there won't be a cut of an Australian team?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
From Chris Dutton in the Crimes:

… Either way the Brumbies kicked into gear in the best possible way for their 10th consecutive Australian derby win, beating the Queensland Reds 43-10.

It extended the Brumbies' win at the top of the Australian conference, despite the club rebuilding this year after losing some of the game's biggest names.

It also added another reminder to SANZAAR and the ARU that the Brumbies should never have even been mentioned in the speculation of which Australian team was facing the axe if Super Rugby cuts teams.

It's understood SANZAAR bosses will detail their vision for the future on Sunday night but the changes won't involve cutting any teams. …​
So if Dutto is right, it could be something like 3 x 6.

But who knows …

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Telling us there will be an announcement. And then announcing another announcement to confirm the details of the first announcement that was announced in today's announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's a bit like an Abbott and Costello sketch.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I think there are two issues with super rugby atm:
1.the Australian skill level needs to improve which is a coaching issue
2.each franchise needs to be financially sustainable - with this a financial model could come from the ARU ($14m spent in their corporate ) which could be the framework for each franchise with the expectation that the expenses over and above the $5.9 to each franchise are paid for out of sponsorships, memberships and match day operations and if these don't eventuate, then the off field staff is reduced accordingly - the budget must balance.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
NOTE TO BILL PULVER.

We, the fee-paying Australian rugby supporters, DO NOT WANT AN AUSTRALIAN FRANCHISE CULLED. If there MUST be any culling the Kings and Sunwolves are first to go. Have the courage to tell the Saffers the rugby world can't solve their social and other problems, and don't be seduced by the lure of timeslots with the Sunwolves. We're SANZAAR, our rugby futures come before Japan's; tell the Japanese to develop their own top level competition.

IF an Australian franchise gets the chop I, and a lot of other Australian supporters, will be mightily displeased. Our displeasure will make itself known at future rugby events. Or unknown.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I was going to post yesterday that I couldn't imagine the Brumbies would be cut, and that I thought it was a sign that the Force had kicked off the Own The Force campaign again, and that the Rebels had signed Henry Hutchison for 2018.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought the reason that NZ teams wanted to play SA teams was to get more hard matches???

You really have no idea do you QH, the reason that I always thought NZ thought it important to play SA was to play the different style of rugby, as I believe it is for Aus rugby to play them and NZ teams! Anyway we will hear tonight what is happening, and then we will be able to stop worrying about it! Really I know that whatever decision is made whether it cutting teams, conferences etc etc, I will still be watching and supporting the game!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
So after all of this drama and suspense I wouldn't be at all surprised if they end up just tinkering with the playoffs. As in remove the wildcards system and just rank the five non-conference winners strictly by competition points.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
You really have no idea do you QH, the reason that I always thought NZ thought it important to play SA was to play the different style of rugby, as I believe it is for Aus rugby to play them and NZ teams! Anyway we will hear tonight what is happening, and then we will be able to stop worrying about it! Really I know that whatever decision is made whether it cutting teams, conferences etc etc, I will still be watching and supporting the game!

As will all true rugby people.

Status
Not open for further replies.