• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
if they do decide to cut an Australian franchise and name them today, what a mess. Absolutely a self fulfilling prophecy. How do the team and players continue under those circumstances. whatever happens it will remain a clusterfuck. i suspect the status quo will remain till 2020, by which time one or several of the franchises may have imploded anyway.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I would like to see like a premier league style comp for rugby.

The say top 10 clubs around australia play in a "premier league" with all the clubs fitting in below in semi professional to amateurs.

Then the top 4 or so run up against the top clubs from the bartercard nz comp and whatever the SA comp is in a champions league style thing.

But have fair dinkum proper clubs not funny bugger merger style things they are doing in the championship.

Have the woodies, gordon, norths, uni, randwick etc... imo these clubs have a better brand then the NRC and a competitive brand with the super franchises.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Have the woodies, gordon, norths, uni, randwick etc. imo these clubs have a better brand then the NRC and a competitive brand with the super franchises.

This would be regressive and constrict the game to established Rugby areas. Sydney-centric, etc.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
If they do go back to a 3x5 conference model, then it probably shows they are continuing to put all their hope in Super Rugby as it is. This might work for the other SANZAAR members, but not very well for Oz. It keeps us alive, but continues to kill us at the same time. But maybe that's as good as it gets for rugby in Oz.

I just feel like Australian rugby fans are being kept alive only to be continually tortured. I feel like many fans have already opted to be put out of their misery by walking away.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gee there's a lot of ill-informed and spiteful commentary here.

When I flew long-haul for business, I flew business class.

Are people really suggesting that the CEO of the ARU should fly cattle class, for 22 hours, and then waltz into a crucial meeting?

Have any of you ever occupied a senior role that involved a lot of travel?

And as for JON pissing the RWC windfall up against a wall, could we please have some facts?

One fact that is a real fact is that some investment decisions that were taken about the money turned out poorly. That does happen, in the best regulated organisations.

Get a grip, chaps.
The point is yes under Jon so bad investment decisions were made so for him to be publicly claiming to have the answers is bit rich. Jon criticism perfectly justified.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
But in another article the Cheetahs boss has stated that they're safe, and he's receiving information that another SA team and an Aus team will be cut..

I'll wait until something is confirmed.

16 teams? With the Japan and Argies still in the mix doesn't make much sense to me o_O .. how does that work ...

Its not be more detailed fix the bigger issues

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
This would be regressive and constrict the game to established Rugby areas. Sydney-centric, etc.

The NRL is sydney centric
The AFL is melbourne centric
The premier league, I imagine is manchester / london centric.

How many fans of a super rugby franchise are there that would not support there local (which ever clubs they feel a connection to) club.

Converserly, I imagine there are many more club rugby fans whom do not remain a fan of their super side.

Melbourne, Canberra and Perth would still all run sides, they just dont need to fly to NZ / SA all the time.

It probably isnt the right solution.. but just throwing it out there as the current format and cost structure seems to be copping a lot of criticism.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
The point is yes under Jon so bad investment decisions were made so for him to be publicly claiming to have the answers is bit rich. Jon criticism perfectly justified.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
I actually think the worst part is claiming he would never have bowed to the sixth SA side, despite them being added during the time he should have been CEO had he not quit early. He actually had the opportunity to be involved in a decision he is now publicly shitcanning, but chose not to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
The NRL is sydney centric
The AFL is melbourne centric
The premier league, I imagine is manchester / london centric.

How many fans of a super rugby franchise are there that would not support there local (which ever clubs they feel a connection to) club.

Converserly, I imagine there are many more club rugby fans whom do not remain a fan of their super side.

Melbourne, Canberra and Perth would still all run sides, they just dont need to fly to NZ / SA all the time.

It probably isnt the right solution.. but just throwing it out there as the current format and cost structure seems to be copping a lot of criticism.

Parallels with NRL and AFL may be applicable but we need to stop attempting to find a relationship with the EPL. English people love football. I'd wager the tier 2/Championship comp (which has 24 teams for right across the country, not just London/Manchester) has a better fan turnout than both AFL and NRL.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sorry if I have missed it but what is the structure of a 16 team comp?

Just a pure and simple play 15 games against the rest of the comp, alternating home and away each year?

Still only potentially 7 games a year for some teams.

15 weeks of Super rugby, plus three weeks of finals, starting first weekend in March means it's all over by the end of June, ready for the July internationals.

NRC becomes pretty damn crucial from there doesn't it? And where does club fit in?

Perhaps we should aim for the club season to go to mid August and all those non-test players go back to club to give that a real profile leading into their finals, and then on to NRC from there-ish.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Gee there's a lot of ill-informed and spiteful commentary here.

When I flew long-haul for business, I flew business class.

Are people really suggesting that the CEO of the ARU should fly cattle class, for 22 hours, and then waltz into a crucial meeting?

Have any of you ever occupied a senior role that involved a lot of travel?

And as for JON pissing the RWC windfall up against a wall, could we please have some facts?

One fact that is a real fact is that some investment decisions that were taken about the money turned out poorly. That does happen, in the best regulated organisations.

Get a grip, chaps.

No, we're suggsting that if you're going to take the perks of office you need to do a better job.

Re JON - please tell me what we have to show for the $13m RWC profit. What long term rugby infrastructure was put into place with this money? Or was it blown on salaries?

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
No, we're suggsting that if you're going to take the perks of office you need to do a better job.

Re JON - please tell me what we have to show for the $13m RWC profit. What long term rugby infrastructure was put into place with this money? Or was it blown on salaries?

Was $30m wasn't it?

I'm no fan of JON, as TWaS used to point out this money pretty much disappeared with the reduced test matches in 2007, 2011 and 2015 World Cup years, and the ARC.

That's the mismanagement. Not planning for the lean years.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I get the feeling returning to a Super 12 with 5 New Zealand, 4 South Africa and 3 Aussie teams is imminent. Just a matter of whether they go with a few interim culls and push it out 5 years or do it in one foul swoop now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sorry if I have missed it but what is the structure of a 16 team comp?

Just a pure and simple play 15 games against the rest of the comp, alternating home and away each year?

Still only potentially 7 games a year for some teams.

15 weeks of Super rugby, plus three weeks of finals, starting first weekend in March means it's all over by the end of June, ready for the July internationals.

NRC becomes pretty damn crucial from there doesn't it? And where does club fit in?

Perhaps we should aim for the club season to go to mid August and all those non-test players go back to club to give that a real profile leading into their finals, and then on to NRC from there-ish.

That's the only workable way for 16 teams. Though, if I were the ARU I'd be pushing hard to move they number of games to 18 so we can get our derbies as compensation for cutting a franchise.

As for the NRC. That becomes vitally important now. Particularly for the location of the franchise that is cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.