• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Fuck that, get Four Corners all over this clusterfuck. The only ones I'd trust to tell the story properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I wrote this in frustration back in July 2008. It was written at the anger, I felt at those running rugby at the time were totally out of there depth in managing the media deals of the day and this had led to noisy park rugby folk like me almost being seen as an enemy of sorts.

A good mate kept my email and posted it back to me today with a comment it’s even truer today.

So I through I would share with you an email I sent a mate in July 2008.

Mates Name
There is a famous quote that reads, “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.”

Whether it’s Blockbuster video getting bankrupted by new online TV and movie companies or Myspace being blown out of the water by Facebook, the modern business world is fast moving and ruthless. Progress waits for no one, and rugby is no different.

A quick glance at the English Football pyramid presents a graveyard of once successful football clubs who believed they were ‘bigger than their current division.

So where does this leave us. We are stuck with a bunch of suits driven by profit as their God and essentially US based who run a media company. They are looking for products and events to broadcast and we have handed rugby to a bunch of suits who care little for rugby other than the analysist who looks at the various charts.

We cannot grow rugby if we are controlled by a bunch of media hacks looking to maximise profit.

My above quote the species that survives is the most adaptable and we are being locked in competition in crazy time zones hidden away by the suits on their restricted broadcast platforms.

This new A-League is coming on strong and we are not adapting to it because we are locked away with key decisions in Australia being decided by nations were rugby is the number one code and a bunch of media hacks transfixed to charts and how the product is going.

We need to break away from Super Rugby.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
half, I keep reading you're quitting the forum and then it's
tumblr_n31n2682A91twc4bto1_400.gif

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
He missed you DP, and your endless serenades about Byron Kelleher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
In 1996 the ARU was broke and the taxpayers of Victoria and the sporting patrons of Victoria bailed out the ARU. The State government of Victoria struck a five year deal with the ARU to bring two Bledisloe games, a Mandela cup game and a British lions game to Victoria bringing patrons through the turnstiles like no other state could.
Three similar deals were subsequently done and from 1997 to 2016 the Victorian Major events paid well in excess of twenty million dollars to attract four Bledisloe cups, two British lions, numerous world cup games and a host of other test matches to Melbourne so that over a million patrons could attend test match rugby in Melbourne. At an average ticket price of one hundred dollars, that equates to one hundred million dollars in to the coffers of the ARU.
In total, the Victorian taxpayers and sports patrons added over a hundred and twenty million dollars in revenue to the ARUs war chest.
Further, Vic government built a rugby stadium at AAMI park as part of the failed 2004 bid for Rugby at a further cost of $350 m .
Close to half a billion dollars has been invested in rugby in the state of Victoria.

No state has invested more in rugby than Victoria and none has done more to bolster the finances of the ARU.
How can the ARU even contemplate cutting the Melbourne Rebels after Victorian rugby saved Australian Rugby?

B

BLR

How can the ARU even contemplate cutting the Melbourne Rebels after Victorian rugby saved Australian Rugby?

God, this rant has made me want the Rebels to be cut quite badly.

Besides that, how many different reports alluding that perhaps Cox is looking at selling before maybe there is an element of truth to it? There has been multiple instances of smoke, you have to say the fire couldn't be far away.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

Besides that, how many different reports alluding that perhaps Cox is looking at selling before maybe there is an element of truth to it? There has been multiple instances of smoke, you have to say the fire couldn't be far away.

go away BLR

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Hey now, play the argument not the man.

I do think my argument to keep the rebels is quite valid and your rant to want to cut them is unsubstantiated.
I do think Cox is putting his ducks in line and will sell to the best offer - ARU or Rocky not sure, but he will sell. ARU will close them down and Rocky will continue operations.
And by the way, Cox prefers to be called by his childhood nickname : Judas (so I hear)

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
go away BLR

Hey now, play the argument not the man.

Lou75, you must admit your rant was quite ludicrous and irrelevant as an argument relevant to keeping the Rebels.

BLR, don't take the bait.

What the fuck is with you guys? Quite obvious directing your anger at each others franchises will win you no fans. The ARU is the enemy, not the Force/Rebels.

How about joining forces to start more Brumbies rumours - it is quite funny watching Slim293 run in and hose each and everyone of those down.

B

BLR

I do think my argument to keep the rebels is quite valid and your rant to want to cut them is unsubstantiated.

Your entire 'argument' was about how Victoria saved Australian rugby by putting on some games that, to be honest, could have been located anywhere and that Australian rugby owes you.

Not to mention some bad assumption to build a stadium by the government.

I can guarantee you as well there was a lot of out of towners going to those games as well so Melbourne was a vessel for those games but they were by no means the most integral part of this success.

This kind of talk is complete arrogance. This is why I said this has turned me to wanting to cut them.

Absolute Bollocks.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Your entire 'argument' was about how Victoria saved Australian rugby by putting on some games that, to be honest, could have been located anywhere

Absolute Bollocks.

But they weren't and frankly if WA had tried to put them on in 1997 no one would have gone there

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

There have also been multiple instances of people hearing directly from Cox that he will not sell. These are people who work for him and will be significantly impacted if he is lying.

Cox's relationship with the Victorian government would be highly impacted (to say the least)

And if he does change his mind, it would probably be a good idea to do the conference from his hotel in NZ because I wouldn't want to be in the same room with a number of very large very pissed off and very unemployed rugby players that I have been lying to for months about the stability of their employment.

Who knows what is going to happen. There is bugger all real news and the paper have to write something.

B

BLR

But they weren't and frankly if WA had tried to put them on in 1997 no one would have gone there

Well if you look at crowds for the early days of the Force & older Wallabies games at Subiaco when we got reasonable tests I would say that is grossly incorrect.

Was the fact it was played in Victoria any different to if it were played in Sydney or Brisbane. I have been to a few games in Melbourne, don't get me wrong, for me it had nothing to do with the town whatsoever, it was just where the game happened to be held and I am sure if it were held in Sydney and Brisbane it would have been just a big event.

Status
Not open for further replies.