• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
My personal favourites from that article (emphasis added):

The values espoused and actual, as-practiced of the ARU board leadership are separated by a Pacific Ocean of self-deceit and perpetual denial.

No enterprise's calibre, culture and success over time will ever exceed the nature and capabilities of its most senior leadership.

Let us all pause and understand why Australian rugby is in the parlous state it is.

Yeah, I saw that one. It shows an amazing lack of self awareness and either they have no clue how poorly this process has been managed or they are just prepared to lie.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah, I saw that one. It shows an amazing lack of self awareness and either they have no clue how poorly this process has been managed or they are just prepared to lie.

Self preservation, they have dug a big hole and haven't thrown the shovel away yet, imo this behaviour shows that they have a lot to lose if all the info comes out, running scared.

Edit: I would say he is desperately trying to get the deal with Cox across the line to try and circumvent all the analysis of their actions

L

Leo86

Lots of blame here

Now lets have a solution or two to debate on here.

I am for 5 teams playing each other in the first part of the season with the three top teams playing in a revamped super played later in the season.

Next

Honour the contracts, simple.

18 teams to 2020, change the fucktard conference system we have now to a 3x6.

If Aus is struggling financially find a solution other than cut and run. Put the onus on the franchises. ARU pay the same amount across the board. No bail outs, loans that can be shown to be paid back sure.

If anything drastic fuck off Japan and Argies, nothing personal but it wasnt just Aussies goin to 5 and Saffers going to 6 that has put us in this predicament alone. SANZAARs argument is The comp is losing money because of quality. Before we extended beyond the Tri-nations we were looking at expanding not decreasing.

ARU get some backbone you are an equal partner in SANZAAR quit acting like its BITCH

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
interestingly it would not surprise me if Clyne is the only one fighting this war on their side. Bill is probably doing nothing and most of the board would be distancing themselves from Clyne if self preservation is their goal. The Stress must be killing him?

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm sorry Redshappy. I agree with most of your posts but the statement that the Rebels have been performing to substandard outcomes for some time is twaddle.

Let's look at 2016 - how many games did the Rebels win last year? 7 - more than the Reds and Force put together (3 wins for the Reds, 2 for the force).

How about 2015 then . the Rebels won 7 games equal to the total of the Reds and the Force together (4 for the Reds, 3 for the Force).

Yes, the Rebels have been crap this year (injuries haven't helped), but over the past 3 seasons they have won 15 games compared to 10 for the Reds and 8 for the Force.

And I note that we know that the Reds had $1.05 million of top ups in 2016 and the Rebels only $120k. So if the Rebels have been very sub-standard then what does that make the Force and Reds?

JP, you have a valid point and, in its terms, I fully accept what you say above and the spirit in which it's said. 'Very sub-standard' was too harsh in context. You certainly deserve a reply from me.

I was amiss in not being clear re my definition of 'sub-standard'.

I was in writing this thinking more of arguable absolute standards that should be applied to all Aus Super teams than merely 'relative to very poorly performing (in w-l terms) other Aus Super franchises such as the Reds and Force.'

Re the Reds under Graham, well, I openly detested that ludicrous HC choice from Day One in 2012, and I have long argued here that it was highly likely the Force was rapidly evolving into an enterprise too fragile for the ARU, or anyone else, to fund on an ongoing basis.

I have said for years here that IMO one of the numerous problems within the system-wide institution of Australian rugby is that the body that funds all the Super teams, the ARU, was/is derelict in its strategic policy and duty to stakeholders in not enforcing performance KPIs upon all its Super teams and giving itself the right to curtail or modify funding and make RU board and HC changes if such KPIs - both commercial and playing-wise - were over certain periods consistently not met. (NB: this argument necessarily assumes the ARU was a body competent in all respects to drive such a performance-led policy of investment alteration and major franchise changes when franchise performance was not adequate, and that is not the case today.)

I have also consistently argued on these pages that the pain endured over some years by the Rebels and their fans was and is principally the glaring failure of the funding parties to implant and insist upon a high-enough and stable-enough calibre of coaching group and business leadership into the Rebels so's to reflect the serious challenges of pro rugby entering a marketplace as tightly established and competitive as is Melbourne's, and I stand by that assessment.

For a pro code that was to make very significant $ investments in an expansion team like the Rebels, a far superior Business Plan (and related risk assessment and mitigation plan) for the team and business there should have been created back in 2010-11. Instead, the Rebels enterprise was made to lurch from one hapless CEO to another and with almost parallel corrosive instability in coaching and team recruitment policies. I am on record as saying for some time that I consider Totality Tony over-promoted as HC and over-indulged by the ARU and Rebels and that he'd likely fail over time.

Returning to our discussion: IMO, the w-l %s you quote for the Rebels in recent years (after some 5 or so years of establishment) are, in terms of a reasonable set of absolute, not relative, standards, ones that should not have been consistently and blithely accepted by the ARU (assuming it was competently run) and changes should have been considered with a view to driving this % up well into the 50%s and hopefully much higher. Further, these Rebels w-l %s have been accompanied by triple digit negative PDs and I doubt whether any local RU will be commercially viable over time if it loses more home games than it wins, that has been shown to be case with the serious financial struggles of Reds and Tahs when they have built up a consistent pattern of limp, non-dominant performance trends. Finally, it is the case I believe that Rebels' crowd levels, hovering around the 10,000 mark, look commercially dangerous to income and sponsor-gaining/retaining and a quarter-full AAMI is not a great look to Foxtel viewers either.

Whatever, the Rebels have certainly performed better than the Reds and Force in recent years, have had some fine 'giant-killer' victories vs the best Super teams (I have much enjoyed those!) and, as you say, that is absolutely something that should be noted and respected. Especially, in the Reds case, the time the Reds have been in existence and their far superior player development base.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
“Nothing could be more incorrect,” Clyne said. “We haven’t botched the process . we have been very clear about how the process is being run but a lot of that has got lost. There is no floundering. We are responding to people

If where we are at,is the result of a clear and correct process, thank Christ they didn't botch it!

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Nah, when you are infallible and know you're right, there is no stress. you prevail by shear willpower. just ask the Donald, things are "truly great, really great, exceptional"

Ha Ha, yeah possibly, narcissists/psychopaths aren't disadvantaged in the corporate world, imo.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I thought I'd reached the limit of my levels of anger and disappointment through this crap .
Well I'm wrong this takes the cake .
And I'm going to get personal because these comments deserve it .
Clyne you out of touch , arrogant , supercilious poonce . I know your some frigging hero used to sprouting bull shit and thinking all will just nod and go along
How can you possibly say you haven't botched this process . 48 to 72 hours you say for a decision. See ya later Force . Oh hang on legal injunction . See you Rebels .
Oh hang on we have a binding agreement ?? Then absolute radio silence .
How about an apology to the broad Australian Rugby stakeholder group for your fuck up that has made the game we love a national laughing stock . Same at international Rugby levels .
Tim North and the other good folk behind this EGM turf this arrogant clown out at the first opportunity.
Moron

Just to add to what a total fucking joke not only Clyne's latest ludicrous comments here are but recall: when the cull was announced by the ARU with all its solemn fanfare, it was announced that the culling criteria would principally be centred around financial metrics, costs, sustainability etc. And the overriding need for the ARU to save money to be invested into the newly-discovered 'grass roots'.

The ARU then leaked that they could close the Force down at will with the only costs being to its creditors, player contracts pay-outs, etc. Senior ARU delegates despatched to Perth told the Force that they would be culled as to cull the Rebels would entail far more cost and Govt income risk, etc.

That was April.

A month later we have the remarkable reversal whereby the ARU is considering, by report, paying in the order of $6m cash _just to buy the VIC rugby license back_ let alone the additional multi-millions needed immediately thereafter to effect the operational close-down process itself.

How does any of this make any sense whatsoever.

The whole process is, for a fan, like walking into a bad dream where nothing is as it seems and the many dark personages cannot be trusted to act in any manner that can be relied upon as true or even consistent in the multiple deceptions that unfold with frightening regularity.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The ARU then leaked that they could close the Force down at will with the only costs being to its creditors, player contracts pay-outs, etc. Senior ARU delegates despatched to Perth told the Force that they would be culled as to cull the Rebels would entail far more cost and Govt income risk, etc.

That was April.

A month later we have the remarkable reversal whereby the ARU is considering, by report, paying in the order of $6m cash _just to buy the VIC rugby license back_ let alone the additional multi-millions needed immediately thereafter to effect the operational close-down process itself.

To admit their decision was based on incorrect assumptions would be far too honest a thing to do.

I also find it funny that Clyne has said 90% of the people he hears from are in favour of cutting a team, even now, when almost 50% of people on this forum are for withdrawing from Super Rugby altogether, and another 30% are in favour of doing so if it leads to a Trans-Tasman competition. Obviously none of the first group are in favour of cutting a team, and most of the 2nd wouldn't be either.

It's good to see that the GAGR forum doesn't reflect the bubble Clyne lives in.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
To admit their decision was based on incorrect assumptions would be far too honest a thing to do.

I also find it funny that Clyne has said 90% of the people he hears from are in favour of cutting a team, even now, when almost 50% of people on this forum are for withdrawing from Super Rugby altogether, and another 30% are in favour of doing so if it leads to a Trans-Tasman competition. Obviously none of the first group are in favour of cutting a team, and most of the 2nd wouldn't be either.

He neglected to mention that his two 'heard from' communications were from the respective Chairmen of the QRU and NSWRUs, both naturally congratulating Clyne on his foresight and leadership during the culling decision making process. They both 'fully respected' the need to cull a Super team.

Clyne's Executive Assistant 'accidentally deleted' all the other emails. An unfortunate lapse in the ARU's otherwise excellent internal procedures.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
“Nothing could be more incorrect,” Clyne said. “We haven’t botched the process . we have been very clear about how the process is being run but a lot of that has got lost. There is no floundering. We are responding to people

If where we are at,is the result of a clear and correct process, thank Christ they didn't botch it!

It is clearly a "well oiled machine".

I do wonder what a botched process would look like.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You guys just don't think like the ARU.
There is nothing wrong with the process.
There are two obvious reasons for this:
  1. The process is fine its the mis and dis information the ARU are feeding into the process that is and will be the problem;
  2. There is no process so how can it be to blame.
Stand down.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Can we get a Poll going on the forum with say 5 options? Moderators and administrators of G&G?

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
JP, you have a valid point and, in its terms, I fully accept what you say above and the spirit in which it's said. 'Very sub-standard' was too harsh in context. You certainly deserve a reply from me.

Completely agree with everything you said.

The Rebels management didn't exactly start off well with the first CEO (Waldron) resigning before the team even formed and we could (and do in the Rebels thread) complain for pages on the issues with regards to coaching (and how the hell do you get that many injuries outside of competition for the second year in a row).

I would say that much of what you said also applies to the Force.

The ARU have done a horrible job of supporting the expansion teams and to be honest, this extends to their initial treatment of the Brumbies. I would have thought that they would have looked at how the AFL have been highly successful in being able to launch expansion teams and what needs to be done to build a team in new markets.

The problem is that any plan which will get us where we want to go probably shouldn't start from where we currently are.

Australia Rugby was such in a good place after the 2003 World Cup - financially and in terms of the position in the market - and to see such a decline is depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.