• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To admit their decision was based on incorrect assumptions would be far too honest a thing to do.

I also find it funny that Clyne has said 90% of the people he hears from are in favour of cutting a team, even now, when almost 50% of people on this forum are for withdrawing from Super Rugby altogether, and another 30% are in favour of doing so if it leads to a Trans-Tasman competition. Obviously none of the first group are in favour of cutting a team, and most of the 2nd wouldn't be either.

It's good to see that the GAGR forum doesn't reflect the bubble Clyne lives in.

Well there's 9 people on the ARU Board isn't there? Plus Rob Clarke. We know Geoff Stooke voted against don't we? There's your 90%.

He's really got to get out more. Meet some new people.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Try to remember that GAGR is probably not a representative study of the rugby supporting population.

Of course, but it is at least somewhat representative of tragic fans who have thought about all these things in depth and read arguments from all sides.

I think more casual fans would be more likely to be in favour of going to 4 teams and sticking in Super Rugby because they'd have never even considered whether Super Rugby is the right vehicle for professional rugby in Australia or not. They'd just see that our teams aren't competitive at the moment and that on the face of it 4 teams will concentrate talent and finances. They'd also be used to the status quo where Australian based teams are almost entirely filled with Australian players (hence the common complaint that we don't have the depth for 5 teams, which I think is irrelevant) and the purpose of Super Rugby is predominantly about developing Wallabies. They likely won't have seen or engaged with the arguments against these positions. The people voting in that poll have.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I can say that a lot of casual rugby fans or people involved in other sports have said to me: bloody hell what a tragedy if the Force were to go. Most of them can't believe it's even being considered.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
And I hope these guys aren't getting golden handshakes.

Golden??
Over the recent 6 months I'm not sure what Bill deserves, but who knows what rabbit he may pull out of his hat.

At present ARU appears to be in a ripe old mess chasing its tail, and contingent expenses seem to be mounting into reality.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Golden??
Over the recent 6 months I'm not sure what Bill deserves, but who knows what rabbit he may pull out of his hat.

At present ARU appears to be in a ripe old mess chasing its tail, and contingent expenses seem to be mounting into reality.

Bill deserves what his contract says he deserves.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep but to be fair fellas, I spend a hell of a lot of time at rugby etc, and of all the people I know at the club I involved in, players, coaches and supporters etc, I the only one who comes into this site, so I hate to tell you but we not probably the average rugby supporter in Aus!!!

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Half,

We are not in competition with the FFA.

We are in competition with reality.

True is an absolute sense. My point was FFA started with a one million dollar media deal and averaged 22 K on Fox when they started and the NSL before them drew average crowds of 3.5 K.

At the same time we where screaming along.

In the 12 years of the A-League, they have grown to have far more games than we do, average higher TV ratings, average bigger crowds, more memberships, develop an FFA Cup akin to our NRC, and Socceroos pre the A-League averaged about 7K crowd per match and struggled to get broadcast. Further they have grown their player base hugely.

Rugby under ARU cough cough cough management has all metrics heading south. Today we look like averaging less than 50K for Super Rugby on Fox and crowds under 12 maybe 11 k.

I suggest the sporting market is just that and our management team has been totally out performed in the board room and I use FFA as an example. I could use Netball in a couple of years.

Finally FFA fans and stakeholders are holding FFA to a far higher standard than we do the ARU and want massive improvement today nay they are demanding massive improvement.

At some point someone has to take responsibility for the position we find ourselves in. Please don't say its the game again its the job of the ARU board to sell the game and explain the game.

A very simple example, our ratings for all overseas matches was well below Australian based matches. Matches in poor time zones hardly rated. These are facts. Yet in the new agreement we reduced Australian games and increased poor time zone overseas matches. WE could have also looked at the A-League when they played there matches against Asian teams the ratings were well down on local matches.

Yet with all this evidence before them, we agree to the current format. Its fallen apart. This is not the game not being good enough, this is poor [way to light a word] cough cough cough management.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Blame everybody you like, mate. But have you actually talked to some of your friends and neighbours and asked them whether they like rugby? And if you say they all do, fair enough.

On the other hand, if you live in the real world, and talk to real people, you will discover that the game is indeed the problem.

Soccer is simple to watch, and understand. Ditto Netball. Ditto all the games that are popular in Australia. That is a fact. F.A.C.T.

Do you accept this?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Its part of the problem

True, i hate the GPS centric bullshit as much as the next non-GPS man. More than him, actually, having to be surrounded by the jerks for most of my life whilst not actually being one.

The future of successful Australia rugby lies in free access. Might take a while to get there though.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
On the other hand, if you live in the real world, and talk to real people, you will discover that the game is indeed the problem.

Soccer is simple to watch, and understand. Ditto Netball. Ditto all the games that are popular in Australia. That is a fact. F.A.C.T.

Do you accept this?

Cricket is the national sport and it's not so simple.

You talk as if you need a degree to understand rugby. While understanding some of the nuances of the game takes time, the fundamental game is not that complicated. Sure, not quite as simple as rugby league or soccer but it really doesn't take a genius.

There have been enough examples in recent history to show that rugby can be very popular in Australia. There are many examples of big crowds and TV ratings. If the game itself is the problem then this simply wouldn't be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.