• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
So anyway, if all the posturing/law suit threats etc ended up with ARU somehow having to try and talk Sanzaar into changing back to S18 or whatever, that would be I assume for 2-3 more years, and then I would guess we would see Aus having only 3 teams in super rugby? Noone would have any comeback then would they, as surely all agreements end when this broadcast deal runs out. Just wondering where it all ends!

No, the Rebels licence is for 20 years.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I would guess we would see Aus having only 3 teams in super rugby? Noone would have any comeback then would they, as surely all agreements end when this broadcast deal runs out. Just wondering where it all ends!

Right, but it also depends what you mean by "Super Rugby".

If you mean a full February to June season of club rugby with teams flying between Buenos Aires, Joburg and Tokyo then good luck to you.

I wouldn't put money on that lasting beyond 2020.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So anyway, if all the posturing/law suit threats etc ended up with ARU somehow having to try and talk Sanzaar into changing back to S18 or whatever, that would be I assume for 2-3 more years, and then I would guess we would see Aus having only 3 teams in super rugby? Noone would have any comeback then would they, as surely all agreements end when this broadcast deal runs out. Just wondering where it all ends!

No - someone pointed out yesterday (?) in answer to me that Cox has got options out to the 12th of never

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Hopefully it ends with us having zero teams in super rugby. For the first time since the super concept was introduced, I didn't watch a single game on the weekend.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You missed a corker on Friday night.
You didn't miss anything on the other 2 days.

Was Friday night a Kiwi derby? I think I caught some highlights on the news Saturday morning.

All Kiwi affairs are really the only games worth watching.

Out of interest what was the crowd for the SFS on Sunday?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have been saying it for ages, the "capture" of the actual rugby fan base of people who are already involved with the game is abysmal. Of the blokes I know still playing the game only a small percentage have Fox and being in a regional area very few of us get to the city to watch Super games.

Get a direct to consumer model somehow, or even if Fox provided a limited streaming service and I am positive there would be a large uptick in engagement.

Well, Fox provides a streaming service for all (I think) the NRC games on their website. How many people subscribe to that, I wonder?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Quality? If that's what you mean, I agree.

EDIT : Quality is the big issue with streaming services up til now. Bar TV, U20s and NRC coverage is very amateurish compared with the Fox coverage of the Super Rugby in spite of the poor commentary team. And while SS coverage had improved by last year, but still not what I would call good, I have yet to see any SS games this year because of the dick headedness of some of the personalities involved with the clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.