• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I understand your point QH, and I am no way trying to criticise you or your reasoning, as you say only 15000 went to watch Tahs and Rebels play on sunday, and perhaps if at least one of the teams was in the top 10 of the comp there may of been more, as you say 15 years ago there would of been twice as many, in basically the same comp, only the Tahs then were probably a top 5-6 team. Unfortunately instead you had the feeling you were watching a couple of fairly mediocre teams give it there best shot. Also if my memory serves me correctly 15 years ago the Aussie teams were playing good skilful rugby. I not saying super rugby doesn't have big problems, but if Aussie teams played better, I think a lot of the problems wouldn't appear as big as they do now!

There's no doubt that our teams are playing poor rugby. The only games that I would consider watching are the NZ derbies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Bring. It. On.

This is what I'm hoping for (metaphically of course)

tumblr_nt1h2hR5Np1r2oouro1_1280.jpg

I think it's the Italians coming. Sorry to be un pédant.

B

BLR

I not saying super rugby doesn't have big problems, but if Aussie teams played better, I think a lot of the problems wouldn't appear as big as they do now!

Is this a problem with having more teams or just having a combination of crappy management, coaches and rubbish (well, compared to NZ) players coming through.

I remember in around '98 it was deemed to be a crisis around about that era after the retirement of Sean Fitzpatrick with the depth of New Zealand rugby. And sure enough during the Tri-Nations that year the AB's didn't win a single game. It lasted a year, because the problem was identified and the solutions were found and New Zealand were winning again.

What has the ARU done to actually try to solve the depth problem besides trying to cut a team? They haven't tried to equalise talent, they haven't tried anything different than what they always do to make the Wallabies better.

This is why NZ are where they are, when they see and issue like in '98 & the continual under-performance of the Highlanders they take measures to rectify it so that every part of NZ Rugby is strong and working towards making the AB's strong, while the ARU just doesn't even try, it is business as usual and the broken model keeps on chugging along.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Is this a problem with having more teams or just having a combination of crappy management, coaches and rubbish players coming through.

I remember in around '98 it was deemed to be a crisis around about that era after the retirement of Sean Fitzpatrick with the depth of New Zealand rugby. And sure enough during the Tri-Nations that year the AB's didn't win a single game. It lasted a year, because the problem was identified and the solutions were found and New Zealand were winning again.

What has the ARU done to actually try to solve the depth problem besides trying to cut a team? They haven't tried to equalise talent, they haven't tried anything different than what they always do to make the Wallabies better.

This is why NZ are where they are, when they see and issue like in '98 & the continual under-performance of the Highlanders they take measures to rectify it so that every part of NZ Rugby is strong and working towards making the AB's strong, while the ARU just doesn't even try, it is business as usual and the broken model keeps on chugging along.

Yep.

Cutting a team will put me in a massive conundrum. My imbroglio is whether I watch less "Super" rugby (like now) or none.

Kiwis, and others, continue to miss that Australia needs a national footprint. This cut, which by 2020 will very likely be a cut to three, is a slide to possible death of pro rugby in Australia.

4 teams will do nothing to increase many many people returning, irrespective of performance. AND there is absolutely no objective evidence that the quality will increase, certainly not in the mid term. And next year, whatever happens has already accelerated rugby players leaving to Europe.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A Liverpool FC side contacting some retired players just thumped the recently crowned A-League champions Sydney FC 3-0.
Quite clearly a result of the A-League expanding too quickly. Surely they should cut a team ....

Indubitably increasing the quality of soccer in Australia. Hell, cut to 5, then they might match the ARU. [Hmm]

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Dru & P.Tah

Love your thoughts on the following.

Tonight aside from the Liverpool V SFC with over a 70K crowd, there where a large number of FFA cup matches.

The following link is one and its between two Victorian sides.

https://www.facebook.com/NPLVictoria/videos/1205842716204872/?permPage=1

Listen / watch from roughly 10:30 minutes to say 14:30 minutes to the broadcast callers.

They talk abouts kids coming and the crowd building etc and the importance of the FFA Cup to these sides and crowds of 5K.

Latter on they talk about how fast their broadcast are growing within local communities. You need to understand these matches on face book are getting between 5 & 25 K views . Now I know FB views is not totally reliable however

The quality of these teams is marginal at best.

What it SCREAMS at me is Australian people love their local side.

Tonight there was something like 8 different matches streams running.

What I would love your thoughts on is the importance of local teams to local people in relation to Super Rugby and second the difference between the ARU's approach with the Nobody Really Cares competition visa v FFA's approach and allowing anyone wanting to be involved to be involved. Both question pertaining to growing the two codes and growing brand awareness.

Some people question my constant attacking of the ARU and comparing them to FFA .

However what if the ARU became as inclusive as FFA IMO the outcomes would be mega.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
A Liverpool FC side contacting some retired players just thumped the recently crowned A-League champions Sydney FC 3-0.
Quite clearly a result of the A-League expanding too quickly. Surely they should cut a team ....
Meh, was an exhibition match. Wouldn't even class it as a friendly.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Dru & P.Tah

Further to my post above this was one of the lead 4 stories on News Sports, for how I have no idea.

Check out the broadcasters calling.

We have to go local to me its so obovious and create a national domestic league.

Listen to the call and the article and remember this was showing as a top 4 sports story . Become inclusive.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...y/news-story/2b97a28ede709f2c3f9695e31b6feda5

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
Latter on they talk about how fast their broadcast are growing within local communities. You need to understand these matches on face book are getting between 5 & 25 K views . Now I know FB views is not totally reliable however

What it SCREAMS at me is Australian people love their local side.

Half, I have cherry picked a few comments of yours here, but I think you have misunderstood what communities they are talking about. In the example you picked, both sides are backed by strong ethnic communities. This is the case with most if not all sides at least at State premier league level in Victoria. I can't comment on other states. Undoubtedly a good example of tribalism and grass roots support, but not for local clubs.

In itself the FFA cup is a great initiative that works for that sport. Cup competitions are also traditional in that sport. The AFL tried a similar thing which died after a few years as the clubs found it was affecting their main competition season. This is a competition that can't sustain rep football as league football is what is traditional. They present an interesting couple of case studies in implementation of new competitions working with existing structures. Rugby seems to have more history with champions league type comps including the original super comps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dru & P.Tah

Further to my post above this was one of the lead 4 stories on News Sports, for how I have no idea.

Check out the broadcasters calling.

We have to go local to me its so obovious and create a national domestic league.

Listen to the call and the article and remember this was showing as a top 4 sports story . Become inclusive.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...y/news-story/2b97a28ede709f2c3f9695e31b6feda5
I don't see why we can't have a long form semi pro national domestic competition that would be supported by foxtel.

Then eventually as grows it morphs longer term into a pro competition that replaces super rugby or where the latter reverts to champions league style.

Papworth is on the right track in we need a national club competition for 15's and 7's.

Yep could not be fully professional at this point but could be semi pro with long term vision with success and growth moves to fully professional.
Sow the seeds, nurture it and let it grow.

It is not that hard, but I guess for the ARU who seem to have no idea about how to successfully develop a long term strategy and roadmap I guess it is and will continue to be while they remain in place.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@Half

I like to think that I listen and will shift an opinion with reasonable argument and evidence. I've gone on this forum from being parodied as an ARU apologist to at least what seems from a few here as unsreasonable ARU hater.

WRT Soup, I longer accept that it offers something suitable for Australian rugby. That I'll admit, is not exactly the same as thinking "it is obvious that we need to go domestic" - though its probably splitting hairs.

WRT to football, my (local) team in England was the (Reading) Royals. Went to maybe half their home games and a rew away. I have a reasonable understanding of Football tribalism. My wife liked it for the crowd more than the sport. The sense of community is palpable. It can also veer to aweful evil stuff that in Europe is sometimes only a paper-thin edge away.

WRT FFA I actually have ZIP interest. I tend to at best fast scan your posts when they wander to FFA. Its not a matter of disrespect, just simple interest.

Back on a domestic comp. i still have reservations with how Begg/Papworth etc will handle whatever happens. They have shown an ability to rebel but in my mind not yet have we seen what they would do to lock in this tribalism. Right now though, I'll take Pap and Begg over Pulver (who I actually like) and Clynne. Hands down. And I'll be buried with the consequences. If thats the result.

We cant do Soup as offered and maintain a National footprint. I'm going to keep on this because it is fundamental. If they find a way to offer something that works lets reconsider. But right now there are few alternatives being discussed that to me have any reality - and all of them imo feature a domestic comp.

You boys shouting about tribalism from the SS, very good. I do like the sense of community it brings. I'm very probably going to be with you next season if Clynne continues his s orched earth policy. Let the SS sort out how they work SS teams into a National comp. that wont be easy. They didnt like how it was rushed through with NRC. OK, actually tell us what would be better.

As a final caution. If Begg, Papworth, Dwyer, Poidevin, Jones etc, take this chance and screw the grass roots by focus on only SS clubs, my reaction will be exactly the same as it is right now for Soup.

How quickly I may fall. Soup to SS. SS to Subbies. Whatever. There will be rugby somewhere.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So what's the easy answer? Your time starts now.

Tick. Tick. Tick...

Put the ARU into administration.
Put all the state unions into liquidation.
Set up a new company limited by guarantee affiliated to World Rugby.
Run regional comps through regional clubs with logical contiguous feeder comps and clubs.
Central contracting for super rugby and above - incentive based: $10 per player in the squad per point scored in addition to differentiated win and lose match payments and training payments

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Have our super rugby over 15 or so rounds, ditch the NRC (love the NRC btw) for an actual national competition involving our actual teams + Fiji. 10 round competition + final. We need a national champion, so why not let the Brumbies/Reds whoever have a chance to be that. We are screaming out for success within our teams, what better success than to be called 'national' champions. It's simple, this would give the Tahs/Force/Rebels something to build towards if they are experiencing horrendous Super campaigns, and for the 2 teams in the final, we would quickly forget how dross they were in their Super Campaigns. Its guaranteed success for a team + it provides more content for our super teams and fans more of a chance to build an affiliation with them. We all saw what the NRC win did for Perth last year, imagine if that was actually the Force brand instead, its just a marketing opportunity thrown down the drain

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Put the ARU into administration.
Put all the state unions into liquidation.
Set up a new company limited by guarantee affiliated to World Rugby.
Run regional comps through regional clubs with logical contiguous feeder comps and clubs.
Central contracting for super rugby and above - incentive based: $10 per player in the squad per point scored in addition to differentiated win and lose match payments and training payments

Who actually manages all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.