• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
In fact I'd suggest SANZAAR could sue for breach of contract?
Dunno about this.

< puts on bush lawyer's hat >

I mean, in theory, sure. Anyone can be taken to court. But the will has to be there. It needs money, effort and time. Plus a worthwhile prize at the end of it.

A couple thoughts/questions - Is consensus needed for SANZAAR to take action or can it be done on a majority vote of members?

And if that hurdle is cleared, chances are they would need to sue the ARU in a New South Wales court, hiring Sydney lawyers and sending people and funds to Australia for a campaign that could take months, possibly well into 2018 to get an outcome.

Does Steve Tew and co really have the appetite for this? The Saffers?

I don't think this is the way it can work. As soon as that suit is filed, SANZAAR will be effectively dead.

And with SANZAAR incorporated in Australia, could not Twiggy-WARU co-opt them into litigation over breach of contract, assuming the ARU arbitration judgement has gone their way?

Of course this supposition is based on the ARU losing the arbitration call.

If the ARU wins then I guess they will (a) press ahead with a 15 team schedule, and (b) cop the legal action from the west.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The basic problem is that the ARU thinks that the RUs gave them permission to cut a team. The RUs DID NOT, as such do this, not in their own minds anyway. Each RU did give the ARU permission, in their own minds, to increase their funding (after cutting somebody else if necessary).

It's a pretty major difference.

The ARU created debacle will certainly spill over to SANZAAR if they fail on cutting a team. The longer it is made clear this is happening the bigger the SANZAAR debacle that follows.

Note that while this happens, Saffer fans have not been mollified entirely with the Pro14. They also find Soup a joke that doesnt suit them and is killing the importance of the Currie Cup. Discussions often follow similar thoughts here to running a domestic comp, followed by a "Super" champions league style thing. I'm up for that, as long as we refuse to send the top domestic teams, but offer a SOO style set of rep teams. 3 works for me Qld/NSW/the rest but we could do 2, or 4 or 5 to suit by changing the qualification rules.

Hard to think that Soup as we know it is not on its last gasps.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Memo from the ARU back in April:

Plan A: Cut the Force in 48-72 Hours
Plan B: Buy the Rebels back from Cox
Plan C: Cut the Brumbies, no body will care

Notes on the memo now,

Plan A: Who forgot to read the bloody contract? Damn what do we do now?

Plan B: I thought you said he would have a price, obviously his a kiwi Trojan horse that just F@cked us royally.

Plan C: We already told everyone they are safe, how we going to do this now.
A memo or jottings on back of a beer coaster?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Dunno about this.

< puts on bush lawyer's hat >

I mean, in theory, sure. Anyone can be taken to court. But the will has to be there. It needs money, effort and time. Plus a worthwhile prize at the end of it.

I suspect any action would be from the broadcasters against SANZAAR who would then anticipate that the ramifications are held by Australia.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I genuinely can't see how this pans out.

The ARU have seemingly screwed the pooch. If Force and Rebels are binding, then we're stuck with 5 teams. That doesn't mean shit to SANZAAR who are set to go with a 15 team comp, as negotiated with the ARU.

So the ARU don't have grounds to come back and say "hey guys, we're sticking with 5". In fact I'd suggest SANZAAR could sue for breach of contract?

Then if we say, "well we are pulling out and doing our own thing" then they'd do the same and the broadcasters could well back them. As could every other team currently signing players and sponsors etc.

The longer it goes, the only outcome I see as feasible is that the ARU is wound up and World Rugby, along with the Fed Govt/ Australian Sports Commission establish a new entity (Rugby Australia for want of a name - and one that would piss off the leaguies!).

Then we start this whole thing again..well hopefully not, but we rebuild. Appropriately.
If we are left with 5 teams given financial implications the chairman would probably be in his right to call in the administrators...Seriously...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I suspect any action would be from the broadcasters against SANZAAR who would then anticipate that the ramifications are held by Australia.

Yeah, although I suspect the (multiple and disparate) broadcasters want a quick resolution.

So, while their nuclear option will be to sue -- perhaps with the goal of just annulling the rest of the deal to 2020 -- they'd press that button when the cost/benefit directs them to that.

Super Rugby, as much as we like to think it is worthwhile, is largely only useful as time slot "filler". Outside of a few big games/finals it doesn't rate and won't rate. The few test match rights are (or at least were) of more value.

Also, the ARU doesn't have a big purse to be snatched. It will just go bust.

Either way, I doubt Super Rugby will be getting a price upgrade in three years time.

Reactions: dru

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
I would think the ARU Board would be doing some heavy duty finger pointing at this stage and pretty soon they will implode and begin to eat their own

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I would think the ARU Board would be doing some heavy duty finger pointing at this stage and pretty soon they will implode and begin to eat their own

yes, whether the WF win this decision or not the board must be currently building a gallows for Clyne and who ever else has been pushing this agenda.
It will be interesting if anyone stands up to lead or are they just there for the canapes.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Or as Oliver Cromwell might have put it:

IMG_2387.jpg

Melchior

Herbert Moran (7)
So if the VRU own the Rebels what does the balance sheet look like?

If there is a debt do the VRU own that as well? Or did that get magicked away?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So if the VRU own the Rebels what does the balance sheet look like?

If there is a debt do the VRU own that as well? Or did that get magicked away?

I doubt that there is any part of the professional game in Australia which isn't awash in red ink.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Cheika is down with a Trans tasman/National comp. I am too now, fuck the Jaapies.

10 teams, plus Sunwolves, Jaguares and a Pacific Island team, and in time a second team in Western Sydney.

Almost all games now within the 5-10pm time slot, hardly any travel.

You could turn it into a relegation comp too. Top performing NRC team wins promotion, bottom Super team goes back to NRC.

Going senile???

Status
Not open for further replies.