• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well its the same as for all the other franchises, the ARU underwrote the Reds for a couple of seasons, bought the Force franchise to pay off their debt, may yet need to bail out the Brumbies or the Tahs. and of course have been piling cash into the Rebels. it would seem that the Rebels future finances are liked to the Vic. Govt's on going support for the Bled Cup. perhaps they will up the ground hire charges to the ARU as a quid pro quo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ransfer-of-super-rugby-licence-to-vic/8779434

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
well its the same as for all the other franchises, the ARU underwrote the Reds for a couple of seasons, bought the Force franchise to pay off their debt, may yet need to bail out the Brumbies or the Tahs. and of course have been piling cash into the Rebels. it would seem that the Rebels future finances are liked to the Vic. Govt's on going support for the Bled Cup. perhaps they will up the ground hire charges to the ARU as a quid pro quo.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...ransfer-of-super-rugby-licence-to-vic/8779434

I think the Rebs have every excuse to save themselves by whatever means, the ARU have been the architects of their own demise, hopefully, and should take full responsibility. Just the fact that they are trying to change the obvious intent of the alliance with the WF shows they have no integrity.

But I don't think the threat to not have Bled cup matches carries much weight. The ARU will just call their bluff, makes no difference to them. I'm sure the the VRU could find some wealthy supporters to keep them afloat anyway?

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
One more time with feeling: it blows my mind that the ARU, Clyne, the Board and Pulver had the naive fucking gumption to announce that professional rugby would be killed off in one state without having the legal instrument to do so.

Clowns.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Most know I have been anti Super Rugby from around the late 90's, and by say 2005 was arguing Super Rugby was going to hurt us.

Today while searching for some Australian sporting stats sites I came across a soccer site called ozfootball.net.

I went into their library and saw a article about rugby and opened it.

I have copied the article below, and let the reader determine how far we have fallen. Undoubtedly soccer has improved its message. But I almost cried when I read this. Its from a parent of a hard core rusted on Soccer Dad. On this thread I have also read the same story but codes have changed. Written in 2001.

Readers call, http://www.ozfootball.net/ark/articles/twocodes.html

A Tale of two codes

During last week, all the kids in our neighborhood (Drummoyne in Sydney) had been letter dropped with an invitation to attend a 'new' initiative set up by the ARU (Australian Rugby Union). For a $20 registration fee, the kids would receive 8 weeks of training/development in the game of Rugby Union. For their $20 they would receive a Rugby Union 'show bag' which contained over $100 worth of goodies (included was a quality Rugby Ball, stickers, Drink bottle, free passes to games, discount vouchers, etc).

My son (8 years old) asked if he could go and 'try rugby' (the initiative was promoted as Try Rugby), and as he had nothing on a Friday night, I thought that him running around, learning new skills would only enhance his football (soccer) skills.

We went down to the local oval, and as soon as we got there the kids were invited onto the oval to do a warm up with Mathew Burke (Current Waratahs Captain and Wallaby) and Scott Stainsiforth (Wallaby & Waratahs).. The adults were invited upstairs to pay the $20 (+$10 for any additional child) and receive the Goodies bag. The bar was open ($2 for a beer or wine, free soft drink and chippies for any siblings not attending the rugby). People everywhere trying to help out etc.

The organisers were expecting around 50 kiddies to turn up. They ran out of show bags (they had 200 prepared) and promised all that missed out that more would be there next week.

I started talking to one of the organiers as to the motives for the event. Apparently, Drummoyne was a very traditional Rugby area but have fallen on hard times with the local kids taking up soccer in ever increasing numbers. They only have 1 under 8's Rugby team compared to 10 under 8's soccer teams. The goal is to increase numbers.

There was a speech from some official, basically saying how Rugby is a family event (stressing the 'safe family' orientated spectator facilities, ie 100K at a Bledisloe cup match, without any trouble). That at these nights a 'special' guest Wallaby & Waratah will be on hand to answer any questions and to sign autographs. The 2 Wallabys were very courteous, signing autographs, posing for photos, etc. The Friday nights were stressed as a good 'networking' event for parents, as well as a fun time (supervised by professional staff) for the kids. My sons entire under 8's soccer team was there, most wearing a wallaby replica jersey (my son resplendent in his Spirit kit :)). The kids had a ball (literally).

The next day at our home ground, there were almost as many boys kicking their new Rugby ball around as there were boys kicking footballs.

Yesterday, I suggested that the family go off to Parra stadium to watch the match between Olympic and the knights. My wife remembered the events of the past weeks and suggested that maybe it'd be better if the young ones didn't attend, what with the chance of trouble etc. Not wanting to go alone, we headed off for a family outing instead. On the way home, the news broadcast mentioned the crowd violence etc. My wife's concerned vindicated (well in her mind anyway).

What code do you think has the best chance of winning the hearts and minds of the average punter???

Will we ever get it right ??

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Which makes Cox true to his word from earlier in the season: he wouldn't sell the Rebels with the intention of them being wound up.

Nice to see that so many cynicals on here were wrong about him just holding out for the payday.

Saint Cox he aint

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Whatdya reckon Beefy?

These ARU blokes have no idea do they Coxy.

170804-andrew-cox.ashx

T

TOCC

Even Wayne Smith, the usual ARU apologists has published an article in the Australian and slammed the mess that the current ARU Board has placed Australian Rugby in. Apparently the board is only now becoming away of the significant reputational damage they are causing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It doesn't actually say they are only just becoming aware of it, it says they are becoming increasingly concerned about it. As they should.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It doesn't actually say they are only just becoming aware of it, it says they are becoming increasingly concerned about it. As they should.
Seriously how out of touch can they be? This forum probably swings a bit towards the alarmist/conspiracy theorist side but it has consistently identified just cooked the ARU and super rugby situation is.

Long live amateur rugby.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
One more time with feeling: it blows my mind that the ARU, Clyne, the Board and Pulver had the naive fucking gumption to announce that professional rugby would be killed off in one state without having the legal instrument to do so.

Yep - also educative as to how the ownership status does protect Melbourne, like the alliance agreement hopefully does the Force, despite Clyne's assurances neither mattered.

If that were true, why are we still here?

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
would be positive if 60 000 sad lions fans now support their teams following the cheetahs and kings, progress would be no 3 am games and no midnight finals
So you're proposing play all games at one venue? Can't fight time, late/early games are part of the deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Oh to be a fly on the wall at the ARU

Twiggy’s warning to the ARU over the Western Force’s future
Western Force billionaire backer Andrew Forrest has threatened the Australian Rugby Union it will have to beat him if it wants to axe the Western Force from Super Rugby.
"I want to be very clear to the ARU,” the mining magnate warned.

“You try to cut the Western Force, you have to go through me first... and then all of our players and then our supporters and then all of the parents of young players and, indeed, all proud Western Australians."
The threat comes as the Victorian Rugby Union confirmed it had taken control of Melbourne Rebels, the other side facing the chop.

The VRU was quietly sold 11,625,000 shares by owner Andrew Cox's Imperium Sports Group on Friday for just $1 despite the ARU claiming it knew nothing about the transfer and that it needed to be told to agree to the move.

Cox says the move has secured the future of the Rebels and the VRU claim it informed the ARU of the proposed process, an option that had been in place for two years.
Meanwhile Forrest, who has thrown his massive financial clout behind the Force, saying he will do whatever it takes to save the club, called ARU chairman Cameron Clyne on Friday.

“This is bigger than just a rugby game. I stand behind all of these amazing people who believe in a fair go and the right for Australians to support rugby union as a national sport, not just one reduced to the eastern seaboard,.” Forrest said.

“The Western Force has heart. It is punching way above its weight. It is producing a crop of Wallabies. It is growing its junior player base. It has the backing of its community.
“How on earth can the ARU even consider causing harm to such a team and indeed to this rugby community?”

Forrest is already offering interest free, unsecured loans to people who want to but shares in the Own The Force campaign.

He will buy the $1,000 share and the supporter will repay the loan over time to RugbyWA, effectively handing RugbyWA $2000 - half of which will be used to fund community and grassroots rugby.
The Force and ARU spent two days in arbitration last week and a result is expected within the next few days.
A "double the impact" video on the Own the Force campaign has been released featuring star Force players and a group of youngster.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...-over-the-western-forces-future-ng-b88559708z

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)
Will Pulver and Clyne last the week?

*edit*

For those hoping to turn it into a game, no such luck. Sportsbet dont have a book on it :(

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The state RUs are now effectively showing how little control the ARU has ever had. I can't see them wanting to go back to pretending the ARU are in control. All the ARU has had in it's favour has been keeping the QRU and NSWRU onside but that is only conditional on those bodies getting their way. In it's current form the system seems broken beyond repair.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well, whatever the issues that people are upset with Twiggy about, I couldn't be happier for his involvement right now.

If you judge Soup by it's usefulness to Australia, it is broken. It may not be the time to simple spit the dummy as many have said. However some proper planning is required to take things from here in a way that actually works for Australia. To the greatest extent possible, this needs to be in conjunction with our SANZAAR partners and without further annoying them, BUT something that actually works for Australia is an immutable requirement.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Ok, considering the empasse the ARU are in, I think the best solution at this point in time is to can the Tards.

It's going to destroy the ARU if they try and cut either the Rebels or Force at this point. Brumbies are our best team now and historically. Reds are the largest playing area, traditional stronghold of the game, and when QLD is strong so are the Wallabies.

The Tards are the logical choice. Perennial under achievers, a sink-hole for promising young talent. They breed lazy, entitled players who are accustomed to defeat, not hungry and desperate champions. The money wasted on them being eternal mid table cannon fodder could be better spent hiring two top-notch coaches for the Reds and Rebels, and some of the talent that hasn't been quashed out of a select few players there could be well used at other clubs.

Give the Tards a few years away to sort their admin and culture out, make them feel like they actually need to put effort in rather than worrying about their hair. At the same time, we can hire administrators/coaches from other states who actually know what they're doing to take over the ARU for a few years and rebuild it.

Bar anyone from NSW to have any part in it unless they can prove their competence. Quarantine the state off until they can present a solid case for re-inclusion in Super Rugby.

In 3 years time, when Aus and NZ shitcan the Jaapies and set up our own comp, NSW can re-apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.