• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I rattle this one off often, but I am going to again because of how strongly I believe in it. Rugby Union has a lot to offer. I genuinely believe there is an enormous untapped source of potential viewers who can't connect to Super Rugby due to it being pay tv. Super Rugby is slowly dying and I can't think of anything that could resurrect it at this stage. I think the reason drastic change hasn't been made is because of everything we stand to lose by changing. Unfortunately, change is necessary because all the things we are afraid of will happen anyway if change isn't made (fewer crowds, fewer viewers, less money, players leaving, competition becoming meaningless). We need to merge the Mitre 10 Cup and the NRC. 14 NZ teams and 8 Australian teams over two divisions. Plus whatever extras. Those competitions can still exist as a side competition (playing to determine who ends up which division- 4 OZ and 7 NZ in each). It also needs to be at least half FTA. It will be a nasty process transitioning into this competition because big money will be lost from broadcast deals, but we will come out stronger on the other end and we could easily make an end-dated arrangement re: overseas Wallabies being eligible for 3 years while the competition settles in.

I remember when the Reds (~2011), Force (~2006-2007) and Waratahs (~2005-2006) all regularly attracted audiences of 25k plus. The Force are lucky to get half that now. I believe those people would come back if we provided the product they want.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
NRC and Japanese Top League combining, with the inclusion of Fiji could be something to look at. At least NRC teams wouldn't over-run the Japanese teams. Japanese teams would have more money obviously.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But they can't, because the first team to need one will be one of the favourite children. Probably the Tahs.

Force and Rebels know whats at stake, they won't allow themselves to be first.
It's not that simple though. The ARU are contractually obliged to provide a certain number of teams and it is the basis by which they receive their financial distribution.

They can't just decide to let a team fold because they go broke.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jon

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
It's not that simple though. The ARU are contractually obliged to provide a certain number of teams and it is the basis by which they receive their financial distribution.

Dare I mention the ARUs own constitution whereby the ARU are:
Clause 2 a: to act as "keeper of the code" of the game of Rugby in Australia from grassroots to the elite level,
Clause 2 b: to foster, promote and arrange Rugby through Australia
Clause 2 c: to promote goodwill both within Australia and outside Australia by sport and in particular through Rugby.
I would have though that cutting a Super Rugby Franchise would be in direct contravention of their own constitution.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

It's not that difficult either.
If there is a process where each franchise has to submit a proper business plan, with achievable budgets. With quarterly cash flows etc.
I doubt any of the franchises would ever be at risk.
Who else just doles out big lumps of cash and tells them give us. Call if you run into problem?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sadly ChargerWA you are probably right.

If we have 5 professional sides we need something dramatic to change short term....which is major revamp/rethink of Super Rugby (which I don't see necessarily happening in next 3 years) or internal rethink for how we support 5 sides in Oz.

I think the focus needs to be short term to keep a professional side in the Vic and WA regions is to ensure they are very successful, financially viable and sustainable (stating the bleeding obvious).

It seems both regions are doing good work on the grass roots front and Own the force for WF creating a warchest to further fund grassroots, and initiatives like this are to be applauded as both need more financial innovation. But that is where perhaps central body (be it the ARU at present) needs to perhaps relaxing restrictions on imports and being able to attract some major talent so oz sides can be more successful. As oz fans are renown as being fickle fairweather fans and onfield success is needed to create any base to grow.

I hope there are some clever people behind the scenes working out what can be done to create a viable professional rugby product short term to avoid financial chaos got into with dwindling Super Rugby interest, in part driven by Super Rugby structure but bigger part also driven by poor performances of Oz teams.

As lets say next week worked out ARU cut a team and left with 5 teams, at this point that would look financially perilous heading into next season with crowds well down and looking to 2020 where it will be hard to see a good broadcast deal providing more or even same funds from last deal. Hence, it would be more a case of great 5 teams but for how long and at what cost?

Professional rugby is in crisis - financially been in difficult situations only not too long ago and it thought was with the last broadcast deal got out of that mess but now back in it with decline in Super Rugby interest from crowds and tv ratings perspective something has got to give.

Upthenuts

Dave Cowper (27)
would be positive if 60 000 sad lions fans now support their teams following the cheetahs and kings, progress would be no 3 am games and no midnight finals

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
If there is a process where each franchise has to submit a proper business plan, with achievable budgets. With quarterly cash flows etc.
Who else just doles out big lumps of cash and tells them give us. Call if you run into problem?

That's the sort of deal I'd want!

The ARU is supposed to have highly successful business people running it. How no one thought of this most basic concept amazes me.

T

TOCC

This only works if the governing body has superior financial nous then the clubs operating under them, something which the ARU have failed to demonstrate.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This only works if the governing body has superior financial nous then the clubs operating under them, something which the ARU have failed to demonstrate.

That's over-egging it, I think (not that I'm praising the ARU's capability).

But the fact in itself of having to regularly report up the chain does impose some measure of discipline at the lower level.

It may not be at the disinfectant grade of full sunlight on transparent and open books, but it will make it harder to hide away from stuff ups before reaching bigger failure.

T

TOCC

It goes both ways transparency back down the chain and being held accountable to your members imposes a level of discipline as well, again something which the ARU has failed to demonstrate.. they can't demand something of their member unions which they themselves are unable to demonstrate.

Reactions: dru

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yep. Fair point.

Got a feeling the main linchpins of the ARU will be gone soon.

But we must have some structural reform there as well, otherwise it will be the same old story with different names.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
When a newspaper (The Australian) prints a story about rugby that is full of information about share trading, put options, and ownership strategies we know we are on the wrong path.

T

TOCC

Australian Rugby as a whole requires a complete structural reform...
Abolish the state unions and consolidate under the one entity, a reborn version of the ARU. Break down Super Rugby teams and consolidate all back office functions into the one central office.

Super Rugby teams would have a GM and the the high performance department and staff directly required to run that, all remaining marketing, clerical, accounting staff would be rationalised into the one Australia Rugby head office.

State Unions would cease to exist in their current form, rather remain as a skeleton shell to represent and act as a conduit to the member unions within that state.

All this relies on a level of competence at the ARU leve though..

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Abolition from the top is not going to fly. I reckon this year's team chopping saga will show that in the wash up. Other ways of getting the required reforms for Australian rugby will have to be found.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Australian Rugby as a whole requires a complete structural reform.
Abolish the state unions and consolidate under the one entity, a reborn version of the ARU. Break down Super Rugby teams and consolidate all back office functions into the one central office.

Super Rugby teams would have a GM and the the high performance department and staff directly required to run that, all remaining marketing, clerical, accounting staff would be rationalised into the one Australia Rugby head office.

State Unions would cease to exist in their current form, rather remain as a skeleton shell to represent and act as a conduit to the member unions within that state.

All this relies on a level of competence at the ARU leve though..

You would need to think through the Board, currently nominated by the RUs. Without them we need accountability back to the grass roots. This would need some thought.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Statement from Victorian Rugby Union (VRU) President, Tim North QC (Quade Cooper)
The Victorian Rugby Union (VRU) has assumed control of the Melbourne Rebels after the ownership was transferred from Imperium Sports Management to the VRU, effective immediately. As a result, the VRU now hold all of the shares in the MRRU on behalf of the Victorian rugby community.
The VRU has notified the Australia Rugby Union (ARU) of the change in ownership. The VRU has always kept the ARU Board and management team informed of the proposed process. The put option has been in place and agreed upon by the VRU and ARU since June 2015.
The support of the Imperium Group during this challenging period has enabled the Melbourne Rebels to be returned to the ownership of the Victorian rugby community.
It’s important to recognise the work and support of Imperium’s Managing Director, Andrew Cox and fellow Director, Peter Sidwell for their leadership over the past two years.
Melbourne Rebels Chief Executive Officer Baden Stephenson added: “the contribution of Imperium Sports Management, led by Andrew, to the Melbourne Rebels and Victorian rugby over the last two years can’t be underestimated. During this incredibly challenging period, we’ve worked closely with Andrew and the Imperium team to ensure that we have built a strong squad for 2018 with the re-signing and recruitment of some great players to deliver the club some much-deserved success.”
It is also important to recognise the extraordinary support now, and over many years, of VRU Life Members, Lyndsey Cattermole AM and Bob Dalziel. Victorian and Australian Rugby is most fortunate to have the commitment of Lyndsey and Bob to the health and growth of the game in Victoria.
With the securing of the Rebels, the VRU can now build on its already impressive participation growth numbers and further strengthen the high-performance pathway that has seen nine young Victorian players contracted to the Rebels this year.
The hard work and dedication to the development of local talent has seen four home-grown Victorians become regular Super Rugby players with the Melbourne Rebels in the past two seasons, including Sione Tuipulotu (2016), Rob Leota (2016), Jordan Uelese (2017) and Fereti Sa’aga (2017).
The Melbourne Rebels continue to provide local aspiring players with a Victorian pathway to realise their Wallabies’ dreams and deliver a successful future for Victorian rugby on a local, national and international stage.
The proof of this is the fact that since the inception of the Melbourne Rebels, junior participation in Victorian rugby has increased by 97% per cent, along with total female participation in Victoria which has increased 78% in 2016 and now represents 24% of total participation.
Victorian Rugby continues to diversify the game to reflect the communities we live in, with significant growth not only in our women’s and girl’s competition, but also across Masters Rugby, Wheelchair Rugby and the Melbourne Chargers, winners of the Bingham Cup in 2016.
An interim Board has been established with great experience in the Super Rugby team, community, and business success providing stability and experience.
Today’s announcement sets in place the foundations for a secure and positive future for the Melbourne Rebels and Victorian Rugby.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Legal eagles, waddathafuck is a 'put option'?

Definition "an option to sell assets at an agreed price on or before a particular date."

Basically our understanding is that the contract had a clause where Imperium could sell to the VRU for $1 without requiring the ARU to approve.

But the ARU apparently forgot about this. Seem unlike them to forget what is in contracts that they have signed o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.