• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Regardless of all that. Surely the intent of the original clause was to revisit the Force being in the competition if the subsequent broadcast agreement (2020 or before) was insufficient for the ARU to 'support' all teams. That is the only logical reason I can think for its inconclusion.

If forces contract lawyer had realised the risk and put in some clarifying language as such then we wouldn't be where we are, they mightn't have foreseen this but still.

ARU using it to cut them when the new agreement has same $ and more $/team, essentially opposite of its original intent is bastardworthy but not illegal.

I'm not a lawyer but have had to Wade through plenty of contracts and negotiations on wording (providing technical and practical input).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Cat meet pigeons.

FFS, Pulver still doesn't get it.

Listen to Papworth speak and listen to Pulver speak. Then ask yourself; who sounds like they know what they're talking about?

If you showed that clip to sports followers who didn't know who was who, I'll bet that none of them could correctly identify which one was a volunteer official and which one was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars.

B

BLR

Well readers, another exclusive. if you were ever unsure what businessman Andrew Forrest really thought of the ARU’s conduct throughout the Super Rugby saga, it has been laid bare in this explosive letter to ARU chairman Cameron Clyne.
Twiggy’s view is perhaps best summed up by the following line: “The continual refusal to consider alternative solutions to the short-sighted and morally corrupt process you have, secretly, undertaken to exterminate the Western Force, is a terrible indictment of your stewardship.”
And if you had any doubt how determined the Perth billionaire was to continue his fight against that injustice, then consider the following line: “Win or lose the appeal, my support for the Western Force will not waiver and action to overturn your irresponsible decision will continue.”
However, perhaps most importantly, the letter reveals that Twiggy has made an offer to the ARU which rugby’s cash-strapped governing body simply can’t – or shouldn’t – refuse: “I have made it abundantly clear to the ARU, that my support extends nationally but is predicated on the national union conforming to the basic values of the game which seeks to nurture, support, and grow rugby on a national footprint.”
In other words, what we have here is a billionaire philanthropist offering to throw his support behind rugby nationally in Australia – on the proviso that the ARU maintains a national footprint for the code by keeping the Force. That should be music to the ears of every single rugby player and supporter throughout Australia – from the Dunsborough Dung Beetles under-6s to the Wallabies, from Rockingham to Rockhampton.
And every single one of those players and supporters around Australia should be asking the same question of Cameron Clyne: Why on earth won’t you meet with Andrew Forrest?
For his part, Twiggy has warned chairman Clyne what the consequences might be if the former NAB chief declines his offer to chew the fat about the state of the game in Australia: “Chairman, if you continue to refuse to meet with me, and if the ARU Board are unwilling to compel you, then I call on the Board to immediately resign and be replaced with leaders who are willing to act in the best interest of Australian rugby.”

http://nedlandsrugby.com.au/2017/08...-rugby-nationally-support-national-footprint/

I mean, come on now. This offer HAS to be looked at surely.

L

Leo86

Wow, in the above link is another link to the full letter sent by Twiggy. Im trying my hardest not to be bias here but how can the ARU let alone willingly not meet with a philanthropic billionaire... My god hear him out, whats the worst that could happen from giving an audience.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Wow, in the above link is another link to the full letter sent by Twiggy. Im trying my hardest not to be bias here but how can the ARU let alone willingly not meet with a philanthropic billionaire. My god hear him out, whats the worst that could happen from giving an audience.

Forrest's letter .

http://nedlandsrugby.com.au/wp-cont...ARU-Board-of-Directors_-Mr-Andrew-Forres-.pdf

18 August 2017
Mr Cameron Clyne
Chairman
Australian Rugby Union
Ground Floor,29-57 Christie Street
St Leonards, NSW, 2065

Dear Chairman and ARU Board of Directors,

I am a major supporter of rugby and our national team, the Wallabies. I am also a philanthropist and business leader who has become deeply concerned by your disrespectful behaviour to rugby, its national support base and blatant disregard for good governance.

You fabricated deception by stating you would meet me after the arbitration but instead chose to attempt to eliminate the Western Force the instant the arbitration concluded.

This cynical behaviour was met with an injunction to offer a final opportunity for a collaborative discussion. This was also met with rejection by you. You have consistently refused to release the “big spreadsheet” that purportedly supports your decision to eliminate the second best performing Australian Super Rugby side, with the fastest growing grass roots support base. It is already the third largest in Australia.

I have made it abundantly clear to the ARU, that my support extends nationally but is predicated on the national union conforming to the basic values of the game which seeks to nurture, support, and grow rugby on a national footprint.

This is not leadership. It is shockingly poor governance. The current crisis you have created is a neglect of your duties as Directors and a fundamental breach of your duties to the game.

As an Australian philanthropist and businessman, who is offering my full support to the Western Force, to RugbyWA and rugby generally in Australia, your approach to hiding behind litigation, instead of leadership, is personally and deeply upsetting to me. I do expect to be treated respectfully and I do not expect to be lied to, then repeatedly, denied an audience with you.

The continual refusal to consider alternative solutions to the short-sighted and morally corrupt process you have, secretly, undertaken to exterminate the Western Force, is a terrible indictment of your stewardship.

Next week, RugbyWA will contest in the New South Wales Supreme Court, the Arbitrator’s
interpretation of the “Alliance Agreement” which you have used to attempt to terminate the Western Force and to avoid meeting with me. Rugby in Australia and Western Australia deserves a future unstained by your falsehoods and incompetence.

Win or lose the appeal, my support for the Western Force will not waiver and action to overturn your irresponsible decision will continue.

I remain willing to meet with you to confirm the future financial viability of the Western Force, and to assist you in making a decision that has the support of your members and the broader Australian public.

Chairman, if you continue to refuse to meet with me, and if the ARU Board are unwilling to compel you, then I call on the Board to immediately resign and be replaced with leaders who are willing to act in the best interest of Australian rugby.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Forrest AO

dru

Tim Horan (67)
We.may not agree with the outcome but seriously, what do you reckon the chances are that the QC (Quade Cooper) with way more of the facts than we have, got this obviously wrong in law?

There may be a successful court case out there for the Force, but it's most probably not going to be based on the arbitration argument.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Happens all the time. It's why we have appellate courts.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They can't 'hightlight the relevant points'. They can appeal a decision to the HCA if they believe that the law has been incorrectly applied or interpreted. This usually means the hearing of the appeal is much narrower.

HCA appeal will be a matter of public record so some interesting information should come out of it.

Is this correct? It wasn't a decision in a lower court, it was arbitration. I always understood this relied on a level of agreement between the parties. If that agreement breaks down I doubt you'll see the decision as binding as you are suggesting.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is this correct? It wasn't a decision in a lower court, it was arbitration. I always understood this relied on a level of agreement between the parties. If that agreement breaks down I doubt you'll see the decision as binding as you are suggesting.
Arbitration is legally binding. Entering into the arbitration process is voluntary.

L

Leo86

To meet with him would be to admit that they might have made the wrong decision.

Admit to what i think the majority think is wrong. But seriously aside from 2017 there has been continuing financial issues, this could be the ARUs opportunity to better grow instead of shrink

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Forrest's letter .

http://nedlandsrugby.com.au/wp-cont.ARU-Board-of-Directors_-Mr-Andrew-Forres-.pdf

18 August 2017
Mr Cameron Clyne
Chairman
Australian Rugby Union
Ground Floor,29-57 Christie Street
St Leonards, NSW, 2065

Dear Chairman and ARU Board of Directors,

I am a major supporter of rugby and our national team, the Wallabies. I am also a philanthropist and business leader who has become deeply concerned by your disrespectful behaviour to rugby, its national support base and blatant disregard for good governance.

You fabricated deception by stating you would meet me after the arbitration but instead chose to attempt to eliminate the Western Force the instant the arbitration concluded.

This cynical behaviour was met with an injunction to offer a final opportunity for a collaborative discussion. This was also met with rejection by you. You have consistently refused to release the “big spreadsheet” that purportedly supports your decision to eliminate the second best performing Australian Super Rugby side, with the fastest growing grass roots support base. It is already the third largest in Australia.

I have made it abundantly clear to the ARU, that my support extends nationally but is predicated on the national union conforming to the basic values of the game which seeks to nurture, support, and grow rugby on a national footprint.

This is not leadership. It is shockingly poor governance. The current crisis you have created is a neglect of your duties as Directors and a fundamental breach of your duties to the game.

As an Australian philanthropist and businessman, who is offering my full support to the Western Force, to RugbyWA and rugby generally in Australia, your approach to hiding behind litigation, instead of leadership, is personally and deeply upsetting to me. I do expect to be treated respectfully and I do not expect to be lied to, then repeatedly, denied an audience with you.

The continual refusal to consider alternative solutions to the short-sighted and morally corrupt process you have, secretly, undertaken to exterminate the Western Force, is a terrible indictment of your stewardship.

Next week, RugbyWA will contest in the New South Wales Supreme Court, the Arbitrator’s
interpretation of the “Alliance Agreement” which you have used to attempt to terminate the Western Force and to avoid meeting with me. Rugby in Australia and Western Australia deserves a future unstained by your falsehoods and incompetence.

Win or lose the appeal, my support for the Western Force will not waiver and action to overturn your irresponsible decision will continue.

I remain willing to meet with you to confirm the future financial viability of the Western Force, and to assist you in making a decision that has the support of your members and the broader Australian public.

Chairman, if you continue to refuse to meet with me, and if the ARU Board are unwilling to compel you, then I call on the Board to immediately resign and be replaced with leaders who are willing to act in the best interest of Australian rugby.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Forrest AO

Sadly for Australian rugby, Twiggy is completely correct in his analysis of ARU corporate behaviour and accountability and the general incompetence of the management of the game by the ARU.

Some of us have been making comments along these lines re the ARU, NSWRU, QRU et al for some time.

M

Moono75

Twiggy could very well be to Rugby as Kerry Packer was to Cricket. Lets hope so. The ARU needs a massive overhaul and Twiggy is turning the spotlight onto their incompetence. Go Twiggy and go the Force!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is an appeal with extremely limited scope. The facts are now the facts. This isn't a new court case. There is no opportunity to introduce new evidence.

The appeal of granted, is limited to an obvious error of law. Ie how the arbitrator applied the law to the facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't sound like it's an appeal because there is no decision by a court or tribunal at first instance yet.

An alleged breach of contract (Alliance Agreement) appears to be what is at stake.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Well what a week great vid by SBS.

Campo just announced he is coming home and wants to help.

Twiggy is applying the """ blow torch to the belly of the ARU""'

Pappy is starting to be listened too and not considered a ratbag basket case.

Maybe there is a silver lining after all .

The time has come children, from wayyyyyyyyy back.

Status
Not open for further replies.